iPhone Apple Pay - maybe not so good

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rumplestiltskin, Jan 27, 2015.

1. rumplestiltskin macrumors regular

I was looking over my American Express benefits and found this at the bottom of the webpage:

"A purchase may not earn additional points if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet."

So if someone uses a Square reader and connects via cellular, you may not get your bonus points. Maybe you don't even get bonus points if the device to which the reader is connected is on Wifi. Apparently, if you use Apple Pay (regardless of the method of reader connection), you may not get your bonus points either.

Might be worthwhile to review your card benefits with whatever other cards you've dumped into your eWallet on your iPhone6. Someone has to pay for this feature and it looks like it's going to be you.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

A perk versus security... sounds more like an issue with the card issuer than Apple Pay.

BL.

3. Armen, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Benefits section of my Amex Blue Everyday Cash card

"Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not earn a higher percentage reward if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not earn a higher percentage reward. A purchase may not earn a higher percentage reward if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet."

- Some merchants don't qualify
    - Online payments don't qualify

So even without Apple Pay in the picture you're not earning maximum points anyhow. However, with Apple pay you are increasing security and convenience.

4. rumplestiltskin thread starter macrumors regular

"Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not earn a higher percentage reward if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not earn a higher percentage reward."

That statement, while true, has nothing to do with the point. It's meaningless in the context of this discussion. It has nothing to do with whether or not one uses a digital wallet (Apple Pay or whatever Android uses).

So if your comment is simply you don't mind giving up the bonus points for what you perceive as enhanced security and (presumably) privacy, so be it.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

or perhaps it is simply preferring the security of your transaction, versus naivety of the terms/conditions handed to you by your card issuer. Just because those conditions were not read/acknowledged does not mean that the method the transaction occurred on is faulty, or in your words, "not so good."

BL.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

There is no perceived enhanced security. It is enhanced security. It may not be a focal point of concern for you and bonus points. For a lot of us, security is tantamount to possibly not getting some bonus points.

7. rumplestiltskin thread starter macrumors regular

I think you are missing the point. Many credit cards provide additional bonuses when you use the card for certain transaction categories (or, indeed, every transaction). So you decide to go with Apple Pay and now you may have agreed to forego those bonus points.

In fact, I -have- read the terms and conditions (a portion of which made up my original post). My point is that Apple's advertising provides glorious benefits to using Apple Pay while the truth of what you have given up (bonus points, in this context) is hidden at the end of a benefits terms & conditions document that, as you have commented, most people haven't bothered to read.

I'll take the extra few seconds to swipe my card, accumulate my bonus points, and get my free nights in the hotel or free flights or whatever. You, evidently, will not. That's your choice.

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Why not just call Amex and ask them? They'll probably be able to give you a definitive answer.

Apple Pay transactions are treated as "card-present" (as though the card had been swiped). That could mean you'll get the bonus points. Apple Pay is a "digital wallet", yes, but it's clearly treated differently than say Paypal or Google Wallet.

Edit: From Amex's website:

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Apple Pay's advertising has absolutely nothing to do with the terms and conditions given to you by your card issuer (in this case, AmEx). Their conditions over the transaction would hold paramount, especially in regards to the bonuses you would receive from using your card.

Apple Pay would supply the convenience and security.
    American Express provides your perks/bonuses, within the terms of your cardholder agreement.

If you go outside of the terms of those, you'd lose part or all of the bonuses/perks for that transaction. That is something that YOU would need to weigh the pros and cons on, not blame Apple Pay for your not being proactive prior to making the transaction.

BL.

10. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

I see a whole lot of assuming going on here. I'm thinking you should actually call your card issuer and confirm their policy before assuming Apple Pay is depriving you of awards.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You're complaining that American Express will not give you bonus points if you use Apple Pay.

I'm pointing out to you (even though it seems like you didn't read it) that American Express also does not give you bonus points if you shop online or buy products from specific merchants. How is that any different?

12. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I haven't noticed a difference in my points with Citi or Amex

13. Rigby macrumors 601

FWIW, all of the reward cards I have used with Apple Pay so far (Chase Freedom and Sapphire Preferred, BoA "1-2-3" Cash Back) earn points and bonuses exactly the same as if using the physical cards. I don't have an Amex though (can you not see if you earned the points for a transaction on their web page?).

The main issue with Apple Pay remains that too few retailers are supporting it ...

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This validates my first post in this thread; this is an issue with American Express and their terms and conditions, NOT Apple Pay.

The OP needs to take up this issue with his card issuer (American Express), as Apple Pay has nothing to do with it, outside the OP trying to make Apple Pay a scapegoat.

BL.

15. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

He apparently is creating a non existent issue. Apple Pay does qualify for AX benefits.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/apple-pay/faqs.html

16. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Apparently you don't know the difference between "may not" and "will not"
    big difference don't you think??;)