• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fans of the Colorado Rockies, Detroit Tigers, Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, and New York Yankees are now able to use Apple Pay either for the first time or in many more places at each team's respective stadium.

Cash-Retail-800x534.jpg

Los Angeles company Appetize today announced it has launched its modern point-of-sale solution at five Major League Baseball stadiums, including Angel Stadium in Anaheim, Comerica Park in Detroit, Coors Field in Denver, Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, and Yankee Stadium in New York City.

While some of the ballparks already accepted Apple Pay to a limited extent, Appetize's technology extends Apple Pay widely to concession stands, team merchandise stores, and other new areas. The NFC-enabled terminals also support other EMV-based payment options such as Chip-and-PIN cards and Masterpass.

DSC04788-800x534.jpg

Appetize said wait staff will also be using its iPad mini-based handheld point-of-sale solution for in-seat ordering and delivery.

A spokesperson for Appetize told MacRumors that most of the ballparks were previously using legacy point-of-sale systems, primarily with swipe-only functionality for credit and debit cards. Kauffman Stadium did widely accept Apple Pay at concession stands during the 2014 World Series in partnership with MasterCard.

Appetize had already installed its solution at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, Fenway Park in Boston, and Citi Field in New York City.

Article Link: Apple Pay Now Widely Accepted at Yankee Stadium, Coors Field, Comerica Park and Two Other MLB Ballparks

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Apple Pay is also available at the retail locations at the new SunTrust Park, home of the Atlanta Braves.

Registers at all team stores at the ballpark, as well as the store at CNN Center and their Minor League affiliates (Gwinnett, Rome, Mississippi) support Apple Pay and have since last season. These locations all support EMV with chip reader as well.

Comment

djstile

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Good to see Apple Pay being available in more places for quick transactions! I hate having to wait at EMV terminals at busy places like baseball stadiums - ends up holding up the line.

Last edited:
Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Apple Pay is also available at the retail locations at the new SunTrust Park, home of the Atlanta Braves.

Registers at all team stores at the ballpark, as well as the store at CNN Center and their Minor League affiliates (Gwinnett, Rome, Mississippi) support Apple Pay and have since last season. These locations all support EMV with chip reader as well.

Thank you for posting this information. I was about to throw a fit if SunTrust Park didn't support Apple Pay given that it's a brand new stadium.

Comment

ThaRuler

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2016
You make it sound like Kansas City is some hick town...

Are you saying it's not?

Comment

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Thank you for posting this information. I was about to throw a fit if SunTrust Park didn't support Apple Pay given that it's a brand new stadium.

I can't speak for the concessions locations, but all of the retail (merchandise, shirts, hats, etc.) locations are up to date and good to go :)

Comment

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I've never seen a NFC reader system at any Dodger Stadium concession. In fact I haven't even seen a chip reader, only swipe.

Comment

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
While Apple Pay is a great implementation it always surprises me that NFC-based payments are still novel in parts of the world.

Reactions: Stella
Comment

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Any word on when Petco Park is going to get this or any other similar POS system?
Best to ask Petco Park directly.

Most sports stadiums are operated by a concessionnaire. Each one has a different timetable on when new amenities are deployed.

The limiting factor isn't Apple here. It is the merchant in adopting Apple Pay (or any other guest amenity).

Comment

Aston441

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I do not care. At all. That's not where I've been skimmed. Twice.

Apple Pay needs to be on gas pumps.

Gas pumps.

Gas pumps.

So I don't have to go through the hassle of paying cash for gas any more in hopes of not being skimmed again.

Apple pay needs to be on gas pumps.

How about it Big Oil?

Comment

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Best to ask Petco Park directly.

Most sports stadiums are operated by a concessionnaire. Each one has a different timetable on when new amenities are deployed.

The limiting factor isn't Apple here. It is the merchant in adopting Apple Pay (or any other guest amenity).

I don't know of any sports stadium not operated by the team. The concessions might be operated by concessionaires, but not the stadiums themselves.

This is why I am dubious about the claim being made by this company that they've rolled out NFC at Dodger Stadium, where I have definitely never seen anything but swipe terminals. More likely they've sold it to only one or more of the concessionaires at the stadium.

Comment

jermwhl

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I do not care. At all. That's not where I've been skimmed. Twice.

Gas pumps.

Gas pumps.

So I don't have to go through the hassle of paying cash for gas any more in hopes of not being skimmed again.

Apple pay needs to be on gas pumps.

How about it Big Oil?
That sucks! I always pull on the reader (when applicable) before putting my card in, as I'm leery of those damn things.

Comment

mgroover

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
While Apple Pay is a great implementation it always surprises me that NFC-based payments are still novel in parts of the world.

I just in Florida (Orlando/Ft Lauderdale/Miami) a month ago (hello from Sweden) and a lot of people working in stores wondered what I was doing with my Samsung phone/watch and my contactless payment cards (Visa/Mastercard/Amex cards) when doing payments. Still get the same reactions in Sweden because we did a major migration to chip based readers some years ago and are just playing catch up on the NFC terminals.

Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US

How about it Big Oil?

It's in process. I've seen it at a CircleK/Shell pump while travelling a few months ago. Valley, Alabama. Not exactly a major metro location. Go figure. Haven't yet seen it at the two Costco or one Sams pumps I usually use. I ought to check at a newly refurbished QT I'm sometimes near.

Comment

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I wish more places accepted Apple Pay or other versions. I like the security and I use Apple Pay when places accept it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.