Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay support in Spain has been extended to CaixaBank and ImaginBank, according to reports out of the country this morning.

Spanish tech blog AppleSfera first reported that cards issued by the banks were working with Apple's mobile payment system as of Tuesday, and CaixaBank has now officially confirmed the support.

caixabank-apple-pay-800x485.jpg

Apple Pay integration with Caixabank had been promised "before the end of the year". Previously the biggest financial entities in Spain to support Apple Pay were American Express and Banco Santander (Mastercard cards), so the addition of CaixaBank and ImaginBank (CaixaBank's mobile arm) should see the digital payment platform get a lot more coverage in the country.

Apple Pay is expected to be introduced in the near future to several more countries including Sweden, Finland, and Denmark.

(Thanks, Eduardo!)

Article Link: Apple Pay in Spain Now Supported by CaixaBank and ImaginBank

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Great news and about time! I had considered changing banks but couldn't be bothered to do it just for Apple Pay.
I imagine some people who were going to switch will now stay just for Apple Pay.

Miguel82

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2017
It seems only to work with debit cards at present.
I just tried to add my La Caixa visa credit card and got an error

pepowsky

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2017
Mallorca, Spain.
It seems only to work with debit cards at present.
I just tried to add my La Caixa visa credit card and got an error
I tried with both a debit card and a credit card and they both worked for me. This was with the wallet app rather than the CaixaBankPay app, which froze on me.

Miguel82

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2017
I tried with both a debit card and a credit card and they both worked for me. This was with the wallet app rather than the CaixaBankPay app, which froze on me.
I also used the apple wallet, I have tried several times today, and I get an error saying "Could Not Add Card".
I will try again tomorrow, if it does not work still, I will try to contact the bank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.