Apple Pay is no panacea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smoledman, Sep 27, 2015.

1. smoledman macrumors 68000

At Trader Joes, you still have to use their terminal device for several taps before the transaction is complete. There is no functional difference between using Apple Pay and Android Pay right now. Honestly I could just swipe my credit card and complete the transaction faster.

2. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I agree with the speed aspect of your post. With the lack of knowledge several employees have working the registers, it's often times faster and easier to just hand someone/swipe your card. However, Apple Pay undoubtedly offers significantly increased security if that's important to you.

3. smoledman thread starter macrumors 68000

I understand what you mean about security, but at TJs you just swipe your credit card. I could see the application of the security aspect in other venues. I especially can see it for something like a hotel check-in.

4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

It's still more secure at a place like TJ's because of the existence of credit card skimming devices which can be installed on all kinds of credit card terminals. So it would be even more secure at a place like that because of the encryption they use.

And actually, I really doubt Apple Pay will be something most hotel chains will ever adopt in its current form. Hotels need the ability to charge your credit card at a later time in case you trash the room, raid the mini bar, etc. With Apple Pays current implementation, I'm fairly certain they wouldn't be able to add an additional charge to an Apple Pay transaction due to the handshake method currently in place.