Apple Pay Default Credit Card Only

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dgbarar, Nov 16, 2017.

1. dgbarar macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Hi All,

I have a Series 3 Watch operating under Watch OS 4.1 that I use with my iPhone 8 operating under iOS 11.1.1 I have 4 credit cards that I have in my wallet on both the Watch and the iPhone. With the phone I am able to easily select which card I want to use to make my purchase. However, with my Apple Watch, while I can select which credit card I want to use from the watch, after the purchase the Watch reports that the charge has been made to default credit card.

This behavior is different from my Series 0 Watch/iPhone 6S where I was able to select which card to make a purchase with my Watch.

Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

Donald Barar

2. powerslave65 macrumors 6502

powerslave65

swipe left to right reveals the other cards on my Series 3.

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Also at the bottom on the screen you can see the number of (standard) 'page' dots that represents the swipe 'pages' cards.

4. dgbarar, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017

dgbarar thread starter macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Hi Powerslave,

Thanks for writing.

That is what I do. I select a credit card by swiping to the left. However, regardless which credit card I select from the watch, the watch reports back that the charge was made to the default card.

If you have more than one credit card, are using Watch OS 4.1 and iOS 11.1.1 what behavior do you get?

Donald Barar

5. powerslave65 macrumors 6502

powerslave65

I do know that once you have swiped to the correct card and it appears on the watch face, you should then hold it near the reader and feel a taptic pulse and a message on the screen that the transaction is complete. I will have try it again the next time I shop and select one of the other cards. Will let ya know.

6. dgbarar thread starter macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Hi Powerslave,

Once i swipe to the correct card it appears on the face for me as well. Then I hold it up to the reader and double click. I too get the tapic telling me that the transaction is complete. However, when I look at the Watch face, it shows the default card. And receipt show the default card as well.

Your input is important to me as I have been going round and round with Apple support with several different consultants who have put me through all sorts of tests and gyrations. The last person I talked with at Apple told me that the new operating system only supports charges to the default card from the Watch. I find this hard to believe as why have the ability to select cards on the Watch if all I am going to get is the default card.

I do so very much look forward to the results of your test as this will help me bunches.

Donald Barar

7. NoBoMac Moderator

NoBoMac

Staff Member

This might be the problem. Shouldn't the sequence be: double click, select card, hold to reader.

Same as phone: double tap the home button, will always bring up the default card.

ADD:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201239

8. dgbarar thread starter macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Hi NoBoMac,

Interesting thought. Let me give that a try and report back.

Don Barar

9. dgbarar thread starter macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Hi NiBoMac,

Thank you again for you suggestion. Gave it try, but that is not how the Watch works. After selecting the non-default credit card from the Watch display, you are directed to "double-click" the button to make the payment. However, the action of "double clicking" brings up the default credit card to make the payment.

Donald Barar

10. powerslave65 macrumors 6502

powerslave65

Your are supposed to double click enter passcode
    Just as NoBoMac said you may be doing the process incorrectly for the desired card even though it's still executing a payment. Double click the side button, enter your code if set up that way, swipe select the card you wish to use, then hold near reader and wait for taptic feedback. That's it. If you double click again next to the reader you are starting the process over again and it will select your default card.

11. friednoodles Suspended

I suspect dgbarar is opening the Wallet app first, which isn't necessary.

Don't open the Wallet app. While on the watch face, simply double click the side button, swipe to select the card you want to use, then hold it to the reader. Done.

12. dgbarar thread starter macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Gentlemen:

Thank you all again for your help. Friednoodles, I am not opening the wallet app. Everything is being done from the watch.

In the past with a Series 0 Watch/Watch OS 3.x and iPhone 6S/iOS 10.x I used the follow process:
    1. From the Watch, select a credit card.
    2. Invert the Watch near the NFC reader.
    3. Double clicked the button.
    While somewhat awkward, this process always resulted with a charge to the correct credit card. However, since implementation of Watch OS 4.x/iOS 11.x this process no longer works and results in payments to the default credit card.

After reading PowerSlave's comments this morning I tried again with a different procedure:
    1. On the Watch select the credit card I want to make my charges.
    2. At the "double click" prompt on the watch, "double click" the button with the Watch away from the NFC reader.
    3. Invert the watch, and place near the NFC reader.
    This process (and less awkward to what I did in the past) resulted in payments being made to the correct credit card and not the default card.

Thank you all so very much for your help.

Donald Barar

13. friednoodles, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017

friednoodles Suspended

Interesting! I've never seen the "double click" prompt other than in the Wallet app. Glad to hear it's sorted out though!

Edit: Maybe I never see this prompt because I've usually opened Apple Pay in advance of getting near the terminal so I select my card first. Whereas, if Apple Pay is auto-launched by moving the watch close to the terminal, perhaps it then always shows the "double click" prompt to get confirmation of the payment and allow switching cards. Never thought of that before!

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I’ve never had the watch ask me to double click the side button to make the charge.

I double click the side button to bring up the list of cards. I select the one I want, then hold Watch to the card reader. Charge is made. No request from the watch to double click. Maybe it’s if you have wrist detection turned off?

15. friednoodles Suspended

That's what I do, but I suspect - like with the iPhone - that if you simply bring the watch into range of the terminal without having already launched Apple Pay, Apple Pay will auto-launch when it detects the NFC signal, and then it probably shows the double click prompt to prevent someone accidentally making a payment without having confirmed it via the button.

By bringing up Apple Pay first, like we do, we don't get prompted for the double click because we've already indicated to the watch that we intend to make a payment.

16. dgbarar thread starter macrumors 6502

dgbarar

Hi Friednoodles:

Now I understand what you wrote when you meant that I was going to the wallet app. When you wrote that I thought that you meant the Watch App/Wallet App on the iPhone. My interpretation of what you were saying was incorrect.

In fact, I was going to the wallet app on the Watch, selecting a card, and then being prompted to "double click".

Reading yours and xraydocs comments made me review my process again. If I first "double click" the button when I want make a purchase, my default card comes up. But, I can also scroll through the cards to select the card I want. After doing that I get a prompt from my watch to "Hold Near Reader to Pay".

I like your process much better than what I am doing and will adopt it for the future.

Thanks again for yours and everyone else's help.

Donald Barar

17. friednoodles Suspended

Ah! Glad to hear the information helped!

You can even use the double click shortcut to Apple Pay from anywhere on the Watch (even while in another app) :)