Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay is launching in Morocco today, based on backend code discovered by Apple researcher Aaron613 and subsequent confirmation by one of the country's banks.

apple-pay-morocco.jpg

CIH Bank is launching ‌Apple Pay‌ in the country as of Tuesday, according to the bank's Twitter account. It's not clear if other banks in Morocco will be coming on board with support for Apple's digital payment method, but it's likely.

The support means that CIH Bank's customers will be able to add their Mastercard credit cards and bank cards to the Wallet app by tapping the plus button in the top-right corner. Apple has yet to update its regional website to officially confirm the launch.

Ever since its launch in the United States in 2014, ‌Apple Pay‌ has slowly expanded to more countries worldwide while at the same time expanding the list of financial institutions that support the feature. ‌Apple Pay‌‌ can be used anywhere contactless payments are accepted with a compatible iPhone or Apple Watch. It is also accepted by select apps and websites.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launches in Morocco

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I use Apple Pay everywhere I can. But by far the best use of it is on the web. When I order something online in a desktop browser "Pay by ApplePay" makes checkout so easy – just verify by Touch ID and you are done. No entering or auto-filling anything.

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
Looking back I didn't know how I could live without Apple Pay. Younger kids here these days don't even know what is cash anymore. They just know to use phone to pay for everything.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Was just in Puerto Rico and it is supported there quite extensively. Yes, I know Puerto Rico is not a country but a US territory.
I am pretty sure that no Puerto Rico-based banks issue cards that work with Apple Pay. Merchants accept tap to pay, and as a consequence, accept Apple Pay, but locals cannot get locally issued Apple Pay cards.

Last edited:

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
After 8 years and total ubiquity in the US, it's so crazy to me that there are still so many countries where it's still not available. Global finance is sloooooow.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
And still no Turkey. Shame on you Apple!
Apple needs banks interested in implementing it. It is a slow process and takes a lot of work by the banks. If you want Apple Pay in your country, contact your bank and have all your friends with Apple devices do the same. That is the easiest way to get it to happen.

utkans

macrumors newbie
Apple needs banks interested in implementing it. It is a slow process and takes a lot of work by the banks. If you want Apple Pay in your country, contact your bank and have all your friends with Apple devices do the same. That is the easiest way to get it to happen.
In an answer to a question by a user on App Store comments, the bank said Apple Pay is not compatible with regulations in Turkey and that they are ready to implement it any time once those incompatibilities are resolved. So I think it comes down on Apple to make the necessary applications and get required permissions to operate in the Turkish market. We might not have a perfect economy, on the contrary far from it, but a country of 80 million is worth a shot, don’t you think, Apple?

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I am pretty sure that no Puerto Rico-based banks issue cards that work with Apple Pay. Merchants accept tap to pay, and as a consequence, accept Apple Pay, but locals cannot get locally issued Apple Pay cards.
Actually they can get local Apple Pay cards. Saw a bunch of these.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
In an answer to a question by a user on App Store comments, the bank said Apple Pay is not compatible with regulations in Turkey and that they are ready to implement it any time once those incompatibilities are resolved.
Given that I have no idea what the regulations are (nor does it seem that you know either), it is hard to say it is Apple’s responsibility to change them. In general, if the banks and/or consumers want ApplePay, it would seem that it would be their job to at least be clear what regulations stand in the way.

The local incumbents are likely to have much more experience getting regulations changed than anyone outside the country.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Was just in Puerto Rico and it is supported there quite extensively. Yes, I know Puerto Rico is not a country but a US territory.

Only partially. Acceptance by merchants is there, no doubt, and many Puerto Ricans can use apple pay because as US citizens they can open accounts with banks operating in the 50 states. However, none of Puerto Rico’s local banks support Apple Pay AFAIK.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017

But they can apply for supported cards from participating issuers in the 50 states (heck they can even apply for Apple Card!), so it’s not as much of a problem for them as it is for people in unsupported countries.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
After 8 years and total ubiquity in the US, it's so crazy to me that there are still so many countries where it's still not available. Global finance is sloooooow.

It’s not totally ubiquitous in the US, there are still lots of places that don’t accept including hotels, restaurants and the well known holdouts.

Nonetheless, Morocco is the one country where it’s surprising that they thought of launching. A friend of mine went there last year and told me that it’s rare to find businesses taking credit and debit cards there. Except for a few very big chains such as Carrefour, most businesses in Morocco are cash only.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
It’s not totally ubiquitous in the US, there are still lots of places that don’t accept including hotels, restaurants and the well known holdouts.

Nonetheless, Morocco is the one country where it’s surprising that they thought of launching. A friend of mine went there last year and told me that it’s rare to find businesses taking credit and debit cards there. Except for a few very big chains such as Carrefour, most businesses in Morocco are cash only.
Sure. And it certainly depends on where you live in the US. It's pretty much everywhere in my neck of the woods. The only places that don't do it are the usual stubborn places (Walmart, Kroger until very recently), and other places that are generally do not cater to customer convenience: doctor's offices, municipal offices, basically anything that is intentionally frustrating and byzantine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.