Apple Pay issue

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by browerjs, Oct 22, 2014.

1. browerjs macrumors member

So I went to Meijer to try out apple pay, went to the self checkout line. Pressed pay with card, put my phone up to the terminal, my card came up and I put my finger on the reader. I then got a message on my phone to hold it close to the reader. I tried this several times and could never get it to work. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

2. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I did the first time and gave up and used a normal card. The other times I've been there, it read fine (both in self-checkout and at a gas pump). Maybe it's just a faulty terminal?

3. nheilweil macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

Yes, I got that "hold it closer" message as well at Whole Foods on Monday. It took a couple tries and ended up having to basically touch my phone to the reader. Think it's a reader issue. McDonald's worked flawlessly FWIW.

4. nealh macrumors 6502

As a quick FYI, I just went to CVS and it worked like a charm.
    I could not believe how easy it was and I hope that other card readers are not going to cause problems at different retailers

5. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

Yep - I had to go back to Meijer again today to get something and ended up at the same self-checkout. I got that message again, so I suspect it was a faulty reader (they've had them in place for a really long time - I'm not sure if the 2005 iteration is still what is in stores: http://www.csnews.com/tmp-financial/meijer-begins-accepting-mastercard-paypass).

Even though I like Target a little better for general merchandise, I appreciate the things Meijer has tried (contactless, lots of self-checkout - including long ones for unlimited use, phone # based e-coupon program) and their groceries. I really hope MCX dies a quick death and that forces others to innovate.

6. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I need to try it at my Meijer this weekend. I went and got gas at a Meijer gas station and used the NFC on the pump and it worked like a charm. I didn't get any sort of error message. Only thing I had to do is enter my zip code . I have to do it with swiping, so that wasn't surprising.