Apple Pay Gains 24 More Participating Issuers in United States

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
How can we put pressure on UK banks to approve Apple Pay here?
I think banks in Europe are worried that if Apple Pay takes off, Apple will demand larger fees and that is probably the sticking point at the moment. The system in place now is years ahead of the US when it comes to security and the prevention of fraud. They may not be in a hurry to give money to Apple so some people can save a couple of seconds at each transaction by not taking out their cards. Once you have a lot more iPhones over there with Apple Pay (6s, 7), there will probably be enough pressure on them to agree to Apple's terms.

lk400

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
I read that almost all Australian payment terminals accept NFC payments. I wonder what's stopping them rolling out there.

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
Lots of issuers. Not so many acceptors.
I definitely agree there. Even those places that has the nfc logo, often apple pay just doesn't work. You'd think it would've work since the bank approved/participates on that.
On these places it's just quicker to pull my card and swipe, instead of using apple pay, found out it doesn't work, and pull my card and swipe.
Apple pay when it does work, it's fast and convenient.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
Hmm Apple Pay is gaining too much success and momentum. This is the perfect time for Greedy Lawyers and Congressmen to initiate FTC investigations and anti-trust lawsuits against Apple Pay. /sarcasm

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I read that almost all Australian payment terminals accept NFC payments. I wonder what's stopping them rolling out there.
Perhaps some sort of government/legal type of regulations or approvals that might still need to be finalized?

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Rialto, CA
This will be :apple:pays biggest obstacle. Most people really dont care about apple pay
Well, don't forget that there is only a select few of people that can use it: iPhone 6 and 6 Plus holders.

The tons of people with iPhone 5Ss, 5s, 4Ss, etc. won't care about Apple Pay either.

If you're a business investing in Apple Pay, you customer base better have a lot of iPhone 6/6 Pluses. Apple should have been silently putting in NFC chips in the 5, 5C, and 5S iPhones so when Apple Pay was released, more people could use them.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Because credit unions are cool?
I agree with you there. One thing about ETrade bank is that they refund ATM fees, plus I tell easy to move around my trading money with my bank money.

I guess that's two things...

----------

This is speculation on my part, but most credit unions are fairly small compared to commercial banks and as a result use third-party firms to handle their back-end systems.

My guess is one of these third parties completed THEIR Apple Pay integration and was able to offer the service to the Credit Unions that are their customers.
That makes sense. Plus, as quoted above, credit unions are cool. :D

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Has anyone with Simple been able to complete verification?

I added my card, Applepay said it wanted verification via telephone. I clicked the link to call, and Simple directed me to a site. I went there, it sent me back to the Simple app to fill out some verification steps, and then it sent a message to support. And I've been waiting since.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Glad it works for you... the last two places I used it they asked for ID and they wanted me to sign. I asked what the purpose of my thumb print was. Another time a person asked if that was something new. I said "kind of".

Yeah, the whole signature thing when I am using my fingerprint is a head scratcher. My phone will not allow me to perform the transaction without my fingerprint, which is uber secure. But I can sign Daffy Duck on the signature and the cashier won't even notice.

Walgreen's a launch partner for Apple Pay is particularly frustrating. I try to use Apple Pay to pay for prescriptions. First, after I tag the reader with my phone their pin pad/card reader asks me to put in my phone number for their rewards program. I bypass that, because they have never seemed to be able to correctly link my account to my phone number, 5 years later. Then it makes me put in the last four digits of my primary phone number to verify for my prescriptions. I suppose that's not entirely obnoxious, since they appear to be trying to keep someone from stealing my scripts. Then the display again asks me to put in information for the rewards program. Bypass again. Then it asks me to verify if the amount is correct (Yes, No). Sorry, folks but I verified the amount was correct before I ever put my phone up to the reader, since I like to know what a merchant is charging me before I pay for it. I'm funny that way. Then, finally the terminal wants me to sign, which is completely unnecessary.

So, what should be a quick and easy transaction turns into a drawn out, frustrating kludge. Great job, Walgreen's...

kdarling

macrumors P6
Yeah, the whole signature thing when I am using my fingerprint is a head scratcher. My phone will not allow me to perform the transaction without my fingerprint, which is uber secure.
All it means is that someone (hopefully you, but might not be) with knowledge of your device's passcode, registered their fingerprint.

So logically speaking, using a fingerprint is no different than using a passcode. Which is why you can use that instead, and why a fingerprint isn't used (or needed) at all on the Watch.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
All it means is that someone (hopefully you, but might not be) with knowledge of your device's passcode, registered their fingerprint.

So logically speaking, using a fingerprint is no different than using a passcode. Which is why you can use that instead, and why a fingerprint isn't used (or needed) at all on the Watch.

True. And someone could also put a gun to your head to get you password. No security measure is any more secure than its weakest link. In this case it's the password. Which means mine is uber secure.

BTW: You do need your fingerprint to use Apple Pay on the phone.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
This is speculation on my part, but most credit unions are fairly small compared to commercial banks and as a result use third-party firms to handle their back-end systems.

My guess is one of these third parties completed THEIR Apple Pay integration and was able to offer the service to the Credit Unions that are their customers.
aye, I would imagine this is right on

kdarling

macrumors P6
BTW: You do need your fingerprint to use Apple Pay on the phone.
Nope. For example, if TouchID is enabled but fails several times in a row, Apple Pay falls back on requesting the passcode.

The requirement to use TouchID for Apple Pay can even be turned off. Handy for people for whom TouchID doesn't work very well, or not at all.

appe_pay_touch_id_setting.png

It should then prompt you with "Pay with Passcode" when you try to make a purchase.

oneofakind

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Bay Area
Won't Verify

I added my card, Applepay said it wanted verification via telephone. I clicked the link to call, and Simple directed me to a site. I went there, it sent me back to the Simple app to fill out some verification steps, and then it sent a message to support. And I've been waiting since.

Same Here! I sent them a message hopefully they will sort it out soon, I have been waiting for this moment!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
What's the highest price you've paid this way? Signature isn't required for NFC payments below a certain amount. I forget what that limit is in Canada. $50 maybe? I'm sure someone will know.
Haha ahh. That could explain it. I've only used it for gas and restaurants so far. I'll see what happens next time I go to the grocery store.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Portland, Oregon

Same Here! I sent them a message hopefully they will sort it out soon, I have been waiting for this moment!
That's strange, my Simple card verified fine (didn't have to call a number or anything) and today I went to Staples to get something to buy and test out for the first time; the nice Senior Citizen cashier knew right away I was going to use Apple Pay when she saw me bring out my iPhone! Worked quite nicely, but the "system" did ask for my signature which is ridiculous... especially for a $7 item!