Apple pay now out of CVS as well.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dishfan82, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dishfan82 macrumors member

So Best Buy won't support Apple Pay, then Rite Aid, Walmart and now CVS!! Your thoughts sound off.

2. duaneu macrumors 6502a

3. aevelasquez macrumors regular

Best Buy didn't support Apple Pay from the get go, but being upset about that is like if you decide to run for mayor and get angry at that one dead guy who didn't vote for you. They're well on their way out.

Rite-Aid and CVS are flip-flopping just like Walmart did, because they're apparently the only thing worse than a money grubbing whore...and that's a stupid money grubbing whore. I'd like to meet the person who, in each of these cases, said, 'Hey guys, let's collectively boycott Apple Pay, each in favor of a different alternative, because if there's anything we know about Apple and their products its that people aren't loyal enough to them to take their business elsewhere to a place that isn't run by jackasses who live with their heads up their collective asses.'

Morons.

4. leopardhead2021 macrumors 6502

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    So just disable your nfc machines to make it easier for me to go to someone else that makes it easier, safer and more convenient for me to shop at their stores.
    Cause obviously millions of iphone users and their daily spending doesn't matter to those retailers I guess.

6. dishfan82 thread starter macrumors member

I'll gladly go take my business over to Walgreens. They have a better rewards system anyways. Why would a business make a stupid move and lose tons of customers all in one process?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And its not just Applepay users, also all other forms of NFC payments completely gone.
    I don't get these people...

8. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

9. dishfan82 thread starter macrumors member

All because they want to promote their app. Why not offer all these convenient ways to pay instead of blocking Google Wallet and Apple Pay?

10. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Less places to shop at then... so we'll all go to the Apple Store, Walgreens, Target and Panera, etc.

I don't know what these businesses are doing but they're pretty much turning away business. Not sure why people wouldn't just walk out and say "keep it, I don't want it".

11. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Apple pay will be whatever. To inconvenient.

I think that nothing can the "card", nothing I tell you! Buahha

12. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

So when will Apple grow some and pull the currentC app?

13. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Just used Applepay at WEGMANS supermarket today for the first time and while it worked well I still had to sign the terminal screen. Totally makes no sense.

First I had to fish the phone out of my pocket, then select debit or credit on their terminal screen, then touch the phone to their terminal, then sign the terminal. Would have been faster and easier just to take out my credit card and swipe it.

It should simply be "tap and go." What did signing the terminal do for them? It needed my fingerprint so obviously it was me.

----------

People have been shopping at those places for years. Do you really think they will stop shopping there because they can't use their $700 phone to buy a 50c pack of gum or pay for a prescription? I highly doubt it. The whole thing is a gimmick right now.

Pretty soon there will be 20 threads called #APPLEPAYGATE because people will be dropping their phones when they take them out of their pockets to pay or when they touch it to the terminal they will drop it. It's just a gimmick. Maybe in another 10 years but now the vast majority of iPhone(6) users probably don't care about Applepay. And no, the small minority of iPhone 6 users that reside here are a drop n the bucket compared to the rest of the people out there.

Most people will try it a couple times then go back to the plastic.

14. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Man that's playing dirty! But I like it :D maybe they have some other way of putting the screws to CVS too >:) sometimes you have to pull the gloves off in this capitalistic market! It ain't all perfect and clean!

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple Pay is just a simplified, more secure version of credit cards.

Are they going to stop taking credit cards as well if/when they establish their own contactless pay method next year?

Makes no sense.

16. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Which Wegmans did you go to? I see your in NJ and so am I at the moment. I went to Wegmans today and couldn't tell if the machine could accept it or not. I really don't know what to look for.

17. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Look for either the sideways Wi-Fi sign, a MasterCard PayPass logo, or in some cases, just four circles on the screen. Some won't even show the circles, you just have to tap the phone on there anyway. In the case of my local grocery store, as seen in this picture, there are four circles on the screen, signifying NFC is activated, so just tap the phone, touch ID and pay.

Attached Files:

18. neteng101 macrumors 65816

If I had to go to a store today - one only took cash, and the other took credit too - where do you think those stores that take cash only stand? For the most part these stores have been put out of business.

NFC should be NFC period, if you don't support NFC then just like the credit card driving cash only businesses out of business, you'll see the same thing happen as behaviors get adjusted.

I only pay cash and go into a store that takes cash when there's a real need for it. Even pizza stores take credit these days, the local sandwich place that has been around for decades started taking credit recently.

That's the reality - don't offer people the convenience and they'll go elsewhere if given a choice. And your business loses in the end.

19. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

It's not because they want to promote their app. It is because THEY NEED TO TRACK YOU it is part of their business model now and they're freaked out that they will not be able to do this any more.

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I wonder if CC companies will fight back at all. Maybe they could require NFC payments rather than just chip & pin next year

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Having Chip & PIN though is a step up because most of these terminals also have NFC. So you may not get Walmart and Best Buy, but that opens a whole host of mom & pop businesses that now work with Apple Pay.

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I agree, but it is somewhat worrisome that some of the largest retailers in this country are blocking the tech. I doubt CurrentC will ever become mainstream, but it does seem like this could set back NFC adoption by a couple years in the US.

Too bad Apple didn't roll out Apple Pay a few years ago before MCX was even a thing.

23. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

Ohh the inhumanityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.