Apple Pay Likely to Launch in Belgium in May

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just one day after Apple Pay launched in Ireland, there is now evidence to suggest the service could launch in Belgium soon too.

Belgian bank CBC Banque & Assurance on Tuesday tweeted that Apple Pay will be available in May, as spotted by French blog iGeneration. Meanwhile, another Belgian bank Belfius Bank said it will begin accepting contactless payments on May 2, although it did not mention Apple Pay specifically.

@jeromevde @fouranto L'apple Pay sera disponible chez CBC pour mai 2017 également ! ^Anaïs - CBC Banque&Assurance (@CBC_BE) March 8, 2017

Apple Pay is currently available in the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Taiwan and likely Italy will follow.

Apple Pay vice president Jennifer Bailey has said Apple is "working rapidly" to expand the service to additional countries in Asia and Europe.

Article Link: Apple Pay Likely to Launch in Belgium in May

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Seems like they actually are rolling out faster. Hope they introduce it in norway and sweden this year!

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
THIS IS AWESOME. Really I've been looking forward to this since launch day. Now let's hope Hello Bank (BNP Paribas) will support it.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I've waited since Day 1 for ApplePay to arrive in Germany and it is seriously depressing to see every other European country getting it...
Erm, NO
Only 6 European countries have it, and two more to come, your Europe seems to be rather small.:rolleyes:

Apple Pay is currently available in the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Taiwan and likely Italy will follow.
Some European countries which are still waiting too:

The Netherlands
Germany (As you say)
Portugal
Greece
Austria
Portugal
Poland
Norway
Finland
Sweden
Hungary
Denmark
Romania
Czech Republic
Bulgaria
Serbia
Croatia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Etc.(There are quite a few more.)
[doublepost=1488995495][/doublepost]
We Dutchies have been waiting since forever now :(
Why do you want it, we already have good systems, I never carry cash anymore, always pay contactless or just Chip & Pin.

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I've waited since Day 1 for ApplePay to arrive in Germany and it is seriously depressing to see every other European country getting it...
I hope German banks get onboard with Apple Pay soon and Germany doesn't become the last European country to get it. I know cash is still king in Germany based on my interactions with my own relatives over there, but the convenience of Apple Pay may be good enough to overcome that with the younger generations. On top of that is the safety factor of not carrying too much cash with you when you walk the streets at night, walk through a Bahnhof, go to a concert or take the U-Bahn.

Kvothet

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
Erm, NO
Only 6 European countries have it, and two more to come, your Europe seems to be rather small.:rolleyes:

The Netherlands
Germany (As you say)
Portugal
Greece
Austria
Portugal
Poland
Norway
Finland
Sweden
Hungary
Denmark
Romania
Czech Republic
Bulgaria
Serbia
Croatia
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Why do you want it, we already have good systems, I never carry cash anymore, always pay contactless or just Chip & Pin.
I would prefer to see a Apple Store in Portugal than Apple Pay...

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I hope Apples slow roll out is due to the European Unions new directives for banking and payment services. I hope WWDC has good news for Apple Pay. Maybe they will use the new PSD2 and GDPR directives and enter the banking and payment area for real with p2p transfers and online payments of your bills.

They could be first to the whole European market with this baked in to all their devices and services. Splitting a bill between friends through iMessage or paying your utility bill with a iMessage to your utility company service text bot on iMessage..

tmiw

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I hope Apples slow roll out is due to the European Unions new directives for banking and payment services. I hope WWDC has good news for Apple Pay. Maybe they will use the new PSD2 and GDPR directives and enter the banking and payment area for real with p2p transfers and online payments of your bills.

They could be first to the whole European market with this baked in to all their devices and services. Splitting a bill between friends through iMessage or paying your utility bill with a iMessage to your utility company service text bot on iMessage..
It's more likely disagreements over how much Apple should get, but maybe that's not as big of an issue as I'm thinking.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Erm, NO

The Netherlands
Germany (As you say)
Portugal
Greece
Austria
Portugal
Poland
Norway
Finland
Sweden
Hungary
Denmark
Romania
Czech Republic
Bulgaria
Serbia
Croatia
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Maybe shouldn't have taken that literal there methinks.

Either way, can't speak for others, but I myself would like to use Apple Pay for a trip I have coming up.

I'd love to use amore secure form of payment whilst abroad.

I'm certainly not going to carry hundreds of dollars in cash and don't fancy currency exchange fees beyond what my cc would charge me, so I'll be using a card but without the nice touch of tokenization.

Glassed Silver:ios

Neg4433

macrumors regular
May 18, 2015
Nürnberg, Germany
For the Germans in here, i will share my experience with Apple Pay (French Boon) in Germany compared to other countries and it explains why it will take longer for Germany to get Apple Pay.

I registered for the French Boon, added the Card to Wallet, transferred money and though ready to test it! Shops which accepted NFC Payments:

Rewe, Aldi, Kaufland, Lidl, Burgerista, McDonalds, Starbucks, Woolworth, Edeka, Tako, Zara, Subway and other big commercial names.

Then i tried local stores, a disaster! Bakery stores, Butchers, Food locals, Restaurants, Drug Stores none of them accepted not only NFC but not even a standard card payment! They all required cash. Then i wanted to buy some flowers, i go the store and wanted to pay, they said we accept credit cards (i thought wonderful, i check their terminal it had the NFC logo on the screen)

then she says: "Please give me the card",
i say: "ehm.. i want to pay using NFC",
She: "NFC? What is this?",
i say: "Just hand me the terminal, it's a no-contact payment most credit cards use"
Then comes the owner of the store: "We don't support such payments"
I said: "On your terminal i can clearly see the NFC-Signal-thing logo big in the middle of the screen.."
He says: "No it is the WiFi for the device!" (on the top of the device a clear [LAN] icon) i couldn't discuss anymore so i had to pull out my other card, hand it to them, stick it in, type the PIN-Code and leave..

The difference with Hungary, Budapest. I spent about a week there, it was a dream! I could pay almost everywhere using Apple-Pay, even the smallest Döner, Pizza, Food shop even restaurants and bakery shops accepted NFC payments, from Ticket machines to Coke and snack machines, like USA does.

So no wonder why other countries get Apple-Pay before Germany. Some things will never change in this land.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
For the Germans in here, i will share my experience with Apple Pay (French Boon) in Germany compared to other countries and it explains why it will take longer for Germany to get Apple Pay.

I registered for the French Boon, added the Card to Wallet, transferred money and though ready to test it! Shops which accepted NFC Payments:

Rewe, Aldi, Kaufland, Lidl, Burgerista, McDonalds, Starbucks, Woolworth, Edeka, Tako, Zara, Subway and other big commercial names.

Then i tried local stores, a disaster! Bakery stores, Butchers, Food locals, Restaurants, Drug Stores none of them accepted not only NFC but not even a standard card payment! They all required cash. Then i wanted to buy some flowers, i go the store and wanted to pay, they said we accept credit cards (i thought wonderful, i check their terminal it had the NFC logo on the screen)

then she says: "Please give me the card",
i say: "ehm.. i want to pay using NFC",
She: "NFC? What is this?",
i say: "Just hand me the terminal, it's a no-contact payment most credit cards use"
Then comes the owner of the store: "We don't support such payments"
I said: "On your terminal i can clearly see the NFC-Signal-thing logo big in the middle of the screen.."
He says: "No it is the WiFi for the device!" (on the top of the device a clear [LAN] icon) i couldn't discuss anymore so i had to pull out my other card, hand it to them, stick it in, type the PIN-Code and leave..

The difference with Hungary, Budapest. I spent about a week there, it was a dream! I could pay almost everywhere using Apple-Pay, even the smallest Döner, Pizza, Food shop even restaurants and bakery shops accepted NFC payments, from Ticket machines to Coke and snack machines, like USA does.

So no wonder why other countries get Apple-Pay before Germany. Some things will never change in this land.
Still, it's gonna be a fast rollout for NFC terminals and it's enough for the beginning when only big commercial stores accept them.

CatalinApple

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2016
It's more likely disagreements over how much Apple should get, but maybe that's not as big of an issue as I'm thinking.
 has always been greedy...hungry for more money. I hope they will realize money aren't everything in life. They make a lot of profit without this fee from the transactions using  Pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.