Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applepayjapan-250x403.jpg
Following the release of iOS 10.1 this morning, Apple has activated Apple Pay in Japan, making it available for use at all locations that accept the Suica prepaid money card, QuicPay, or iD.

Apple Pay in Japan is unique because rather than exclusively using NFC, it also supports the FeliCa payments standard that's been widely adopted in the country. iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models sold in Japan include a FeliCa chip, as do Apple Watch Series 2 models.

iPhone 7 and 7 Plus users in Japan can now use their iPhones to make purchases in cafes, purchase transit tickets, make purchases in apps and on websites, replace a Suica card, and more.

To use a Suica card with Apple Pay, customers in Japan will need to add their Suica card or Suica commuter card to the Wallet app. Once added, the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus can be used in place of a standard card.

Apple Pay in Japan works with credit and debit cards issued by American Express, JCB, Mastercard, Aeon Financial, Orico, Credit Saison, SoftBank, d Card, View Card, MUFG Card, and more.

An iPhone 7, 7 Plus, or Apple Watch Series 2 is required to make purchases in stores and at transportation facilities in Japan. The iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, and SE, along with iPad Pro models, the iPad Air 2, and the iPad mini 3 and later, can be used to make payments within apps and on the web.

Apple Pay is now available in 12 countries, including the U.S., UK, China, Australia, Canada, Switzerland, France, Hong Kong, Russia, Singapore, New Zealand, and Japan.

Article Link: Apple Pay Now Live in Japan

bkmintie

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2005
I'm curious if US iPhone 7's will support Mobile Suica or if it's limited to the Japanese market A1779/A1785 models.

Reactions: S G

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I'm curious if US iPhone 7's will support Mobile Suica or if it's limited to the Japanese market A1779/A1785 models.

I got the impression from a previous story that it was Japanese models only.

I don't enough about the Suica system to know if it is straightforward NFC, and therefore compatible with all iPhones with Apple Pay.

Would definitely be a bonus for visitors to Japan.. if there was an easy way to add Suica to your iPhone wallet. You then barely need to obtain any local Yen currency!

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012

I don't enough about the Suica system to know if it is straightforward NFC, and therefore compatible with all iPhones with Apple Pay.

Would definitely be a bonus for visitors to Japan.. if there was an easy way to add Suica to your iPhone wallet. You then barely need to obtain any local Yen currency!

Suica only works if you have a Japanese model iPhone/Apple Watch. What I'm wondering is, can you still use Apple pay on your phone, in Japan, regardless of country the iPhone was purchased.

Also, I travel to Japan for work. Does anyone know if I can buy an Apple Watch Series 2 (Japan Version) and use the Suica feature, while having a US iPhone? Or do I need both the combination being Japanese versions, phone and watch? I'd hate to have to buy another iPhone just for that feature.

Reactions: Ntombi

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I thought it was only FeliCa that required a Japan iPhone 7 and not Suica. I could be wrong though.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

Adding support for it outside of Japan is not going to happen because that would be millions of phones that need additional licensing fees to someone else.

Reactions: kdarling and inket

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Adding support for it outside of Japan is not going to happen because that would be millions of phones that need additional licensing fees to someone else.

License fees? Ah, then no, won't happen.

Still, cool for Japan.

I guess regionalisation is actually to be commended. It does demonstrate a commitment to non-US countries that sometimes feels absent.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I used Apple Pay for the first time here in Canada. I have to admit, it was quite slick how well it worked!

Just don't trying to use it at Canadian Tire Gas+ (it works, but the employees are jerks about it) or return something to Toys R Us that you purchased using Apple Pay. What a nightmare! Nothing to do with the technology, but the training of employees in both cases.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Suica only works if you have a Japanese model iPhone/Apple Watch. What I'm wondering is, can you still use Apple pay on your phone, in Japan, regardless of country the iPhone was purchased.

Also, I travel to Japan for work. Does anyone know if I can buy an Apple Watch Series 2 (Japan Version) and use the Suica feature, while having a US iPhone? Or do I need both the combination being Japanese versions, phone and watch? I'd hate to have to buy another iPhone just for that feature.

My wife and I go to Japan frequently and we happened to be there for the AW2 launch so we picked up the Japanese models (although our iPhone 7es are American models) in the hope that we'll be able to use them as pasmo devices when we visit. My assumption is that we will have to have a Japanese apple id in order to leverage it but I'm not sure yet. Her apple id is already tied to Japan and she has been able to use apple pay here in the US, so we'll see what happens.

jtuk

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2014
Yes but some sad proprietary system unlike PayPass/payWave like the rest of the world :(
My UK contactess card worked in Japan so would Apple pay also?
[doublepost=1477343158][/doublepost]
I have a Suica card and it seems very similar to London''s Oyster card...but I assume from reading here that it uses different technology. Apple Pay works in London on the tube and buses the same way as Oyster cards.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Too bad this is limited to iPhone 7s sold in Japan. I'll be visiting there soon and would love to use FeLiCa for public transport.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
TBH while it's a nice to have in a phone it's not that different than having pull your wallet out of your pocket and touch it to the reader (although you're somewhat more likely to already have your phone out and in your hand). That's why we went the watch route - with twins to haul around it's a real pain to have to get something out of a pocket. I got really good at just throwing my hip/butt up onto the turnstile reader as I passed by since my hands were always full of babies/crap (not literal crap).

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Just don't trying to use it at Canadian Tire Gas+ (it works, but the employees are jerks about it) or return something to Toys R Us that you purchased using Apple Pay. What a nightmare! Nothing to do with the technology, but the training of employees in both cases.

Thanks for the tip about Toys 'R Us. My general rule of thumb is never buy anything from that garbage store but everyone once in a while I need something from there.

Ihatefall

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Too bad this is limited to iPhone 7s sold in Japan. I'll be visiting there soon and would love to use FeLiCa for public transport.

You can still get a suica/ pasmo card. It costs 2000 yen and comes loaded with 1500 yen,
Once you're done with it, return it for a 500 yen refund.
You can buy a card for like 900 yen that blocks the interference from the iPhone and the suica card so you can slip it in your phone case. It's basically the same thing, and I have been doing it for 2 years now.

I am going to go with a US iP7+ and Japanese AW2. I HATE how the Japanese iPhones make a shutter sound that can't be turned off, unlike every other iPhone in the world.

Reactions: Corrode
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.