Apple pay didn't work for me

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by My1stApple, May 6, 2015.

1. My1stApple macrumors regular

My1stApple

I just tried to use apple pay on my watch for the first time on Walgreens and it didn't work. It kept saying "ready..." and nothing happened. I ended up taking out my card and paying with it #
    Has anyone had this problem?

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Was there a green dot lit up on the card reader? I have been to walgreens a few times since apple pay launched where the reader just wasn't on for whatever reason.

3. My1stApple thread starter macrumors regular

My1stApple

Yes, it was on, but somehow it didn't work.

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Strange I have never had it fail to work if the light was on.

5. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I have used Apple pay on my watch at Panera Bread and Whole Foods, worked great. Tried it at Walgreens and it would not work, iPhone wouldn't work either.

6. JSB1540, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015

JSB1540 macrumors 6502

7. Uccle macrumors regular

Apple pay via the watch has been hit and miss with me. The first time I tried it at my local grocery it went through on the second attempt. The next time I tried it at the same store I would feel the haptic feedback that told me the charge went through but it didn't. I tried it three times before getting out iPhone and doing it "old-school".

I then went to a whole foods to try and it went through without a hitch first try.

After you've double checked your settings, you might want to report this back to Apple. There is an on-line form for reporting stores that show they accept Apple Pay but where the terminals aren't (all) working. I've also had trouble with walgreens from time to time with apple pay on the iPhone.

8. popeye88 macrumors member

I tried Apple Pay on my watch for the first time yesterday at McDonalds, and it didn't work. Pulled out my phone (which has worked many times before) and it also didn't work. Normally at McD's there is a yellow light that comes on when the reader is on, but this time there wasn't.

Tried it again today, and it worked with no issue. You may just want to give it a try again somewhere else. Worse case, I would imagine you could test it at an Apple Store.

9. My1stApple thread starter macrumors regular

My1stApple

Yes, I guess it is hit or miss. I'll try it again some other time and see what happens. I was really exited to try it. It's a shame it didn't work#

10. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

It was probably the terminal bugging out. I have encountered a couple terminals over the last few months that do not properly interact for payment. I use the Apple Pay on the watch basically every day and it has no issues at several locations. In one case, at a gas station, it works fine in the convenience store but one of the gas pumps sensor doesn't respond properly while the others do.

In other words, this is probably just a failure at the other end. Try it someplace else. Also remember you need to have the face of the watch near the terminal, you can't have your arm in the way.

11. Q Bert macrumors regular

Q Bert

Apple Pay works flawlessly for me via the watch. I even tried it at a vending machine at work. Love it !!!

12. Dabullfrog macrumors newbie

So I just went to subway and tried to use Apple pay via my watch for the first time and FAIL! I was so disappointed, and nearly caused a riot as the cashier kept insisting that she reboot the register in between attempts. I'm not sure if it didn't work because of the cashier's ignorance (she told me twice that she didn't think they had Apple pay) or because I left my phone in the car and it was out of range (although I believe Apple pay is supposed to be a feature that works even with the phone off). One thing I can say for sure is that I have used my phone's Apple pay at that Subway numerous times without incident... And to answer the inevitable question, the NFC reader was on and even lit up green as I activated Apple pay. I'm interested if others have had similar issues.

13. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

make sure you double tap the friends/power button. I've brought it up in passbook before and nothing happened, thinking I had activated the NFC radio already.

I have had no issues paying with my Watch...it's super convenient and imho one of the best features AW has to offer.

Walgreens is an AP partner, but some NFC merchants have disabled Apple Pay in favor of other NFC based payment companies.

14. Dabullfrog macrumors newbie

The odd thing in my particular case was that (after double clicking the button) when I held my watch to the NFC terminal the little )))) symbol lit up green one at a time then my haptic went off and the terminal reset to a welcome message but the transaction never closed or charged my card. We tried three times with the same result, and I KNOW that apple pay works there. Has anyone been successful using apple pay when their watch is disconnected from their phone?