Apple pay on the watch-notifications?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by x-evil-x, Jun 3, 2015.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i get notifications every time i use my phone to pay with apple pay i get a text that is set up. I never get a text when using the phone I've tried both ways of mirroring the phone and the other way and i still don't seem to be getting notifications every time i use apple pay on the watch. Anybody else notice this or have a solution?

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Huh? "i get notifications every time i use my phone to pay with apple pay i get a text that is set up. I never get a text when using the phone"

You mean watch? No idea there.

3. flur macrumors 68000

OP means watch. I don't get a text either, just the feedback that the watch gives me at the POS terminal that the transaction went through. I don't use it on the phone (I have a 5s) so I didn't know there was supposed to be anything more.

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

Same with me. I have a 5S

5. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Same here, it just pays. I don't get the alert stating the payment, the location and the amount on the watch or the phone.

6. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

yup no alert text or anything. Doesn't show up in paid summary in the phones settings either.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Your card issuer has to support the function if you are to get notifications. I get notifications from Amex (both Blue Cash and Costco Truearnings cards) but not Citi Dividend card.

If it doesn't show up on your iPhone 6/6+, it doesn't get mirrored to the Watch.

8. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

like i said i get notifications if i use my phone to pay. Everything through my bank is verified. Its when i use the watch on either setting mirrored or not i don't get any notifications. If i use the phone i get a text. watch no

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not sure what to tell you because iPhone notifications are mirrored to my Watch whether I use my iPhone, Watch or even my physical Amex card.

10. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

have you actually bought things from the watch and got a notification? I've tried it both ways

11. JayLenochiniMac, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes.

I'm still on 1.0. Others should chime in to see if it's something that 1.0.1 broke.

12. EvilManatee macrumors member

EvilManatee

I've noticed the same thing as x-evil-x. I've used Apple pay on the watch at Whole Foods and Walgreens and it has worked perfectly, but I thought it was weird that I did not get a notification saying the charge went through like I do when I use Apple pay on my iPhone. I have Bank of America and I get a notification when I use Apple pay on my iPhone but not on my watch.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Perhaps it's card issuer specific? Works with Amex but not BofA?

Do you get notifications on iPhone if you use your physical BofA card? I get this with Amex, even if I make a purchase online. I actually find this annoying though.

14. EvilManatee macrumors member

EvilManatee

No I do not get notifications when I use my BoA cards, just when I use apple pay and only when apple pay is used on my iPhone. It is weird because I had a pebble before and when I used apple pay on my iPhone the iPhone would send a notification to my pebble. It is surprising that the native apple pay app on the apple watch when used with BOA does not provide notifications.

15. alxz1194 macrumors member

I've noticed this as well. I don't get any notification on the watch for a card that I have only added to the watch. When I pay, it just confirms, and that's it; no notification for amount/location/date

16. JayLenochiniMac, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What card is this? Trying to determine if it's card issuer specific.

On the other hand, if you've added a particular card to the Watch but not the iPhone, it makes sense that you get no notifications because the Watch can only mirror what appears on the iPhone.

17. flur macrumors 68000

No, that doesn't make sense. The watch doesn't mirror anything for Apple Pay. Everything has to be set up as new.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It does mirror iPhone notifications from Passbook & Apple Pay in iPhone settings if you have "Mirror my iPhone" enabled in My Watch settings, at least for Amex. I get transactions showing under Card Notifications from Amex whether I use Apple Pay (either on iPhone or Watch), the physical Amex card (in-store purchases), or paid online, and as such, all notifications/transaction amounts get mirrored to my Watch as I have the "Mirror my iPhone" enabled.

19. flur macrumors 68000

I suspect that setting is only mirroring for passbook, and you getting the notifications has more to do with Amex than with the passbook/AP setting. Hopefully more Amex users will chime in.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's why I asked if it's card issuer specific. Perhaps Amex sends notifications for all transactions associated with a particular card but other issuers don't do this and hence they don't get mirrored.

21. crawdad62 macrumors regular

crawdad62

I have two cards attached to Apple Pay. One is an AMEX card and one is a bank issued debit card. Haven't used the AMEX but on the debit if I use my iPhone 6 I get a notification with the place of purchase and the amount. If I use my Apple Watch nothing. I would assume if your bank supports notifications on the phone it should on the watch since it (the watch) mirrors the phone.

The first time I ever used Apple Pay was on the watch. Little marked/butcher shop. The owner rang up my purchase and I used my watch. He asked if I needed a receipt and I said yeah give me one since I'm not sure if I get a total. We laughed and he said you probably already have it. I checked when I got to the truck and it wasn't there. Next day or two I used my iPhone 6 at Meijer and my watch alerted me a second or two after the transaction was complete.

22. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i have wells fargo credit card and debit card both set up and no notifications with either on watch only.

23. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

digging up an older thread as I was having notification/no trans record like you.
    I wonder if this is something to do with different machine card number between the iPhone and the watch.
    I have the WF app, it only shows trans list when I use the phone, not the watch.
    bug report it is then.

24. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I use a Wells Fargo Visa card and the passbook app on my phone does not show any transactions that happened from my Watch.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't think it's Apple's bug. The card issuer has to offer that feature. I have no problem getting transactions and notifications to show on iPhone when using my Amex card on the Watch. On the other hand, my Citi Dividend MC doesn't support this.