Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I'm posting this in as many Apple Pay related things I can find, but previously when I tried to add my RBC MasterCard or TD Visa, I was told "The issuer does not support this card". My RBC card still does, but my TD Visa now says "An error occurred" making it seem like maybe the TD cards are now attempting to actually contact TD Canada Trust but something isn't fully set up (obviously).

This is partially confirmed via iphoneincanada blog
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Signs are coming but when is the question! I hope by year end at the latest..though I'm not holding my breath.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Despite the market itself, and its potential, Apple Pay might not be able to trigger a massive revolution of NFC payment in the near future. It is more like integrating with Taobao, Tianmao and Alipay to enable in-app Apple Pay purchase.

But yeah, if Apple Pay can support public transit system payment, like what it has done in London, UK, that would be great. I hope one day I can just carry my phone to use Opal card, rather than carrying one more card with me.

Reactions: appledefenceforce

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I'm struggling to see how they'll gain traction with it. Sure, lots of people have iPhones... But pretty much everyone already uses Alipay - whose app is on both IOS and android, and is accepted (via qr code scanning) in a large number of places. Taobao, where a lot of money is spent online, is fully integrated with alipay (as are a few other online apps, my Walmart groceries for example) - and the app lets me confirm to pay with one tap of Touch ID already.

I can't see what benefit Apple Pay will have, beyond allowing dual currency credit cards to be registered and used on trips to the us, U.K. Etc.

[edit: being morning here, maybe I was too hasty. Payment here requires a PIN number for most cards and always also a signature. All bank cards issued in the last couple of years have contactless, but it works in a funny way in that you have to set off or top up an amount of money in the first place as a pool for the card to access, it's not like back in the uk. I think the infrastructure is there already in a lot of cities, it just isn't used. If Apple Pay can eliminate signatures then it will speed up payments in restaurants etc. but when restaurants have a single cashiers desk to go to (as most do) speed of payment is one of those things that really only helps the people behind you.]

The big win would be integrating with the various cities' transport cards as a contactless solution. If my phone could pay for my metro travel that would be a big deal to me. But that would require big changes on their part, I believe - I'm pretty sure when TfL launched contactless in London they'd had to upgrade the hardware in their Oyster card readers, it's not just a software fix.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I'm surprised since Apple is the biggest market in China, it's not the first or second at Apple pay.

Why did it take till 2016 for China if Apple has a big market there ? Shouldn't it have been at the same time as U.S ?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I'm surprised since Apple is the biggest market in China, it's not the first or second at Apple pay.

Why did it take till 2016 for China if Apple has a big market there ? Shouldn't it have been at the same time as U.S ?

the rumours have been going around that long.

the problem is the regulation and market conditions. apple only really had to bring on one of visa and mastercard and the other would give in - bingo, you have your entry point to market and can begin discussions with banks in western countries e.g. the US and UK

china unionpay is owned by the state, i believe, as are many of the banks.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
0.15 for every $100 is a big cut? :confused:

how much of that $100 do the bank get now? it's not 0.15 of every $100 thats the "problem", it's 0.15 of whatever the bank take... the average "interchange fee" is 1.79% and some of that goes to visa or mastercard.

so the bank get somewhere around $1.50 per $100. apple wants 10% of that... if i offered to come and error check your work for 10% of your wages, would you say yes?

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
how much of that $100 do the bank get now? it's not 0.15 of every $100 thats the "problem", it's 0.15 of whatever the bank take... the average "interchange fee" is 1.79% and some of that goes to visa or mastercard.

so the bank get somewhere around $1.50 per $100. apple wants 10% of that... if i offered to come and error check your work for 10% of your wages, would you say yes?

It really depends on what country you're talking about.

In the states, credit card companies pay a heck of a lot more than that just in rewards dollars to me.

In China, sure they make less money per transaction, but it shouldn't be Apple's problem... the government should mandate higher interchange fees, not lower ones.

kdarling

macrumors P6
0.15 for every $100 is a big cut? :confused:

In some countries, it's a HUGE cut.

For example, contactless fees in many EU countries such as France are only around 0.22%. The UK, which might be capping theirs soon the same way, is currently 0.65%. Either way, giving Apple 0.15% is impossible to support.

In Canada, the debit card fee is $0.006 (6/10ths of a penny) per transaction. In the US, Apple demands 1/2 cent per debit transaction, or what would be almost the entire Canadian fee.

--

And that's just the tip of the Apple Pay iceberg. Banks also have to pay Visa/MC etc for tokenization services per transaction. For example, MC charges $0.50 for provisioning a token, and $0.025 per token API call.

The banks also have to hire extra help centers for Apple Pay.

Moreover, they have to give Apple constant reports about purchase types and places... information that was formerly proprietary.

--

At least MC and the banks are providing servers and services and comms and fraud handling to earn their per-transaction fee.

OTOH, Apple itself has no such costs during a transaction, since they only provide the device (which they already made a huge profit on). The fee is basically a charge for access to their users (a classic the-customer-is-the-product scenario).

Last edited:
Reactions: Corrode and weckart

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
In some countries, it's a HUGE cut.

For example, contactless fees in many EU countries such as France are only around 0.22%. The UK, which might be capping theirs soon the same way, is currently 0.65%. Either way, giving Apple 0.15% is impossible to support.

In Canada, the debit card fee is $0.006 (6/10ths of a penny) per transaction. In the US, Apple demands 1/2 cent per debit transaction, or what would be almost the entire Canadian fee.

--

And that's just the tip of the Apple Pay iceberg. Banks also have to pay Visa/MC etc for tokenization services per transaction. For example, MC charges $0.50 for provisioning a token, and $0.025 per token API call.

The banks also have to hire extra help centers for Apple Pay.

Moreover, they have to give Apple constant reports about purchase types and places... information that was formerly proprietary.

--

At least MC and the banks are providing servers and services and comms and fraud handling to earn their per-transaction fee.

OTOH, Apple itself has no such costs during a transaction, since they only provide the device (which they already made a huge profit on). The fee is actually a charge for access to their customers (a classic customer-is-the-product scenario).

You also have to remember one size doesn't fit all...

$0.15 of every $100 in the United States isn't the same as in other countries... Every country's currency holds a different value.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
It really depends on what country you're talking about.

In the states, credit card companies pay a heck of a lot more than that just in rewards dollars to me.

In China, sure they make less money per transaction, but it shouldn't be Apple's problem... the government should mandate higher interchange fees, not lower ones.

i'm talking about the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interchange_fee - the average interchange fee is 1.79%. Obviously this will be higher for credit cards, and lower for debit cards. Hence why banks are even less keen to come aboard (the credit card companies, conversely, probably think it's a pretty good deal because of their liabilities in case of fraud etc)

that last statement is ridiculous. either every merchant in the country should make less profit and funnel it to apple, or everyone should pay more money for things - again funneled to apple? what planet do you live on?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
You also have to remember one size doesn't fit all...

$0.15 of every $100 in the United States isn't the same as in other countries... Every country's currency holds a different value.

what does that even mean? if you're saying $0.15 of every $100 you're referring to a cut of 0.15% (not a flat fee)

so that's 1.5RMB of every 1000 RMB, 15 JPY of every 10000 JPY, 0.15HKD of every 100HKD and so on...

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
what does that even mean? if you're saying $0.15 of every $100 you're referring to a cut of 0.15% (not a flat fee)

so that's 1.5RMB of every 1000 RMB, 15 JPY of every 10000 JPY, 0.15HKD of every 100HKD and so on...

It means 0.15% of 100 yen is actually 0.001 US Dollars, and so on.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
You just said it's a flat percentage.

Right. You said $0.15 of every $100 holds a different value in every currency.

That's wrong. It holds the same value of 0.15%... The transaction size will change according to the value of the currency also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.