Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay could arrive in Italy as soon as tomorrow, according to Italian tech blog MacPost.it. The imminent launch of Apple's mobile payment system in Italy has been rumored for several weeks now, but the website claims to have spoken to three different sources from the retail and banking sector who independently confirmed that Apple Pay is set to go live on Wednesday throughout the country.

Screen-Shot-2-1-800x644.jpg

The exact time of the launch remains unknown, according to the sources, but the general expectation is that Apple Pay will be announced in the morning. Meanwhile, in another indication of the impending launch, the Apple Maps app has started listing Apple Pay as "accepted" at certain retail outlets in Italy, as the following image provided by MacPost.it shows.

apple-pay-Italy-maps-app-800x1422.jpg

Last week, MacRumors noted that an Apple support document shows Italy highlighted on a map which is supposed to indicate Apple Pay participating banks and card issuers. Apple's regional Italian website has listed Apple Pay as "coming soon" since March. Now it looks like it may be only hours away. The contactless payment service is expected to be available in the country through UniCredit, Carrefour Bank, and Boon.

Article Link: Apple Pay May Launch in Italy as Soon as Tomorrow

Last edited:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Well I'm in the US and my bank has just started to roll it out this month. That's like three years later. And my other cards still don't support it. I've used it a total of once however. So yeah. Not many places take it that I've seen. More now with companies replacing their old CC terminals with newer ones that have NFC but mostly only the large chains.

Return Zero

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Woot!! I am loving these Italy rumors since I'll be there in June :D I just wish that Milan store was going to be finished sooner.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Yeah, if the Mexican banks could not take forever to let this happen, this would be great...

Jarman74

Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
Woot!! I am loving these Italy rumors since I'll be there in June :D I just wish that Milan store was going to be finished sooner.
I've read that Apple is aiming to open the store before Christmas, but there's still no firm date unfortunately. Anyway I wish you a nice stay here in Milan even without it, buddy ;)

Reactions: Return Zero

sunny2k1

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yeah, if the German banks could not take forever to let this happen, this would be great....

Two issues I see here:

1.) the share of the transaction fees (capped to .30% by the EU) More here: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16-2162_en.htm)

2.) Germany is basically a cash country/debit card (e.g. giro card system). Credit cards have only round about 6% share on daily transactions (Retail/Online shopping). I could see that they wait until the banks handed out more contactless Giro card (numbers to the years end shall be around 50 Millionen Cards).

Apple Pay shall reach Germany until later this year (could be announced as a bullet point in one of the keynotes (WWDC, iPhone releases). They probably want to integrate the german debit card system (giro card).

Actually Apple Pay can be used at any NFC-compatible reader. I know that German retail stores (like REWE) already supports NFC-payments. Apple Pay is just an option to use NFC-compatible reader.

OneZweiThree

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Bavaria
Two issues I see here:

2.) Germany is basically a cash country/debit card (e.g. giro card system). Credit cards have only round about 6% share on daily transactions (Retail/Online shopping). I could see that they wait until the banks handed out more contactless Giro card (numbers to the years end shall be around 50 Millionen Cards).

You are absolutely right. But does it really matter to the consumer, which card he is using? I would go as far and say, that a large portion of people here don't even know the difference between a credit and a debit card.

Last edited:

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008

You can use Apple Pay worldwide already. Any NFC terminal or vending machine will accept Apple Pay. Its just that Italian banks will start issuing Apple Pay Credit Cards.

Reactions: Return Zero
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.