Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
:apple:Pay is the new payment system from Apple set to launch in the US next month with other countries surely soon to follow.

We have seen demos of it in action to purchase items in then real word in bricks and mortar stores but also in-app buttons such as booking an Uber cab.

What we haven't seen is a [Pay with :apple:Pay] buttons on regular websites.

It would be great to see a new door handle online that I wanted, going to the checkout and then confirming it on my iPhone via fingerprint without all the faffing about of registering and typing in all my card details etc.

Could we see Apple Pay branch out to compete against PayPal, Google Wallet and Amazon Payments? If not, why not? The technology clearly is there.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I can see that happening down the road. I would much rather see :apple: Pay than PayPal etc.
PayPal still has value in that it stores money in its own "wallet" so that you can receive money from other people. But there are many small mom&pop stores that sell products and take payments via PayPal that absolutely could be replaced by Apple Pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.