Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to launching in Russia and at The Co-operative Bank and Metro Bank in the United Kingdom this week, Apple Pay is now available at Canadian credit union Desjardins, serving some 5.8 million members, and to residents of three tiny British Crown dependencies: Guernsey, Isle of Man, and Jersey.

apple-pay-desjardins.jpg

Desjardins members can use Apple Pay with Visa credit or prepaid cards or Interac debit cards. Desjardins said its MasterCard cards will be supported in 2017. Eligible cards can be added to Apple Pay by tapping the "Add Credit or Debit Card" option in the Wallet app on iPhone 5 and later running at least iOS 8.1.

Apple Pay continues to expand to additional banks and countries, with New Zealand, Japan, and Taiwan reportedly set to launch the mobile payments service in the near future. Last year, Apple Pay vice president Jennifer Bailey said Apple is "working rapidly" to expand the service to additional countries in Asia and Europe.

Article Link: Apple Pay Expands to Desjardins in Canada and 3 Tiny British Regions

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
there are now 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 banks and credit unions that support Apple Pay. :)

There are 2 retail centers in the US where you can actually use Apple pay from one of those banks. :(

(slight exaggeration in both directions but my point stands) :D

Reactions: KazKam

jmh600cbr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2012
there are now 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 banks and credit unions that support Apple Pay. :)

There are 2 retail centers in the US where you can actually use Apple pay from one of those banks. :(

(slight exaggeration in both directions but my point stands) :D

too bad for you. in canada we can use it at almost all retailers, diners, gas stations.....

canadianreader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
Still no support for Amazon Canada credit card and no support Hudson's Bay Credit card and many others

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Surprised Desjardins has even managed to get Apple Pay in the first place. Also, they're not "tiny british territories", they're "british territories". :) Pretty much everything that isn't tiny is no longer a british territory.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

So far I've been able to use it everywhere I've tried that supports contactless payments, whether or not it specifically says it supports Apple Pay, and even if they aren't partnering with Apple.

The big incentive for me is that the chip process takes about 10 seconds, swipe about 4 seconds, and Apple Pay about 1/10000000th of a second.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm actually surprised when I go to a place that doesn't support it.

Me too. I kind of shame stores when they don't take it — which is a rare case these days.

One such case: Hero Burgers had until recently turned off tap payments but even though they've now turned it on, ApplePay is still hit or miss. This week, I ran into a Hero Burger without my wallet and customized the hell out of a burger. Then went to pay with my Watch. Didn't work. I tried again. No luck. Tried with my iPhone. The owner kept trying different things, even held my wrist to see if he had the magic touch. Nothing worked. I told him: This isn't the Watch. Your payments processor just doesn't accept it. You might want to get that fixed. Soon, all of your customers are going to want to pay with their phones and watches. He agreed.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Me too. I kind of shame stores when they don't take it — which is a rare case these days.

One such case: Hero Burgers had until recently turned off tap payments but even though they've now turned it on, ApplePay is still hit or miss. This week, I ran into a Hero Burger without my wallet and customized the hell out of a burger. Then went to pay with my Watch. Didn't work. I tried again. No luck. Tried with my iPhone. The owner kept trying different things, even held my wrist to see if he had the magic touch. Nothing worked. I told him: This isn't the Watch. Your payments processor just doesn't accept it. You might want to get that fixed. Soon, all of your customers are going to want to pay with their phones and watches. He agreed.

Well, the cases where I don't get to use it are mostly mom and pop shops. I just assumed the terminal is on contract, much like most phones, and not due for upgrade soon. I give them a break as it is truly a first world problem and it will be all changed given a few years.

Walmart, though, doesn't accept tap, although I haven't been there in a long time.

What gets me is the 100$ limit in most stores, mainly when I do groceries. Last time I went, it cost me 10x.xx (like 101 or 102) and I had to, sigh!, get my card out of my pockets!

I long for a day where I could go wallet-free, but since that it not for now, I still have my card with me anyways.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Well, the cases where I don't get to use it are mostly mom and pop shops. I just assumed the terminal is on contract, much like most phones, and not due for upgrade soon. I give them a break as it is truly a first world problem and it will be all changed given a few years.

Walmart, though, doesn't accept tap, although I haven't been there in a long time.

What gets me is the 100$ limit in most stores, mainly when I do groceries. Last time I went, it cost me 10x.xx (like 101 or 102) and I had to, sigh!, get my card out of my pockets!

I long for a day where I could go wallet-free, but since that it not for now, I still have my card with me anyways.

Even mom and pop shops. If they accept debit, almost always, they'll accept tap and therefore ApplePay. Small retailers rent their payment terminals so they get replaced pretty quickly if a new feature like NFC is favoured by their payments processor.

The one notable holdout is Hudson's Bay. They have these massive PIN pad boxes that seem to have been made to order for all of their stores and they've been around for 5 or 6 years so they don't have NFC.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

Must be a local restriction. Walmart UK, aka Asda does accept AP in pretty much all but the few smaller stores that still have older chip and pin terminals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.