Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
From a totally objective standpoint, is it not any more unfair for someone who, in this example, believes in gay marriage to force their views upon someone who disagrees, by way of laws?

Sadly, you are correct. This is a country where you are allowed to hold your own personal viewpoint on any matter, even gay marriage.

There will always be people who oppose gay marriage. There's no doubt in that. People who are for gay marriage draw the line at actively banning gay marriage, before it became allowed in the US, and actively passing laws that limit what publicly gay (I seriously have no idea what the proper term is) can do or in some states you can be fired for being gay. Though I imagine these are the same states who'll fire someone for being non white under a blanket offense.

I'm personally fine if you oppose gay marriage. I'd be a bit annoyed if you said you wanted to kill the gays or pass laws so they can't adopt, buy a house, be able to fire them based on their sexuality, among others things.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Ironic. Big time.

See, it hasn't been me drafting propositions, making ads talking about how bad Christian people are and how they are coming after your children, voting on the rights of Christians. Or telling them who they could marry. Or pointing a finger at them telling them that they are going to go to hell. Or flipping them off as I drive by them on a street. Or asking them if they want to marry my dog. Or cursing at them.

All things that have actually happened to me. And I have seen even worse, like cars getting windows broke and anti-gay hate language written on them. People getting things thrown at them. All sorts of things. Then there is organizations like the Chic-fil-a Win foundation which donated to organizations that not only tried to restrict my rights, but that went to anti-gay efforts in Africa where they literally wanted to pass laws to kill gay people. So yeah, when people attack me like that and the people I know, literally my whole teenage to adult life, and when the Christian right wing of this country tries to influence another country to aggressively go after gay people, you're going to hear some aggression reflected back in my post. Don't like it? I don't care. I didn't ask to be discrimated against and have people treat me badly either. I think if you had gone what gay people have had to go through, and if people had actively tried to determine who you would marry, or worry about your safety of you or your friends just because of who you loved, or the reparative therapy thrust upon kids, or the kids that have been driven to suicide or kicked out of their homes, you'd be a little aggressive about protecting yourself and your rights too.

And again, ironic. I have had right wing anti-gay views pushed down my throat my entire life by so called Christians. Even been flipped off in front of a church. So much for the sermon they just listened to. :rolleyes:
I wish that I had more time to reply that I currently do--but I wanted to say this to ya really quickly.

I want you to hear it from me, a Christian, that I am so, so sorry for any abuse (mental and physical) that you have endured for being gay. And especially I want to apologize for any folks that identify with Christianity that have treated you wrongly. Whether Christian or not, anyone that reads The Bible will see the Jesus never hated anyone. Not a soul. Jesus loved the world, and that is what Christians are called to do. And for anyone that has shown you hate--I am certain that the hate was not deserved and I want you to know that not all Christians are like the ones that have hurt you. I look at you as my equal. While my view on marriage may differ form yours, I in no way look at you any differently than I look at myself. We're both people. Anyway, I hope you have a good weekend, man. Cheers!

Reactions: 32828870

Suspended
Jun 23, 2016
New York and Berlin
I wish that I had more time to reply that I currently do--but I wanted to say this to ya really quickly.

I want you to hear it from me, a Christian, that I am so, so sorry for any abuse (mental and physical) that you have endured for being gay. And especially I want to apologize for any folks that identify with Christianity that have treated you wrongly. Whether Christian or not, anyone that reads The Bible will see the Jesus never hated anyone. Not a soul. Jesus loved the world, and that is what Christians are called to do. And for anyone that has shown you hate--I am certain that the hate was not deserved and I want you to know that not all Christians are like the ones that have hurt you. I look at you as my equal. While my view on marriage may differ form yours, I in no way look at you any differently than I look at myself. We're both people. Anyway, I hope you have a good weekend, man. Cheers!

This made me tear up, and yeah, I'm admitting it. lol

Thank you, so much, for such an impassioned and respectful and intelligent response. I wish more people such as yourself and the few others as well not only understand and appreciate what's important in life - our journey together and the experiences we share with others on this tiny, blue planet. Yes, I'm getting sappy, but hey, I am - we are - only human. We have a lot more in common than many realize and while I may not be religious I am spiritual (Japanese Buddhism), and strongly believe we are all connected. We come from the same stardust and return to the universe. Whether you believe in a collective consciousness, reincarnation, heaven and hell, or nothing at all, I believe science and spirituality are not mutually exclusive. We are the universe experiencing itself.

Whatever your beliefs, it's important to remember we're all walking on the same planet and no one like you will ever happen again.

Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: v0lume4

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Honestly, why is this newsworthy?

And when is: Chick-fil-A sucks, Chick-fil-A is great a hot political topic? Sounds like MR is merely stirring the pot.

Reactions: citizenzen

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
I've never visited a Chick-fil-A. By the name alone it sounds disgusting. It sounds like a brand of reconstituted chickenmeat blend used to sculpt nuggets and other novelty puréed-animal shapes. Chick-Fill-A, like Soylent Pink for chickens. And that logo doesn't help.
As far as fast food standards go it's about the best.
[doublepost=1471714133][/doublepost]

And when is: Chick-fil-A sucks, Chick-fil-A is great a hot political topic? Sounds like MR is merely stirring the pot.
I agree. And why is it controversial enough to be put in this forum? A retailer is using Apple Pay. BFD?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

As far as fast food standards go it's about the best.
[doublepost=1471714133][/doublepost]
I agree. And why is it controversial enough to be put in this forum? A retailer is using Apple Pay. BFD?
Quite a few posts in the thread pushed it into PRSI territory as this didn't start out there and was just a simple outside in the iOS blog section. So the posters basically placed it here.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
And again, ironic. I have had right wing anti-gay views pushed down my throat my entire life by so called Christians. Even been flipped off in front of a church. So much for the sermon they just listened to. :rolleyes:

From the psychological point of view, Right-Wing Authoritarian fundamentalists of all religions, from Christianity to Communism, have much more in common with each other than they do with their more freedom-minded brethren. It is a pet-peeve of mine that RWA fundamentalist Christians have somewhat captured the word Christian, and, RWA fundamentalist Muslims have also somewhat captured the words Muslim and Islam. Fundamentalists of all stripes are trying to drag the world back into the middle ages and its religious wars. Maybe they could all gather somewhere in the Middle East --- Tel Megiddo, Israel, say -- and fight it out with each other with swords and spears. Please, just leave the rest of us out of it.

That said, I don't know too much about how RWA Chick-fil-A ownership is or is not. I stay away from fast food for health reasons, so, that doesn't give me much opportunity to boycott this or that fast food chain for any reason.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
On a non-religious/political note, has anyone tried Apple Pay in the drive through yet? Do they do what McDonald's does or do they give you something way less awkward to hold?

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
This made me tear up, and yeah, I'm admitting it. lol

Thank you, so much, for such an impassioned and respectful and intelligent response. I wish more people such as yourself and the few others as well not only understand and appreciate what's important in life - our journey together and the experiences we share with others on this tiny, blue planet. Yes, I'm getting sappy, but hey, I am - we are - only human. We have a lot more in common than many realize and while I may not be religious I am spiritual (Japanese Buddhism), and strongly believe we are all connected. We come from the same stardust and return to the universe. Whether you believe in a collective consciousness, reincarnation, heaven and hell, or nothing at all, I believe science and spirituality are not mutually exclusive. We are the universe experiencing itself.

Whatever your beliefs, it's important to remember we're all walking on the same planet and no one like you will ever happen again.

Thank you for sharing.
Great to hear from you brother. I'm thankful that we can stand together in love, across varying backgrounds and religions. Cheers.

Reactions: 32828870

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
I use their app, order before I get to the store, then just walk in and pick it up. Apple Pay can be used in the app, but only to "refill" the actual app, not as an actual payment method. It's a little clunky but they say they are going to fix it.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
This should push their sales even higher at this family friendly restaurant.

https://skeptoid.com/blog/2013/04/01/same-sex-marriage-and-logical-fallacies/

“We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit.” – Dan Cathy, CEO, Chik-Fil-A

Article has more... the main issue is quoting the chicken people and the fascinating incongruity with the folk running Apple. Proof Apple takes the higher ground and won't discriminate. Maybe the chicken people will notice next time, instead of playing on discrimination to drum up some more nuggets of sales. Businesses should still rise above individual beliefs, but still not discriminate against their fellow countrymen (especially with all the corporate welfare, tax breaks, and other entitlement said businesses get).

Interesting side note:

However, there is no reason to think any of this will actually happen, for numerous reasons, some legal and some personal. For one thing, close to a dozen countries already permit same-sex marriage, and none have seen spikes in any of these behaviors. They are cultural taboos, and will remain so, no matter what.

Would love to see actual statistics he claims to have seen to make his inference from, since the only ones I'd seen were for just after certain states passed the law where x number of people (amounting to 5% of the state's GLBT population, which is small compared to the general population to begin with). There was an initial spike but not much since, apart from the usual gab on how "marriage is outdated", "we only want the law so we will be seen as first class citizens" (and thus wasting a lot of time and taxpayers' money), and other malarkey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.