Apple Pay estimated sales tax?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Kevsta26, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

I was charged an extra $2.20 in tax by using Apple Pay because it estimated the sales tax would be $11 when it was actually $8.80.

Will I be refunded the $2.20 eventually, or so I just have to agree with whatever Apple Pay estimates?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

:apple:Pay does NOT have anything to do with it. All amounts of any purchase are determined by the store and approved by your financial institution. :apple:Pay is just the vehicle to carry all the info. So any questions must be directed to the store or your bank.

3. Kevsta26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well the store specifically shows I paid $2.20 less, and if I repeat the order, Apple Pay says I pay an estimated tax of $11, when the order shows the actual tax is $8.80, meaning Apple Pay is charging me $2.20 more. I don't see how that is the store or my banks fault.

4. Julien, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Agin it is 100% the store (or your bank) that is doing it (and everything) no matter what they say, show or do. Apple doesn't do anything because it CAN'T. :apple:Pay is just a 'dumb pipe for the water to flow through'. Apple has NO WAY of looking at, modifying, understanding, adding to, decrypting, or changing a transaction in any way. To Apple (or any other 3ed party) the transaction information is just a nonsensical jumble of data. It is 100% 'no can do' for Apple to modify in any way.

Read this for an understanding of how :apple:Pay works and how it is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone including Apple to modify a transaction.

http://www.kirklennon.com/a/applepay.html