Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
This feature has been around for a while.

View attachment 836990

Of course, you are required to enter your password after restarting or updating the device.
Yes I know that but like you point nation need full Apple ID password if you haven’t purchased in awhile, which is hilarious. Apple Pay a $3,000 TV after not using Apple Pay for awhile, not a problem. Download a free app, hold up!

DaveChapin88

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2019
That's what I discovered too. I can link my Apple Pay debit card to either my iTunes account or my App Store account, but not both. WHY???

Apple, nice try but you still have a few steps to figure out.

Actually you can mix and match iCloud and iTunes accounts if both accounts are high security accounts. Your iCloud account already has to be like this to be able to add cards to device Wallets. But apparently so does the iTunes account you are trying to add cards to.

Jordan Klein

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2016
Actually you can mix and match iCloud and iTunes accounts if both accounts are high security accounts. Your iCloud account already has to be like this to be able to add cards to device Wallets. But apparently so does the iTunes account you are trying to add cards to.
Even stranger:

I went to set this up on my iPad Pro 10.5" and was able to set it up on both my App Store and iCloud accounts. It synced that with the iPhone so both can now supposedly use Apple Pay for payments. Time will tell if this works out. I'm paying for iCloud storage and will be interested to see if there's any issues with payment after the change.

Very strange that it happened this way. I couldn't set it up on the iPhone for Apple Pay to be used by both but was able to do so on my iPad.

I wonder if Apple change something on the back-end after releasing the service. I could see this being the reason it worked on one but not the other initially.

Hmm. Maybe they actually read my post and did something useful? :cool:

MarkWade

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Tip in case anyone runs into the same problem that I did:

The account has to have Two Factor Authentication enabled. If you use different accounts for iCloud and iTunes the process is a bit convoluted:
  1. Log into https://appleid.apple.com with your iTunes Apple ID
  2. Under Security, if you see "Two Step Verification" (note: different to "Two Factor Authentication") turn it off
  3. Create a new user on your Mac and sign in with your iTunes Apple ID OR sign out of iCloud on an iOS device so that you now have an account where you are signed in with just your iTunes Apple ID (it doesn't have to be the iOS device where Apple Pay is set up)
  4. Enable two factor authentication in the normal way https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204915
  5. Either delete the Mac account created in step 3 or sign back into iCloud
  6. On your iOS device with Apple Pay set up, sign out of the iTunes Apple ID account and then back in
It should then work... or at least did for me.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Always shocked me how Apple Pay was not allowed for many Apple purchases. Even more baffling is the needing your full Apple ID password to download a free app and not just FaceID or TouchID. I can max out my credit cards using FaceID or TouchID in stores, but god forbid I download a free app or $1.99 app without my full password.
Apple has indeed supported for years the option to use of Touch ID or Face ID to authorize free app downloads and paid app purchases in the App Store, as well as iTunes purchases. If you're not given the option to use Face or Touch ID when you make a purchase on iTunes or the Appstore, go to settings>TouchID (or FaceID) & passcode and make sure the ıTunes & Appstore toggle switch ıs set to on (green).

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Actually in Hong Kong most of the merchants which have wireless terminals that accept PayWave / PayPass etc. support Apple Pay even if they do not express say it. Only some smaller merchants with weird terminals may have problems.
And here in Mexico it's exactly the other way around. Small and medium size merchants, as well as gas stations, restaurants and fast food joints, usually have standalone portable/wireless terminals that support contactless payment, and therefore can accept Apple Pay just fine. The problem are most of the retailers using integrated point of sale systems (i.e, those systems where the products to be purchased are scanned using barcodes and the credit card pin-pad is connected to a computer that controls it). With very few exceptions, these retailers still don't have contactless payment enabled even though the pin-pads they currently use, such as the Ingenico ipp 320 or Verifone vx 820, do have a built in contactless reader. They usually have the contactless readers disabled and only use the pin-pads for inserting chip cards, and more recently to accept Samsung Pay using MST.
[doublepost=1562216362][/doublepost]
Does anyone know if this would qualify for both 2% Apple Pay cashback and 3% Apple product/services cashback on Apple card?
It qualifies for the 3% cash back, since you're buying apple products. The 2% cash back is only for purchases made using Apple Pay anywhere other than Apple itself.

Reactions: haruhiko

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
I went into the Apple Store last week to buy a pair of Airpods and was shocked they accepted Apple Pay. It was quite a convoluted experience though. I’m hoping soon they’ll be able to correlate my in-store Apple Pay purchase with my Apple ID rather than making me enter in my Apple ID to their POS iPhone. There was lots of opportunity to improve the in-store check-out process.
That's weird. I've paid for purchases at Apple Stores in the US using Apple Pay several times and I was never asked once for my AppleID. All I had to do was tap my device just like I would at any other store.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
I know this is an old post. But I do not see the "Found in my wallet" section when adding payment method. Can anyone else see the Found in wallet? Did I do something wrong?

PS: region is US, two factor authentication is enabled.

icwhatudidthere

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2019
I'm trying to do the same thing, I only see Credit/Debit Card or Paypal as options. Also in the US and two factor is enabled.

I'm on the phone with Apple now, but the only thing she was trying to do was get me to add a card to Apple Pay.

ETA: The Apple rep now says they took that option away?! I think she just doesn't know what she's talking about.

Last edited:

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
I'm trying to do the same thing, I only see Credit/Debit Card or Paypal as options. Also in the US and two factor is enabled.

I'm on the phone with Apple now, but the only thing she was trying to do was get me to add a card to Apple Pay.

Thanks for the info! That's what I see as well. I attached a screen shot here.

5C327F27-AF3A-42CC-91F1-0B81DA7FA497_1_201_a.jpeg

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
Thanks for the info! That's what I see as well. I attached a screen shot here.

View attachment 900752
Same exact issue here. I have already added my credit card to my Wallet so it can be used for Apple Pay, yet when I made a purchase in the App Store, it told me I needed to add a payment method. When I go to add a payment method, I get the exact screen you posted, with no "found in wallet" section...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.