Apple Pay Launches for HSBC Australia and 20+ U.S. Banks

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

HSBC has launched Apple Pay support for customers in Australia for the first time, enabling any Visa and MasterCard branded credit card issued by the bank to be added to Apple's mobile wallet.

HSBC said the majority of its customers' credit card payments are already contactless and it expects Apple Pay will be quickly embraced as part of the wider shift towards tap-and-go payments.

[​IMG]

The bank has set up a new Apple Pay web page on its site to guide users through the steps needed to add a credit or debit card into the Wallet app on iPhone and iPad.

HSBC joins a growing number of banks in Australia which support Apple Pay, including American Express, ANZ and Macquarie. However, several major issuers such as Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Westpac Banking Corporation, NAB, and Bendigo and Adelaide have resisted supporting the payment system during their failed attempts to collectively negotiate with Apple over gaining access to the NFC chip in iPhones.

In addition to the HSBC Australia launch, over 20 U.S. banks also gained official Apple Pay support on Tuesday. Apple has updated its web page of participating banks, which include the following:

o 1st Constitution Bank
    o Alerus Financial N.A.
    o Bank of Cashton
    o Bank of New Mexico
    o BankStar Financial
    o Central National Bank & TrustCompany
    o Chevron Federal Credit Union
    o Citizens Community Bank
    o Connexus Credit Union
    o DATCU
    o Department of CommerceFederal Credit Union
    o First Bank Blue Earth
    o First National Bank of Pana
    o First US Community CreditUnion
    o Legacy Bank
    o Manasquan Bank
    o Market USA Federal CreditUnion
    o Midstates Bank N.A.
    o Security State Bank ofHibbing
    o Skyward Credit Union
    o The Bank of Bennington
    o Two River Community Bank

The Apple Pay service is available on iPhone 6 and later, iPhone SE, Apple Watch, the late 2016 MacBook Pro, and iPad mini 3 or later within apps and Safari. Macs introduced in 2012 and later can also be used, but checkout must be confirmed through an Apple Pay-enabled iPhone or Apple Watch.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launches for HSBC Australia and 20+ U.S. Banks

2. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

3. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

While Samsung Pay is expanding in India, hope Apple Pay doesn't keep staying behind.

4. redbeard331, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017

redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Going on 3 years since it came out and my archaic bank still does not have it, and that's after promising it would come out soon back in 2015.

5. mlody macrumors 6502a

Why wait for some bank to get their act together?? Wouldn't be simpler to switch to a more modern bank if the existing one does not fully suite your needs?

6. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Let's see how Commonwealth, NAB, and westpac respond.

7. fermat-au macrumors 6502

Of the big Australian banks, 3 out of 4 still don't surport Apple pay. The infrastructure is there almost all cards and terminals surport NFC, the issue is Apple's cut of transactions.

8. -Maxim- macrumors regular

9. KnighsTalker macrumors regular

KnighsTalker

I told my bank if they didn't choose to support and implement Apple Pay, I'd be forced to switch financial institutions. They didn't so I did. Now I use it wherever I can. I just wish Apple would entice one or two of the hold out companies such as Costco, Kroger, Safeway and/or Home Depot to support and implement Apple Pay. Apple's glacial strategy of encouraging companies to get them to gradually accept and convert to implementing Apple Pay is a bit frustrating every time I use it. I yearn for the day that I will be able to whip my phone out and pay for my purchases everywhere I go!

10. twinlight macrumors 6502a

twinlight

Another week, another 20 banks and financial institutions. Still no Apple Pay in the nordic countries...

11. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I just returned from Ireland where NFC is everywhere. I don't think Apple is the issue here. I was using my phone for paying everything. Restaurants, stores, even for bus tickets. I could be wrong, I think the retailers are the holdouts.

12. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

My suggestion to you is to change from a bank to a credit union in any case; compare the pros/cons and you may find the move is worth the effort. If you do online banking and are a bit organized the change is not that hard (I've helped half a dozen folks accomplish this so I know.)

Shop around to check rates and see what if any AP version they (have a fixed plan to) offer (dc, cc, ATM authentication). Don't get too hung up on the cc as you'll likely do better as outlined below. On the dc, this is a big deal if you use a dc instead of a cc (which you should avoid because it's a bad security practice) because using AP over a dc is even safer than using the plastic card. And looking forward using AP for ATM authentication is a great idea to keep your ATM/dc away from a hidden skimmer (afaik only Crap bank Wells Fargo and crap bank BOA are presently ramping up here, for the rest, it will come).

We had two CU's that still don't have AP although both are promising it is on way. The bigger of the two (a major univ cu) started talking about studying it in 2015, the smaller on (a midsize regional cu) said they would have in early 2016 before putting on back burner (then reversing early this year and saying it comes this year).

Neither have it yet. We dropped the larger cu, stayed with the smaller (better rates), and instead got a Costco Visa cc which has both AP and better rewards than either cu cc offered. We also have an amex card which we also use for bigger purchases for the FF miles.

13. groovyd Suspended

groovyd

It's good their 'customers told us they want Apple Pay' lol otherwise they should have probably delayed it longer ;) Asses
    --- Post Merged, May 3, 2017 ---
    Maybe their customers haven't told them they want it yet ;)
    Well go down their and tell them you want it ;)

14. kacper1703 macrumors newbie

I bet that if in Europe Apple would cooperate with only one bank per country, that would satisfy a whole lot of people.

I'd rather switch banks to be able to use AP, even pay a small monthly fee than see my life pass by as I'd wait for my current bank to support AP.

BTW I'm wondering, do banks have to contact Apple first to implement AP or is it Apple that says "hey, do you want to use this cool new technology"?

15. Paul Dawkins Suspended

Paul Dawkins

They will, they have no choice.
    Don't get your hopes high.

16. twinlight macrumors 6502a

twinlight

I'm not. It will be another ice age before it is rolled out here. We only have a few banks with 2-3 big ones. The largest hope would be a solution like the American Express issued credit card they did in some country.

17. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

I'm going to do just this myself next week.

Sick of waiting for NAB (Australia) to get it together and switching to ANZ.

Some banks don't like having to pay Apple for the use of their infrastructure. I'm voting with my wallet (literally).

18. Paul Dawkins Suspended

Paul Dawkins

I know the situation in Denmark pretty well. I have no hopes for Nordea or Dankse, maybe Santander, but it's presence is almost non existant.

19. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I think Apple Pay is the slowest rollout ever for an Apple service :(

20. tmiw macrumors 68000

Yep. I suspect there'll be a subset that never bothers, too. How big that subset ends up being, no one knows.

21. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

It's interesting because they aren't just leaving iPhone owners out.

22. Good User Name macrumors regular

My local Home Depot supports Apple Pay. I figured it's the same for everywhere else. Costco has always been weird about payments though. But it has very little to do with Apple interacting with customer facing companies and almost everything to do with those companies merely updating their POS devices. In countries where there's already infrastructure it has to do with banks allowing Apple to interact with their backend.

23. tmiw macrumors 68000

They disabled it pretty quickly after they got the chip. I don't think they've reenabled it or have any plans to unless something's changed recently.

24. bLackjackj macrumors member

Seriously, if I hear 1 more bank say we did it (2-3) years later because our customers asked for it! I can't wait till the holdout banks comment why they did it.

25. -Maxim- macrumors regular

I did sign a petition to Apple and the banks in Germany, I have bank accounts at the main banks plus N26 (fintech bank - they should have it first), and I've been nagging my banks for months. They always claim it's Apple's fault or have no information for me :/