Apple Pay disabled due to security settings

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by MoparShaha, Dec 13, 2018.

1. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I'm having an issue with Apple Pay on my 2018 13" MBP. In the Apple Pay settings, it says "Apple Pay has been disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified". This is a relatively new machine, and I did a clean install a week ago. The secure boot settings are on "Full", and I haven't changed any other security settings. Everything is up to date.

The only apps I've installed outside the App Store are Adobe Creative Cloud, Office 365, and Xerox printer drivers.

Has anyone run into this issue?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 2.12.13 PM.png

2. chrfr macrumors 604

What version of macOS is your computer running?

3. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

I have run into this issue too recently, no recent changes to my computer that I'm aware of. I am on 10.14.2. would appreciate if anyone has any advice on fixing it

4. cynics macrumors G4

Using the latest version of iOS and is secure boot set to its high setting?

5. MoparShaha thread starter macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I've solved the issue. Turns out you have to have "Install system data files and security updates" checked in the Advanced section of the Software Update System Preferences panel. I had turned it off because I often tether, and didn't want my Mac downloading files automatically. Once I rechecked it, Apple Pay started working again.

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 10.36.30 AM.png

6. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

hm strange, that setting on mine is checked, and I never unchecked it. still shows that Apple Pay can't be enabled for me.

7. BuzzingCricket macrumors newbie

Have you found a fix for this? I'm now experiencing this. Between the time when Apple Pay worked, I had installed Bitdefender (Mac) and Windows 10 (Boot Camp), but I'm hoping it's not caused by either. I've also followed Apple's instruction regarding the Startup Security Tool and the options in Software Update, and still nothing...

8. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

no fix. the only thing I did install before this problem was Volta, which messes with the SIP security settings, and I still have it enabled for better battery control. I have a feeling that is what is causing the issue.

9. BuzzingCricket macrumors newbie

Thanks for the update! It’s strange that no warning is shown when something is installed that can change security settings that can also disable Apple Pay.

I plan to contact Apple and will report back if it’s fixed.

10. DeanLubaki macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

11. BuzzingCricket macrumors newbie

Yep, I do have a password. Strangely enough, I noticed last week that wallet works again. No change was made, so not sure how it fixed itself...