Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay's Express Mode has rolled out to all TTC subway stations in Toronto, allowing riders to simply hold their iPhone or Apple Watch near the reader at the turnstile to pay for their fare. With Express Mode, payment can be completed without waking or unlocking the device, or authenticating with Face ID, Touch ID, or a passcode. Express Mode even works for up to five hours after an iPhone has run out of battery power.

Apple-Pay-Canada.jpg

As noted by Toronto resident Andrew Escobar, it is still not possible to add a PRESTO card to the Apple Wallet app, so Express Mode is limited to credit and debit cards added to the Wallet app for now. Public documents related to recent TTC meetings suggest that the PRESTO card will gain Apple Wallet support later this year.

To set up a credit or debit card for use with Apple Pay, open the Wallet app on the iPhone, tap the plus sign in the top-right corner, and follow the on-screen instructions. To set a payment card as the default option for Express Mode, open the Settings app on the iPhone, tap Wallet & Apple Pay, tap Express Transit Card, and select a card.

Some payment readers elsewhere in the TTC system already worked with Apple Pay's Express Mode. Apple periodically updates a list of locations where Apple Pay's Express Mode is available for transit on its iOS feature availability page.

Article Link: Apple Pay Express Mode Now Available at All Toronto Subway Stations

Last edited:

Hyperchaotic

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2005
Great, now Vancouver needs to follow suit.

I've been pressing the feedback link on the Translink website once a year requesting wallet support for the Compass card and Compass concession card. They're expecting me know, last response were:

"Thanks again for your email, and your continued feedback regarding the mobile wallet option.

The ability to add the Compass Card to a mobile wallet continues to be explored as an alternate payment option. Rest assured, your comments remain on file in support of the feature. "

I get the feeling they're trying to tell me something about my annual mails.

Pls feel free to let them know you want it too.

mxmgodin

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Toronto, ON
Is there a source for this other than a random tweet? There is no information about this on the TTC website, and the FAQ on the Presto website still states:
Yes, you can use Express Mode in Apple Wallet to tap a credit or debit card onto a PRESTO device to get on the TTC buses, streetcars and accessible taxis. Express Mode in Apple Wallet is not available at TTC subways.
I have no doubt that updates to allow Express Mode in the stations are underway and might already be functional in some stations, but there doesn't seem to be an announcement yet about the feature being officially supported by the whole network.

StanleyOmar

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2014
Dallas lets you use a credit card in Apple Pay much like New York, and Toronto.

NO EXPRESS MODE THOUGH! GAHHHH!!! WHY?
I didn't even know Express Mode was a thing until right now, so maybe it'll happen eventually. Definitely welcomed on the TTC!

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I don't ride the TTC very often but I've been using Apple Pay directly on turnstiles and streetcar terminals for almost a year, when Presto was opened up to Apple Pay. I usually just tap my Watch and I don't have to open Wallet first. I even selected my AMEX as my Express Transit card in Settings at the time of this post on Threads:

iPedro on Threads

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 2.43.13 PM.png

Did the TTC just now get around to announcing it?

Reactions: kToni73

StanleyOmar

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2014
I don't ride the TTC very often but I've been using Apple Pay directly on turnstiles and streetcar terminals for almost a year, when Presto was opened up to Apple Pay. I usually just tap my Watch and I don't have to open Wallet first. I even selected my AMEX as my Express Transit card in Settings at the time of this post on Threads:

iPedro on Threads

View attachment 2363051

Did the TTC just now get around to announcing it?
It seems to be activated for actual transit cards automatically, and since we can't add PRESTO to the wallet, maybe they just forget to mention this extra step.

dgb25

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2018
Is there a source for this other than a random tweet? There is no information about this on the TTC website, and the FAQ on the Presto website still states:

I have no doubt that updates to allow Express Mode in the stations are underway and might already be functional in some stations, but there doesn't seem to be an announcement yet about the feature being officially supported by the whole network.
I have been using it for about a month on various TTC options (Subway, Streetcar and Buses) with no issue.

I just figured that once they supposed contactless CC payments, that express mode would just work. Surprised to hear that it is something that TTC/Metrolinx would have to enable since it is more of a phone feature.

Used express mode extensively in London a few weeks ago. Great feature.

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
I just figured that once they supposed contactless CC payments, that express mode would just work. Surprised to hear that it is something that TTC/Metrolinx would have to enable since it is more of a phone feature.
The terminals need to be updated to send the necessary digital signature to your iPhone or Apple Watch to identify themselves as an authorized transit terminal. Otherwise, Express Mode would be a criminal's dream, as any portable NFC payment terminal — like a Square reader — could be used to steal money from you simply by brushing it up against your device.

I don't ride the TTC that often, but I've had trouble with Express Mode at subway stations, so it's not hard to believe it hadn't been rolled out everywhere. Maybe at some stations, but it definitely wasn't working at most of the ones from Eglinton West up to Wilson the last time I tried it — I've always had to unlock my iPhone or Apple Watch first. Likewise, Andrew (who is cited in the article) also mentioned on Twitter/X that he only discovered it because it suddenly started working at Lawrence after months of stubborn persistence through the failures.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I have been using it for about a month on various TTC options (Subway, Streetcar and Buses) with no issue.

Used express mode extensively in London a few weeks ago. Great feature.

Thank you for confirming that you've been using it for months. The person quoted in this article was just wrong and is unwilling to accept repeated evidence – including the TTC's own comms.

I've had Express Transit enabled since the beginning. Here's a screenshot I took in January after using it with my battery dead on my Watch.

IMG_6335 2.JPG

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
Here's a screenshot I took in January after using it with my battery dead on my Watch.
I'm sincerely trying not to sound snarky or contentious here, and I genuinely believe you when you say that it's been working at whatever TTC stations you frequent for a while now... but I have to point out that the screenshot you supplied doesn't really prove anything :)

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm sincerely trying not to sound snarky or contentious here, and I genuinely believe you when you say that it's been working at whatever TTC stations you frequent for a while now... but I have to point out that the screenshot you supplied doesn't really prove anything :)

It demonstrates that Express Transit was working on my phone at least as far back as January.

I live central to 5 subway stations all within a <5 minute walk of me in all directions so I use all of them: Osgoode, St. Andrew, Union, King, and Queen stations. I also frequent St. Patrick, Museum, St. George, Broadview and Bloor/Yonge stations. And I take the 504 and 501 streetcars regularly. I just tap my Watch to go through the turnstile or get on the streetcar without unlocking first. Around the time of this screenshot, I tapped my Watch to go through, it worked but I noticed my Watch battery was dead. That's Express Transit. I haven't carried a Presto card in almost a year.

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
It demonstrates that Express Transit was working on my phone at least as far back as January.
Not really. It just shows that you have a card assigned to be used for Express Transit.

I've had my AMEX assigned as my Express Transit card since the feature debuted in iOS 12.3 and watchOS 5.2, but I've never been able to actually use it anywhere until last August when the TTC began supporting Apple Pay, as I don't typically travel outside of Toronto (presumably it would have worked fine in London or NYC if I ever visited those places back then 😏 )

Even then, it's only ever worked for me on buses and streetcars — not any of the transit stations I normally hit.

I live central to 5 subway stations all within a <5 minute walk of me in all directions so I use all of them: Osgoode, St. Andrew, Union, King, and Queen stations. I also frequent St. Patrick, Museum, St. George, Broadview and Bloor/Yonge stations. And I take the 504 and 501 streetcars regularly. I just tap my Watch to go through the turnstile or get on the streetcar without unlocking first.
Yeah, I'm not surprised that they would have rolled it out to the downtown core stations first, as that's what usually happens with most new technology on the TTC. It's been the same story with underground cellular connectivity, and also Wi-Fi when they first deployed it back in the day.

I tried it at St. Andrew a couple of times when it first became available last summer, and Express Transit definitely wasn't working back then, even though normal Apple Pay was fine. I avoided it after that, as it was typically during rush hour and the station was always too busy for me to risk holding people up behind me. Instead, I'd just make sure my Apple Pay screen was ready to go before I got to the gate, and that always worked fine.

However, Express Transit never worked for me at any of the stations between St. Clair West and Wilson, and that was still the case at Glencairn on Saturday.

Around the time of this screenshot, I tapped my Watch to go through, it worked but I noticed my Watch battery was dead. That's Express Transit. I haven't carried a Presto card in almost a year.
Yup, that's Express Transit. However, do you remember having to double-tap your side button before paying at those stations at any point after Apple Pay support first rolled out last August?

I also stopped carrying my Presto card months ago. I gave it to my daughter after she lost hers since she still needs one to get the student rate. Even without Express Transit, it's still more of a hassle to pull out a Presto card than it is to simply double-tap the side button on my watch.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Yup, that's Express Transit. However, do you remember having to double-tap your side button before paying at those stations at any point after Apple Pay support first rolled out last August?

I've never had to double click the side button. I just roll through the turnstiles while holding my arm out. Perhaps you're right that remote stations didn't have it but I've been to stations in and out of downtown, including Broadview, Woodbine and Kennedy in the east side, Landsdowne in the west and Yorkdale Mall in the north in the last year and I always just go through as described.

I just assumed Express Transit worked once Apple Pay was enabled and it has for every one of those stations. I've only ever used it once with a dead battery and that was in January.

frost_horizon

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2023
Boston MBTA is currently testing Apple Pay / Contactless Cards support. Rumors say it should be rolled out to public by the end of the year.

ivanpasic

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013

Apple Pay's Express Mode has rolled out to all TTC subway stations in Toronto, allowing riders to simply hold their iPhone or Apple Watch near the reader at the turnstile to pay for their fare. With Express Mode, payment can be completed without waking or unlocking the device, or authenticating with Face ID, Touch ID, or a passcode. Express Mode even works for up to five hours after an iPhone has run out of battery power.

Apple-Pay-Canada.jpg

As noted by Toronto resident Andrew Escobar, it is still not possible to add a PRESTO card to the Apple Wallet app, so Express Mode is limited to credit and debit cards added to the Wallet app for now. Public documents related to recent TTC meetings suggest that the PRESTO card will gain Apple Wallet support later this year.

To set up a credit or debit card for use with Apple Pay, open the Wallet app on the iPhone, tap the plus sign in the top-right corner, and follow the on-screen instructions. To set a payment card as the default option for Express Mode, open the Settings app on the iPhone, tap Wallet & Apple Pay, tap Express Transit Card, and select a card.

Some payment readers elsewhere in the TTC system already worked with Apple Pay's Express Mode. Apple periodically updates a list of locations where Apple Pay's Express Mode is available for transit on its iOS feature availability page.

Article Link: Apple Pay Express Mode Now Available at All Toronto Subway Stations
Does not work. I have been using my Apple Watch/iPhone for months to enter subway but the express mode does not work. I have it enabled on both devices but when I try to use it, the terminal responds with an error messages stating there are multiple cards on the device. While this is indeed the case, I have one of these cards designated for express pay. For me a double click is required.

fredn

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Great news. I look forward to trying it out the next time I take the subway!

ingsings

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2018
Yeah, I'm not surprised that they would have rolled it out to the downtown core stations first, as that's what usually happens with most new technology on the TTC.

It failed for me today (with "multiple cards presented") at Davisville and St. Clair stations. Another user on the original X thread said it failed for him yesterday (same error) at Main and Queen's Park.

So it's nice that this is working for some people, at some stations, but it doesn't appear to be fully baked.

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
It failed for me today (with "multiple cards presented") at Davisville and St. Clair stations. Another user on the original X thread said it failed for him yesterday (same error) at Main and Queen's Park.

So it's nice that this is working for some people, at some stations, but it doesn't appear to be fully baked.
Interesting. The "Multiple cards presented" is relatively new and suggests the terminal is correctly signaling the Apple Watch or iPhone to activate Express Transit and present the card, but it doesn't like what it's getting back.

When Express Transit wasn't working for me, the terminal failed to do anything until I double-clicked the side button on my Apple Watch or iPhone. Previously, it worked like a normal Apple Pay transaction — it would typically bring up the payment mode, but you still needed to authorize the payment just like you would at the grocery store.

This makes me wonder if this is a problem with specific types of payment cards (e.g., VISA/MC/AMEX). I know an Interac Debit card can't be used for Express Transit, but Apple Wallet settings should prevent that from being set anyway.

It might be worth trying to reset your Express Transit card to see if that fixes it — set your Express Transit Card to "None," wait a few seconds, and then set it back to your preferred payment card. There's some stuff that goes on behind the scenes on your iPhone and Apple Watch when designating a card as an Express Transit card, as it needs to be set up in the Secure Element so that it works without authorization and even without power. It's just a hunch, but maybe refreshing it will help 🤷🏻‍♂️

ingsings

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2018
It might be worth trying to reset your Express Transit card to see if that fixes it

A reasonable suggestion, except I only enabled a transit express card a couple of hours before I experienced the failures, so "staleness" is not likely the source of the error.

I agree with your analysis that the phone does seem to be triggered properly by the transit terminal, but the transit terminal doesn't like what it is getting back.

Anyhow, I'm going to set this aside and try again in a month. I'm really waiting for virtual Presto card support to be enabled for the Apple Wallet (as it already is for Google Wallet) since I use a fare reduced Presto card, so I'm really just curious (I'm a retired tech guy).

Reactions: jhollington
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.