All iPads Apple Pay for iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LucasLand, Oct 8, 2014.

1. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

will an updated iPad work with apple pay? does a device have to have an internet connection for apple pay to work?

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I would assume it needs an internet connection. Also, how many people really walk around everywhere with their iPads..

3. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65832

As Brian Tong from Cnet likes to say. An iPad with Apple Pay would be just as stupid as people taking pictures with an iPad.

4. miketheappleguy macrumors regular

So you're saying there's a chance? :D

5. ttmrn macrumors regular

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I would think it needs touch-ID at the least, maybe even the Internet or Cellular to complete Apple Pay

7. Mercifull macrumors regular

Mercifull

I believe that Apple Pay will be baked in to allow payments in-app using the TouchID sensor but it will not contain a NFC chip for use at POS terminals.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Apple Pay doesn't need the internet while making an NFC purchase. It's just emulating a card.

(Later, when it does get connected, it can send the batched up purchase locations info to Apple.)

Students. Doctors. Anyone in an office.

This is Apple. They're from California. La la land :)

They're the same company that released a smartphone in 2007 without 3G because they thought WiFi was everywhere, and with a capacitive screen because they never heard of having to wear gloves for months out of each year.

If Apple installs NFC door locks, vending machines and cafeteria checkout at One Infinite Loop, then we can be sure that the iPad will have the ability to use them!

9. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

While using an iPad to pay for things would be incredibly dumb...including Apple Pay and NFC hardware in the iPad would be a brilliant move by Apple.

Imagine if every new iPad could accept Apple Pay out of the box. Huge move by Apple, I would be surprised if they don't do it. The number of iPad's in use as square terminals is huge, and Apple can just ease its way into that market and be accepted at tons of small shops around the globe.

10. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65832

It would be nice to have, but then it's more likely that next years iPad will get NFC since iOS 8 locks NFC to strictly Apple pay.

11. urkel macrumors 68030

Does he still say that? (And does the "iPad Photographer" joke still exist?)

With Android and Apple phones reaching far beyond 5" then the definition of "tablet" is becoming more vague. I have a 6+ and it definitely feels more like a Mini iPad Mini than a big iPhone. So doesn't that mean that we're now taking pictures with a tablet?

12. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65832

It very much still exists. I can't help but smirk at how cumbersome it looks.

I haven't tried using the 6 Plus for a picture yet, but I imagine it is significantly easier than on an iPad.