MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's media event that saw the debut of new iPads and a new Retina iMac, Apple announced that its Apple Pay mobile payments solution will launch on Monday, October 20 alongside iOS 8.1, which will enable the service. According to Apple, more than 500 additional banks have signed on to support Apple Pay, as have dozens of additional retailers.

applepay2.jpg
In store payments with Apple Pay will require the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, as they both include NFC chips, and the Apple Watch will also be able to be used to make in-store payments when it launches.

The iPhone 6, the iPhone 6 Plus, the iPhone 5s, and the newly released iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 can make online purchases with Apple Pay in apps that support it.
"Our team has worked incredibly hard to make Apple Pay private and secure, with the simplicity of a single touch of your finger," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "The reaction to Apple Pay has been amazing. We continue to add more Apple Pay ready banks, credit card companies and merchants, and think our users will love paying with Apple Pay."
Apple places a heavy emphasis on security with Apple Pay, and the company's Apple Pay press release once again points out that Apple Pay does not store actual card numbers, replacing them instead with a Device Account Number in the Secure Element, pairing them with a one-time use code that verifies each payment along with Touch ID.

Apple Pay protects personal information by preventing stores from seeing a user's credit card number, name, and more. It also does not collect transaction information, keeping transactions between the user, the merchant, and the user's bank.

Credit cards and debit cards from the three major payment networks, American Express, MasterCard, and Visa, are supported by Apple Pay, and several banks, including Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Capital One, and more have signed up to partner with Apple on the payments initiative.

Apple Pay will be accepted at any retail location that can take contactless payments, and in addition, Apple has signed up with specific retailers like Whole Foods, Macy's, Sephora, Staples, and more, to ensure Apple Pay will be accepted in those stores. A number of retailers have also signed up to accept Apple Pay payments within their apps, including Target, Uber, Panera Bread, Lyft, and more.

Apple Pay will be available in the United States beginning on Monday, October 20, following the release of iOS 8.1. Apple suggests that prospective Apple Pay users contact their banks to determine their card's Apple Pay eligibility, as some banks may not support all card types.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launching This Monday, October 20 with iOS 8.1

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
But some members don't trust Apple Pay yet.

It's beyond secure and more secure then Google Wallet, much more secure then Google Wallet, Apple Pay is so secure that banks are actually willing to accept any liability charges from Apple Pay, if anything ever happened, thats how much trust all these banks and retailers have in the system, it's a very well secured system that is essentially unhackable with its local-based tokenization as opposed to cloud-based tokenization on Google Wallet

Comment

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
It's beyond secure and more secure then Google Wallet, much more secure then Google Wallet, Apple Pay is so secure that banks are actually willing to accept any liability charges from Apple Pay, if anything ever happened, thats how much trust all these banks and retailers have in the system, it's a very well secured system that is essentially unhackable with its local-based tokenization as opposed to cloud-based tokenization on Google Wallet

Apple was smart and went with the evolution of an evolving and decided industry initiative (one use codes per transaction) that VISA and AMEX (IIRC) both agreed on last year.

Google tried to make credit cards as they knew them 'cool' and 'high tech' rather than tackling the existing problematic dynamic WITH the credit card companies.

I can't wait to pay for a gatorade at the gas station mid-way through my run with just my phone.

Comment

chirop

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2013
Instead of being honest Apple decides to bring 8.1 as the next big thing yet the adoption rate is lower then that of ios 7 and there are tons of people pissend off how buggy it is.

Comment

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Will definitely wait to see how 8.1 is, and :apple:Pay in particular from the 1st day down-loaders...

Comment

diamond.g

macrumors 604
Mar 20, 2007
Virginia
Apple was smart and went with the evolution of an evolving and decided industry initiative (one use codes per transaction) that VISA and AMEX (IIRC) both agreed on last year.

Google tried to make credit cards as they knew them 'cool' and 'high tech' rather than tackling the existing problematic dynamic WITH the credit card companies.

I can't wait to pay for a gatorade at the gas station mid-way through my run with just my phone.

Google Wallet got screwed because a lot of android phones (read almost all) required the secure element to get payments working (until 4.4). And the carriers stuck their hands in it (ISIS/Softcard). Now with 4.4 it isn't needed (HCE) but very few of the manufacturers are upgrading to 4.4.

I am excited about Apple Pay though. I can get my wife a 6 and she can pay for stuff using tap to pay.

Comment

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013

Nothing is unhackable. Don't be fooled.

Comment

sbailey4

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2011
USA
DANG, Guess I have to use cash at Walgreens Saturday. Even-though they will be setup to accept :apple:PAY :D

----------

I am excited about Apple Pay though. I can get my wife a 6 and she can pay for stuff using tap to pay.

Yeah she will think all shopping in included with unlimited minutes on your cellular plan! Sweet!

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Hurry up, Discover!

So do you think we should go back to the less-secure ways, just in case someone finds a way to make one-time-use code usable a second time, which would be the bank's responsibility and not yours anyway? :p

Comment

caesarp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012

That's not the issue. Even IF it is hacked, there is nothing valuable to get. The token itself has no intrinsic value and cannot be used by hackers to purchase anything. And all a hacker could get from the merchant or man in the middle attack would be the useless (to them) token.

Comment

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Oooh! A keynote thread with hardly any posts! All the others have 200 posts already.

What to add.. what to add.... Did you hear about Ohio closing schools because Frontier Airlines landed in Dallas?

Comment

rjtyork

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
So... My Walmart accepts NFC payments, but not apple pay. I would like to know if I might still be able to use Apple pay just to piss Walmart off? Or are they going to refuse payment because I don't want them tracking my purchasing history anymore?

Comment

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
So do you think we should go back to the less-secure ways, just in case someone finds a way to make one-time-use code usable a second time, which would be the bank's responsibility and not yours anyway? :p

That's not the issue. Even IF it is hacked, there is nothing valuable to get. The token itself has no intrinsic value and cannot be used by hackers to purchase anything. And all a hacker could get from the merchant or man in the middle attack would be the useless (to them) token.

And if hackers find a way to emulate Apple's token generator?

There is ALWAYS a weak point in any security system. Always. It's one of the first things the teach you in Network and Enterprise security classes.

And just because you as a customer are protected by the bank in case of a problem like this, the banks will still end up taking the hit. And that has potential to threaten their relationship with Apple.

Comment

aaronz82

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
anyone know if you'll be able to send money from one person to another using Apple Pay? Didn't see anything in the presentation or any rumors on this website so I assume for now it's a 'no'. Hopefully the infrastructure will be in place so that a future update could provide for this feature.

Comment

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Hurry up, Discover!

I don't think that's really the point. It's a good update, but suggesting that something is unhackable is pretty laughable.

Comment

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
anyone know if you'll be able to send money from one person to another using Apple Pay? Didn't see anything in the presentation or any rumors on this website so I assume for now it's a 'no'. Hopefully the infrastructure will be in place so that a future update could provide for this feature.

You get the other person to put their thumb on your touchID!

Comment

aaronz82

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
You get the other person to put their thumb on your touchID!

No I mean using NFC technology on both phones. I hypothetically owe my friend $20 for dinner - open up passbook in both of our iPhone 6s which is (in the future) linked to our checking accounts along with our credit cards. I click 'send', he clicks 'accept' or maybe not even that complicated.

Comment

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Oooh! A keynote thread with hardly any posts! All the others have 200 posts already.

What to add.. what to add.... Did you hear about Ohio closing schools because Frontier Airlines landed in Dallas?

Yes. It's ebola related not strictly because a plane landed in Dallas.

Comment

caesarp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
And if hackers find a way to emulate Apple's token generator.

First I think the token is generated by the bank. 2d it still doesn't matter, because without the dynamically created one time use cryptogram (which is tied to your device) the token is useless even for one purchase. And a token by itself does nothing. So emulating the token won't matter. It's as bullet proof as it gets.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.