Apple Pay on iPhone 5, 5C and 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robinp, Sep 14, 2014.

1. robinp macrumors 6502

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Yep.

And you don't even need a phone around when you pay with the watch.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll have to wait until 2015 though for that ability, if you don't get an iPhone 6, since the watch is not due out until then.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You don't need to get it out of your pocket but it needs to be on your person or within range.

5. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Nope. You don't need a phone around. You just need a phone to setup and sync from time to time so the watch actually know who you are.
    Think about when you go running and want to buy something on the way back. Boom. Paid.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

And how would it communicate the transaction without the iPhone if the watch has no wifi?

7. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

As far as I understand, it'll lock your ID in the watch for a period of time. And Apple Pay only need NFC.
    This is still obscure though. I just heard from various sources about this.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So in other words it's not confirmed and you don't really know.

9. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

I think it may be possible to have an offline mode for the watch and still use nfc apple pay. As long as its synced from time to time. After all, NFC transit cards do not require connectivity to be able to be scanned at turnstiles and busses. (Transaction is actually done on the businesses' hardware which requires Internet connection).

10. matrix07, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

It's Apple's fault keeping it obscure. Since what I heard is a bit sci-fi I can't be 100% sure but the sources are all reliable. Why not keep this information in consideration instead of shooting it down?
    People speculated that it need Touch ID on iPhones for confirmation but that seems not to be the case since it's also working with iPhone 5. So if it knows your ID in the watch, you don't need BT or Wi-Fi to pay. I think it's making sense.

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The watch "locks down" your ID through skin contact. If you remove the watch, you have to re-enter a PIN to reenable Apple Pay.