Apple Pay Impressions

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by bboucher790, Oct 21, 2014.

1. bboucher790 macrumors 68000

bboucher790

Setup:
    Fairly simple. Successfully added my Capital One card manually, a painless process (if it works ;)).

Usage:
    1st Attempt: Tried it at a local Staples (says it's supported). After standing there for 10 seconds looking like an idiot, it didn't work. Pulled out my wallet and paid with my credit card.

2nd Attempt: Successfully paid at Panera Bread Company. Transaction was seamless, fast, and easy.

3rd Attempt: Unsuccessful at Target. Nothing popped up when I went to pay, so I quickly took out my credit card.

Verdict:
    Not ready for prime-time.

When the technology works, it's great. For now, it's a pain to "question" whether or not the technology will work. I'd rather save myself the hassle of taking out my phone for nothing.

As merchants get their acts together, I'm sure I will start using Apple Pay more and more. Until then, it's more trouble than its worth. I will, however, continue to test the technology for the next few weeks to see if my luck improves.

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

Neither Staples nor Target are among the stores that currently support Apple Pay.

See CNET's Here are all the places you can use Apple Pay article.

3. bboucher790, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

bboucher790 thread starter macrumors 68000

bboucher790

"Apple's app launch partners, which will begin accepting Apple Pay payments through app updates going out today, include AirBnB, Chairish, Disney Store, Fancy, Groupon, Hotel Tonight, Houzz, Instacart, Lyft, MLB.com, OpenTable, Panera Bread, Spring, Staples, Target, Tickets.com, and Uber. Apple's own Apple Store app now accepts Apple Pay payments as well." - MacRumors

I read their list incorrectly :eek:. Their Apps support Apple Pay, but not the store.

I guess this means that I like Apple Pay?

*nobody saw me here...hides*

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

1. Target doesn't support ApplePay. They are taking the currentC route for NFC payments.
    2. Staples isn't listed as a partner I don't think.

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

From CNet list -- Staples app is in use with :apple: pay but in-store of staples will be active for :apple: pay later this year..

6. Mr. PoopyPants macrumors newbie

CVS worked like a charm. Payed for prescriptions and groceries in no time flat.

7. brezz macrumors member

I have a question about Apple Pay. I have 2 different cards loaded, and they have different billing addresses. When I was setting up apple pay, it would only let me use one billing address as default. I tried to enter the 2nd billing address but it wouldn't save it. I'm afraid I can't use my 2nd card now since I can't get the billing address for it to save.

Any thoughts on this issue?

Brian

8. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I've used it twice: once at Walgreens and once at my local BP, in the convenience store (not an Apple partner for sure). Both transactions were fast and seamless.

9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

so far CVS worked the best for me too..used it several times in and out!

10. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I've tried it twice so far. Yesterday at Subway didn't work but it's partially my fault and partially the workers fault for not knowing how NFC works. Just tried it at McDonalds and it was a breeze. The cashier was even impressed. I just need to hold it closer to the terminal in the future.

11. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I tried it tonight at a gas station (Sunoco). It wasn't on the list, but I saw the contactless payment symbol so I thought I'd try. It actually worked.

12. Tzuten macrumors 6502

Yeah there are a lot of other vendors accepting this other than the listed vendors. I tried it at some Fish Taco chain around here called Rubios, worked fine.

13. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I don't know if too many people here will remember.

But, there was a time in this country when only certain ATM cards would work with certain ATM systems. It used to be pretty inconvenient to have to look for a "Star" or "Cirrus" logo just to withdraw money.

Now, virtually all ATMS work with all major card issuers here, and abroad.

So give Apple Pay some time to gain steam.

I already like it as it as NFC is used at many of he stores I frequent and Apple Pay is compatible with these NFC readers.

14. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

I think once chip and pin rolls out fully in the U.S that the general public would rather use that.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Because the public wants to continue allowing retailers to stock pile their actual account numbers in large databases to be hacked?... Sounds idiotic.

16. mantan macrumors 68000

Excellent comparison!

17. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

CVS worked so perfect and I immediately never wanted to pull my wallet out ever again! so quick and easy and worked just like advertised.

18. yanks12025 macrumors member

When using Apple pay, do you have to open the passport app. Or it just pops up when close to the scanners??

19. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

It pops up automatically when in close proximity (roughly 3~4 inches) to a NFC terminal.

20. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Nope. And you don't have to wake your phone either.

21. WaveGawd macrumors newbie

Worked perfect for me at Duane reads, Walgreens and McDonald's. It's prime time as far as I'm concerned.

Not happy about target blocking apple pay on their NFC terminanals. Boycott?

22. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Impressed at this point. Yeah, the cool factor is awesome.

Used for the first time this morning at Wegmans Grocery store. It "just worked". Cashier scanned my box of k-cups. Held phone up to scanner, image of my CC appeared as I had my thumb on the fingerprint scanner, and bam, it was done. Love it so far. :cool: