Apple Pay Keeps Activating at Airport Security

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dvdvd, Nov 6, 2014.

1. dvdvd macrumors member

dvdvd

Did anyone else run into the problem at the TSA security checkpoints where you pull up a plane ticket on the home screen to scan, but Apple Pay keeps activating, preventing your eTicket from being scanned? Seems like the scanner is also an NFC terminal. Was turned away to get a physical ticket and was a huge incovenience that almost made me miss my flight. There should be some way for the iPhone 6 to differentiate between a pay terminal and security terminal for NFC.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I was wondering if this would ever be an issue. NFC always on seems like not the greatest solution for a mobile device, IMO.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Awesome, that means if MCX retailers cave in and offer Apple Pay along with CurrentC, it'll also prevent CurrentC QR reader from reading the code as Apple Pay will keep popping up.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Why are you assuming that either there is no way for Apple to prevent the popup or that Apple won't make the necessary software updates if there is a way?

As this whole thing is under three weeks old, it's rather premature to announce that the sky is falling.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It was a joke aimed at CurrentC.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Oh.

I completely missed that.

Whoops. :eek:

7. Rigby macrumors 601

See this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1808847

Someone reported that it helps to pull up the boarding pass in the airline app instead of Passbook. But I agree that this is an issue that Apple should address (e.g. by having a switch to turn off NFC in the control center).

BTW, Apple Pay also pops up when I hold my phone up to the RFID scanners used by the door entry security system at my work place. :rolleyes:

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Makes sense in a way since NFC is a flavor of RFID (loosely speaking).

9. Rigby macrumors 601

I know, but it would be nice if the iPhone could detect if the NFC initiator is actually a payment terminal or something else (like a TSA RFID passport reader or a door scanner) and only pop up the Apple Pay screen when it is applicable. Not sure if that is possible with NFC in passive mode though.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd be surprised if it weren't possible. Time will tell of course. Access control isn't a big deal but situations like the TSA scanners will need to be solved.

11. Rigby macrumors 601

Another annoying situation might be if you want to use Apple Pay in a store together with a Passbook-based loyalty card. Perhaps the easiest solution would be to just disable NFC while any Passbook card other than a credit card is showing on the screen.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

I suppose any loyalty card interference would have to do with how close the NFC reader and the optical scanner were placed. NFC does need you to be pretty close.

Correction to my above post: Access card scanners would be an issue if someone kept their card in a wallet case.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yeah, I don't think that's possible with a NFC inductor coil being in the passive mode. All NFC signals look the same to it.

That's a good workaround. I recall accidentally closing the Passbook and opening a different app while it was within NFC range, so pulling up the boarding pass in the airline app will work.

14. dvdvd thread starter macrumors member

dvdvd

Thanks for the suggestion! :) I'll keep in mind to open tickets in app for the time being until this hopefully gets resolved