Apple Pay May Launch in Italy as Soon as Tomorrow

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Pay could arrive in Italy as soon as tomorrow, according to Italian tech blog MacPost.it. The imminent launch of Apple's mobile payment system in Italy has been rumored for several weeks now, but the website claims to have spoken to three different sources from the retail and banking sector who independently confirmed that Apple Pay is set to go live on Wednesday throughout the country.

[​IMG]

The exact time of the launch remains unknown, according to the sources, but the general expectation is that Apple Pay will be announced in the morning. Meanwhile, in another indication of the impending launch, the Apple Maps app has started listing Apple Pay as "accepted" at certain retail outlets in Italy, as the following image provided by MacPost.it shows.

[​IMG]

Last week, MacRumors noted that an Apple support document shows Italy highlighted on a map which is supposed to indicate Apple Pay participating banks and card issuers. Apple's regional Italian website has listed Apple Pay as "coming soon" since March. Now it looks like it may be only hours away. The contactless payment service is expected to be available in the country through UniCredit, Carrefour Bank, and Boon.

Article Link: Apple Pay May Launch in Italy as Soon as Tomorrow

2. Nozuka macrumors 68020

Crazy how long it takes to get this out everywhere...

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Well I'm in the US and my bank has just started to roll it out this month. That's like three years later. And my other cards still don't support it. I've used it a total of once however. So yeah. Not many places take it that I've seen. More now with companies replacing their old CC terminals with newer ones that have NFC but mostly only the large chains.

4. OneZweiThree macrumors regular

Yeah, if the German banks could not take forever to let this happen, this would be great....

5. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

Woot!! I am loving these Italy rumors since I'll be there in June :D I just wish that Milan store was going to be finished sooner.

6. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Yeah, if the Mexican banks could not take forever to let this happen, this would be great...

7. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Jarman74

I've read that Apple is aiming to open the store before Christmas, but there's still no firm date unfortunately. Anyway I wish you a nice stay here in Milan even without it, buddy ;)

8. sunny2k1 macrumors 6502

Two issues I see here:

1.) the share of the transaction fees (capped to .30% by the EU) More here: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16-2162_en.htm)

2.) Germany is basically a cash country/debit card (e.g. giro card system). Credit cards have only round about 6% share on daily transactions (Retail/Online shopping). I could see that they wait until the banks handed out more contactless Giro card (numbers to the years end shall be around 50 Millionen Cards).

Apple Pay shall reach Germany until later this year (could be announced as a bullet point in one of the keynotes (WWDC, iPhone releases). They probably want to integrate the german debit card system (giro card).

Actually Apple Pay can be used at any NFC-compatible reader. I know that German retail stores (like REWE) already supports NFC-payments. Apple Pay is just an option to use NFC-compatible reader.

9. OneZweiThree, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017

OneZweiThree macrumors regular

You are absolutely right. But does it really matter to the consumer, which card he is using? I would go as far and say, that a large portion of people here don't even know the difference between a credit and a debit card.

10. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

You can use Apple Pay worldwide already. Any NFC terminal or vending machine will accept Apple Pay. Its just that Italian banks will start issuing Apple Pay Credit Cards.

11. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

Banks either embrace or block.