Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just after becoming available in France, Apple Pay has also expanded to Hong Kong. Starting today, Visa, MasterCard, and American Express debit and credit cards issued by Hang Seng Bank, Bank of China (Hong Kong), DBS Bank (Hong Kong), HSBC, Standard Chartered, and directly from American Express work with Apple's payment service.

According to the Apple Pay Hong Kong website, Apple Pay support will be coming to Hong Kong's Bank of East Asia and Tap & Go in the near future.

applepayhongkong.jpg

Cards can be added to Apple Pay by tapping the "Add Credit or Debit Card" option in the Wallet app on devices running iOS 8.1 or later. Apple Pay works with the iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE, and it is available on the iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s when paired with an Apple Watch. Apple Pay in apps is also available on iPads with Touch ID, including the iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, and both iPad Pro models.

Apple Pay in Hong Kong can be used anywhere contactless payments are accepted and at a wide range of retail partners, including 7-Eleven, KFC, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Pacific Coffee, Su-Pa-De-Pa, Taste, ThreeSixty, Uny, and more.

Apple Pay is now available in the United States, the UK, China, Australia, Canada, Switzerland, Singapore, France, and Hong Kong. Later in 2016, Apple plans to expand Apple Pay to Spain through a partnership with American Express.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launches in Hong Kong with Support for MasterCard, Visa, and American Express Cards

Reactions: haruhiko

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Why Citibank is not joining? It's the only major bank absent from the list. :confused:

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi
good news.
does this mean that if you have an HSBC account in HKG you can now use your HSBC issued credit card, for example, in the USA, or any other country that apple pay is offered?
thanks.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
hi
good news.
does this mean that if you have an HSBC account in HKG you can now use your HSBC issued credit card, for example, in the USA, or any other country that apple pay is offered?
thanks.
I think so!
[doublepost=1468976254][/doublepost]I added an HSBC card to my wallet but I couldn't add it to the watch. The watch app just told me to contact the bank. Weird.

Reactions: jpn

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Finally! I have been waiting for a long time for this. Will definitely test to check it out.

oopsroger

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
Finally!This will definitely spur consumption in the short run as subscribers wanting to try it out.

ArneK

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2015
in Germany we slowly start having NFC terminals everywhere as well. Seems like someone is pushing the introduction of these devices.
Even though, most cashiers don't even know you can pay by tapping your card on the terminal. I've educated at least 10 cashiers already about their own machines :) They are always so surprised that its working after telling me I have to put it in for it to work - love the expression on their faces.

But overall, Germany is so reluctant to modern things like this - sometimes I hate my country...

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Just got an email from Barclays that android pay is live. That's a big shock from a bank that takes forever to implement. Be interesting how it compares

Reactions: patjem and zzLZHzz

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Please Apple, show the Netherlands some love! We've got plenty of NFC terminals over here that are dying to be used. :p

The U.S. is the opposite it feels, sadly. We have Apple Pay support but no NFC support!! :(

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Those are the same thing though. Unless you mean no merchant support for NFC?

Correct - I should have been more clear. In my opinion, merchant support for NFC is terrible in the U.S.

Getting better everyday but it is so spotty that I find it hard to consistently use Apple Pay (at least at most of the stores I go to). It is far from ubiquitous (like a credit card) at this point.

monkeybongo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
In Canada, a lot of retailers support the tap to pay so this works seamlessly. That being said it usually limited to $50 or $100 transactions so I wouldn't quite leave the house without my wallet.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
In Canada, a lot of retailers support the tap to pay so this works seamlessly. That being said it usually limited to $50 or $100 transactions so I wouldn't quite leave the house without my wallet.

I wonder why they impose the limit. Is there really a difference between tapping and swiping the card? One could argue that the biometric data used to authorize the tap would be more secure than a magnetic strip. Interesting...

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
...I wouldn't quite leave the house without my wallet.

Yeah, we're a long ways away from not carrying the physical card - ' real ' restaurants still only allow inserting the card and entering the PIN and going through the accepting, tipping, and totalling of your bill.

happywaiman

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
And they can finally have a high usage amount in the Great China area, given Hong Kong has adopted NFC credit card payment since 2003.
Too bad my bank (BEA) is still in the "coming soon" section, and the HKG debit card w/ 16 digit I have is from Citibank, which unlikely to get on board for awhile. (They are separate bank from the US, and they have a tiny credit card market share)
Speaking of which, anyone know if transit is coming to HK? If Apple want to win the war on adoption w/ iOS 10, they better have it ready
[doublepost=1469049927][/doublepost]
In this case, Hong Kong stores usually accept ~US$65-130 without signature, and unlimited once you sign. (They don't check, signature verification is not really a thing in Asian countries, I think)
And you can partially leave home without wallet there, as long as you keep some cash in your pocket for the bus fare (Or the Octopus card, since Hong Kong transit system doesn't accept credit card)

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
We've had contactless pay POS terminals and chip and PIN cards for so long, here in Canada, that I can't even remember the last time I signed a VISA slip.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
hi
good news.
thanks.

It should work in any country that accepts contactless, no matter if Apple Pay is accepted.

Reactions: jpn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.