Apple Pay not working over half the time at Subway & Walgreens after adding TCF card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ToddJ, Mar 6, 2015.

1. ToddJ macrumors 6502

After I got my iPhone 6, there weren't many places that took Apple Pay...i tried it at Subway and it worked there at first and then it worked at Walgreens too. I mostly used AmEx cards and Citibank cards. However, once my bank finally started being Apple Pay capable (TCF Bank) it hasn't worked as well. Whether or not that has anything to do with it i don't know, but now it almost never works at Subway and it rarely works at Walgreens. Any suggestions or should I bring my iPhone 6 to Apple and get it switched out?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Several members have had to swap out their iPhones because of malfunctioning NFC so do get it checked out. The NFC induction coil can fail just like any other hardware in the iPhone.

3. puma1552 macrumors 601

wouldnt be surprised whatsoever if it was TCF's problem.

garbage bank on all fronts, and sounds like it was fine with other cards until tcf was thrown in the mix

maybe try disassociating the tcf card with apple pay and redoing it?

4. technosix macrumors 6502a

My brother uses his weekly without a problem. It's a feature he finds very handy. I'm waiting simply because I have no desire to be an early adopter. Nor do I find it inconvenient to make one fast swipe with my card.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The OP wasn't clear on this, but if Amex and Citi are also not working over half of the time it can't be due to the TCF card. Adding the TCF card might be a coincidence in term of timing.

Malfunctioning NFC terminal coil isn't always all or nothing. The issue can be intermittent with "Hold Near Reader" errors.