Apple Pay Likely to Launch in Belgium in May

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 8, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Just one day after Apple Pay launched in Ireland, there is now evidence to suggest the service could launch in Belgium soon too.

[​IMG]

Belgian bank CBC Banque & Assurance on Tuesday tweeted that Apple Pay will be available in May, as spotted by French blog iGeneration. Meanwhile, another Belgian bank Belfius Bank said it will begin accepting contactless payments on May 2, although it did not mention Apple Pay specifically.

Apple Pay is currently available in the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Taiwan and likely Italy will follow.

Apple Pay vice president Jennifer Bailey has said Apple is "working rapidly" to expand the service to additional countries in Asia and Europe.

Article Link: Apple Pay Likely to Launch in Belgium in May

2. Bladery macrumors 6502

Please germany! Hurrry up!
    I can't understand why it takes so long. Pages are translated, everyone wants it and is ready!

3. jetho macrumors member

jetho

I've waited since Day 1 for ApplePay to arrive in Germany and it is seriously depressing to see every other European country getting it...

4. twinlight macrumors 6502a

twinlight

Seems like they actually are rolling out faster. Hope they introduce it in norway and sweden this year!

5. Asmoday macrumors member

We Dutchies have been waiting since forever now :(

6. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a

Mac-lover3

THIS IS AWESOME. Really I've been looking forward to this since launch day. Now let's hope Hello Bank (BNP Paribas) will support it.

7. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

guess I need to change banks... au revoir ING :D

8. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Erm, NO
    Only 6 European countries have it, and two more to come, your Europe seems to be rather small.:rolleyes:

Some European countries which are still waiting too:

The Netherlands
    Germany (As you say)
    Portugal
    Greece
    Austria
    Portugal
    Poland
    Norway
    Finland
    Sweden
    Hungary
    Denmark
    Romania
    Czech Republic
    Bulgaria
    Serbia
    Croatia
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Etc.(There are quite a few more.)
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    Why do you want it, we already have good systems, I never carry cash anymore, always pay contactless or just Chip & Pin.

9. dampfnudel macrumors 68040

I hope German banks get onboard with Apple Pay soon and Germany doesn't become the last European country to get it. I know cash is still king in Germany based on my interactions with my own relatives over there, but the convenience of Apple Pay may be good enough to overcome that with the younger generations. On top of that is the safety factor of not carrying too much cash with you when you walk the streets at night, walk through a Bahnhof, go to a concert or take the U-Bahn.

10. Kvothet macrumors newbie

Kvothet

I would prefer to see a Apple Store in Portugal than Apple Pay...

11. twinlight macrumors 6502a

twinlight

I hope Apples slow roll out is due to the European Unions new directives for banking and payment services. I hope WWDC has good news for Apple Pay. Maybe they will use the new PSD2 and GDPR directives and enter the banking and payment area for real with p2p transfers and online payments of your bills.

They could be first to the whole European market with this baked in to all their devices and services. Splitting a bill between friends through iMessage or paying your utility bill with a iMessage to your utility company service text bot on iMessage..

12. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

13. Creepitor, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019 at 3:31 AM
  14. CatalinApple macrumors regular

CatalinApple

I have a feeling that wasn't a mistake at all. I hope  Pay will expand across Europe.

15. tmiw macrumors 68020

It's more likely disagreements over how much Apple should get, but maybe that's not as big of an issue as I'm thinking.

16. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Maybe shouldn't have taken that literal there methinks.

Either way, can't speak for others, but I myself would like to use Apple Pay for a trip I have coming up.

I'd love to use amore secure form of payment whilst abroad.

I'm certainly not going to carry hundreds of dollars in cash and don't fancy currency exchange fees beyond what my cc would charge me, so I'll be using a card but without the nice touch of tokenization.

Glassed Silver:ios

17. Neg4433 macrumors regular

Neg4433

For the Germans in here, i will share my experience with Apple Pay (French Boon) in Germany compared to other countries and it explains why it will take longer for Germany to get Apple Pay.

I registered for the French Boon, added the Card to Wallet, transferred money and though ready to test it! Shops which accepted NFC Payments:

Rewe, Aldi, Kaufland, Lidl, Burgerista, McDonalds, Starbucks, Woolworth, Edeka, Tako, Zara, Subway and other big commercial names.

Then i tried local stores, a disaster! Bakery stores, Butchers, Food locals, Restaurants, Drug Stores none of them accepted not only NFC but not even a standard card payment! They all required cash. Then i wanted to buy some flowers, i go the store and wanted to pay, they said we accept credit cards (i thought wonderful, i check their terminal it had the NFC logo on the screen)

then she says: "Please give me the card",
    i say: "ehm.. i want to pay using NFC",
    She: "NFC? What is this?",
    i say: "Just hand me the terminal, it's a no-contact payment most credit cards use"
    Then comes the owner of the store: "We don't support such payments"
    I said: "On your terminal i can clearly see the NFC-Signal-thing logo big in the middle of the screen.."
    He says: "No it is the WiFi for the device!" (on the top of the device a clear [LAN] icon) i couldn't discuss anymore so i had to pull out my other card, hand it to them, stick it in, type the PIN-Code and leave..

The difference with Hungary, Budapest. I spent about a week there, it was a dream! I could pay almost everywhere using Apple-Pay, even the smallest Döner, Pizza, Food shop even restaurants and bakery shops accepted NFC payments, from Ticket machines to Coke and snack machines, like USA does.

So no wonder why other countries get Apple-Pay before Germany. Some things will never change in this land.

18. Bladery macrumors 6502

Still, it's gonna be a fast rollout for NFC terminals and it's enough for the beginning when only big commercial stores accept them.

19. CatalinApple macrumors regular

CatalinApple

 has always been greedy...hungry for more money. I hope they will realize money aren't everything in life. They make a lot of profit without this fee from the transactions using  Pay.