Apple Pay doesn't trigger after using Passbook loyalty card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmiw, Feb 22, 2015.

1. tmiw macrumors 68000

Last night I tried using Apple Pay at Walgreens. I swiped from my lock screen to show my Walgreens card, which the clerk scanned. When it was time to pay, however, the Apple Pay screen would not come up. Usually I can get it to come up by unlocking the phone and then trying again but for some reason even that didn't work. I eventually just swiped my card.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any workarounds? I might have to go back to entering my phone number on the terminal because iOS has been glitchy like this before.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Does this only happen after using the loyalty card in Passbook or are you able to reproduce this issue of Apple Pay not coming up if you skip the loyalty card? If the latter, it might indicate a hardware failure in the NFC loop, which a few members have reported. NFC can fail just like any other hardware in the iPhone, in which case Apple will be happy to swap it out under warranty.

If this issue is a bug restricted to using a loyalty card, a possible workaround is to store your loyalty card in a third party app like CardStar rather than Passbook, similar to the workaround that people use for boarding pass interfering with Apple Pay (open the boarding pass in the airline app rather than send it to Passbook, in order for the airport QR/NFC scanner not to bring up Apple Pay when you're trying to scan the boarding pass).

3. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

I'll have to try Apple Pay again at another merchant to be able to tell you for sure. I still don't come across places that support it nearly often enough. FWIW I last used it on Friday at the vending machines at work and it worked fine then.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Okay, if you happen to uncover an Apple Pay bug related to using a loyalty card from within the Passbook, report it to Apple.

5. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

I was able to confirm that Apple Pay works fine at multiple places as long as you don't need to use a Passbook card. I'll look into submitting something at that link.

6. BrettDS macrumors 65816

For what it's worth, In the past few weeks I've used applepay several times at walgreens after using passbook for their loyalty card. I've been using the 8.2 and 8.3 beta's, though, so it's possible it's a bug that was fixed in the betas..

7. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

The same thing happens to me at Walgreens. I'll bring up the Walgreens card from the lock screen, and then Pay will fail to launch when it's time to pay. It's slightly embarrassing how long it takes to recover... trying to unlock the phone (with touch ID failing to unlock it the first couple of tries from doing it so hurriedly), going to the screen where passbook is, and then selecting the card and hoping touch ID works the first time then. This is then followed by the "20 questions" on the terminal. Definitely not as convenient and elegant of a process as it should be.