Apple Pay Holdout Walmart to Launch QR Code-Based 'Chase Pay' Next Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chase has announced its payments service Chase Pay will launch at Walmart stores in the United States in 2017. The digital wallet will be integrated into the Walmart app for in-store purchases, allowing Chase Visa credit and debit cardholders to pay at the checkout by showing a QR code to the cashier.

Chase Pay will also be added to Walmart's website next year, allowing customers to make online purchases while earning rewards and receiving offers. The service secures transactions with token technology, which utilizes one-time complex codes to process transactions and keep card information secure.

Chase Pay differs from Apple Pay, which uses contactless NFC technology and is secured with Touch ID in addition to tokenization. Walmart has so far refused to adopt Apple Pay, opting for QR code payments services like Walmart Pay and Chase Pay instead. The retailer has said it is open to supporting other digital wallets in the future.

Chase Pay was created in partnership with MCX, the consortium behind the indefinitely postponed payments service CurrentC. Walmart was a leading member of MCX between 2012 and 2015, when the consortium's three-year exclusivity window expired. In 2014, Walmart explicitly said it would not accept Apple Pay.

Walmart's app is a free download on the App Store [Direct Link] for iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Pay Holdout Walmart to Launch QR Code-Based 'Chase Pay' Next Year

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Wonder how long before this obnoxiously unsecure platform gets hacked. No thanks. I'll stick with cash, chip, or ApplePay
I agree that this unsecure. I always prefer Apple Pay as the fastest and most secure. Chip is secure, but not that fast in the US, especially when even after waiting for 30 seconds and then typing in your PIN you still have to sign the receipt. Worst of all is cash, mostly because it seems that many of the cashiers don't always know how to give the correct change.

In anycase, I don't live anywhere near a walmart (at least that I am aware of) so this, thankfully, has zero impact on me.
[doublepost=1478192537][/doublepost]
So sick of reading about WalMart and QR codes. I mean really - QR codes in 2016 when an option like Apple Pay is so readily available? The blatant disregard for consumers in this situation is disgusting.
talk to starbucks and see if they agree. I am totally into Apple pay, but yeah, QR in 2016 is still a thing. SMH.

Boatboy24

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
"After it failed miserably in consumer testing, we've decided to not move forward with our payment method that requires you to open an app, scan a QR code and show your device to the cashier. But, good news! We are adopting a payment method that requires you to open an app, scan a QR code and show your device to the cashier."

macs4nw

macrumors 601
So sick of reading about WalMart and QR codes. I mean really - QR codes in 2016 when an option like Apple Pay is so readily available? The blatant disregard for consumers in this situation is disgusting.
Now that Walmart got over being sore about CurrentC's demise, it's all about fees and control over customer data.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Worst of all is cash, mostly because it seems that many of the cashiers don't always know how to give the correct change.
If we're talking security, cash is the most secure by far. Cash has no ties to your identity.

On topic: Walmart doesn't care about Apple Pay because 1. AP doesn't cater to their core demographic. 2. There's no advantage for them accepting AP. 3. There's plenty of time to change their mind in the future if AP presents advantages.

As is, in the US Apple Pay is primarily an institutional product. By that I mean financial institutions are getting on board but retailers aren't moving at the same speed. Who really gives a crap if 238 million financial institutions support AP when you can only use it at 4 stores? <-- That. That right there. It's hyperbole. So I hope no one replies with the other 2 stores that accept Apple Pay.:D:p

jmgregory1

macrumors 68000
Walmart is only doing this, because they don't want to have to pay Apple. But the QR code payment, which I also just saw a BMO bank ad last night highlighting how NOT easy it is to use QR code based ATM's, is so behind the times, I can't believe anyone even considers it a viable thing.