Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm having issues with Apple Pay. So far I've only taken it to two different McDonald's locations and experienced the same issue as before. My Apple Pay is set up with two cards and is activated in settings. I move my phone to the terminal and Apple Pay comes up automatically. Lightly resting my thumb on the Touch ID attempts to read the finger for payment and then it shows an ! stating that Touch ID or a passcode is required to pay. What's the deal? I tried both thumbs that are registered to the phone, bringing the phone to different levels of height and even letting the phone touch the terminal, with and without my case. Nothing is working :( the nfc chip is working just fine since Apple Pay comes up automatically.

Any help here, I really want to try using it. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    186.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 68

sluggozmom

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2011
Massachusetts
Not sure if it's the same thing... Last week at McDonalds I couldn't make my apple Pay work either.. After 5 or 6 tries someone else came over and told me to select credit or debit on the pad ..worked! Can't remember having that happen before

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
Not sure if it's the same thing... Last week at McDonalds I couldn't make my apple Pay work either.. After 5 or 6 tries someone else came over and told me to select credit or debit on the pad ..worked! Can't remember having that happen before
I didn't try this... Was it on the touchscreen or a button? And did you press credit or debit?

cchunk

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2012
This same exact issue has been happening to me. I was looking on the forums for someone else with the issue but finally I'm not the only one lol. It has happened to me every single time I try to use AP. Same exact issue where it says passcode or touch ID is needed. Not sure what the issue is though.

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Same with me about an hour ago at Whole Foods and McDonalds.

Using a 6S 128GB 9.0.1 and set up as new. Verified that all cards were added correctly.

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
This same exact issue has been happening to me. I was looking on the forums for someone else with the issue but finally I'm not the only one lol. It has happened to me every single time I try to use AP. Same exact issue where it says passcode or touch ID is needed. Not sure what the issue is though.

So annoying huh! Are you on an s model? If not has Apple Pay worked for you before 9.0.1? Could be a glitch in the update.

Can anyone on the latest update try Apple Pay and report back on the results?

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
What's odd is that my settings are perfect. If more users are experiencing the same issues then I'm leading towards a software issue.

I am inclined to agree. I double checked and made sure everything was fine. I'll test it out at the Apple Store on Wednesday because they have an Apple Pay demo.

nikhilnagaraj24

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2010
I tried at Macy's a couple hours ago and AP didn't work on my 6S Plus. I ended up using an actual credit card after 5-6 unsuccessful attempts.

cchunk

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2012
So annoying huh! Are you on an s model? If not has Apple Pay worked for you before 9.0.1? Could be a glitch in the update.

Can anyone on the latest update try Apple Pay and report back on the results?
yup very annoying. No i have a 6+. But ever since i updated to 9 it hasn't worked because I've used it before on 8.x. I am on 9.1 beta however, although that shouldn't really matter especially since you have issues as well

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
yup very annoying. No i have a 6+. But ever since i updated to 9 it hasn't worked because I've used it before on 8.x. I am on 9.1 beta however, although that shouldn't really matter especially since you have issues as well
Huh... More reason to believe it's all software-based.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.