Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today sent out emails for a new Apple Pay promotion, offering a $5 discount on groceries when you spend $35 or more through Instacart. To get the discount, you'll need to use Apple Pay and shop in the Instacart app.

instacart_apple_pay_promo.jpg

The discount will be applied automatically during the checkout process and will be available until 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on October 20, 2019. Apple says there may some restrictions on geographic availability and the offer can not be applied to alcohol products.

Apple's promotion also provides links to other grocery delivery apps including ACME, Cub, Publix, Safeway, Shaw's, and Star Market.

Instacart is a frequent partner on Apple Pay promos, having offered free delivery January 2018, February 2018, May 2018, and May 2019.

Article Link: Apple Pay Promo Offers $5 Off Instacart Grocery Delivery

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2018
Instacart prices are 10-15% more than in-store prices, in addition to the delivery fee. It’s a bit ridiculous and frankly, dishonest. I rather they charge a higher fee than to nickel and dime on every item purchased.

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
Instacart prices are 10-15% more than in-store prices, in addition to the delivery fee. It’s a bit ridiculous and frankly, dishonest. I rather they charge a higher fee than to nickel and dime on every item purchased.
I would assume most of these kind of specialty services do the same thing. Those prices are set by the merchant, and there is probably a reason for the increase. Uber Eats does the same exact thing. I don’t know what the exact deal is between Uber and the restaurants, but I would imagine that it’s not a free setup... there’s a lot of work involved past the sign up process (handling of monies, menus, custom themes or UI, etc.) not only does Uber get something from the customer getting the delivery, but there is probably some service fee to the restaurant, which the restaurant passes onto the customer by charging inflated prices. It’s probably a percentage based on the deliveries a particular restaurant gets. Instacart probably does the same thing.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I would assume most of these kind of specialty services do the same thing. Those prices are set by the merchant, and there is probably a reason for the increase. Uber Eats does the same exact thing. I don’t know what the exact deal is between Uber and the restaurants, but I would imagine that it’s not a free setup... there’s a lot of work involved past the sign up process (handling of monies, menus, custom themes or UI, etc.) not only does Uber get something from the customer getting the delivery, but there is probably some service fee to the restaurant, which the restaurant passes onto the customer by charging inflated prices. It’s probably a percentage based on the deliveries a particular restaurant gets. Instacart probably does the same thing.
You forgot apple gets their cut too. You have to use apple pay.

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
You forgot apple gets their cut too. You have to use apple pay.
The merchant is not charged a fee for ApplePay. That is, where do you think Google Wallet, Samsung Pay, or other non-CC attached NFC payment systems get their cut? Are they charging the merchant directly? No.

Apples cut is from the banks - not the merchants. The banks pay for the identity and security protection provided by it.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011

10-15% more at Aldi is still cheaper than the Shop n' Save and Giant Eagle chains around me. Plus I don't have to worry about my lack of self control when I'm in the store, and toss things in my cart that I don't need. :)

Yaelmae3

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2021

Apple today sent out emails for a new Apple Pay promotion, offering a $5 discount on groceries when you spend $35 or more through Instacart. To get the discount, you'll need to use Apple Pay and shop in the Instacart app.

instacart_apple_pay_promo.jpg

The discount will be applied automatically during the checkout process and will be available until 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on October 20, 2019. Apple says there may some restrictions on geographic availability and the offer can not be applied to alcohol products.

Apple's promotion also provides links to other grocery delivery apps including ACME, Cub, Publix, Safeway, Shaw's, and Star Market.

Instacart is a frequent partner on Apple Pay promos, having offered free delivery January 2018, February 2018, May 2018, and May 2019.

Article Link: Apple Pay Promo Offers $5 Off Instacart Grocery Delivery
Can they do this for HODXpress as well? A collab between them and Apple pay would be absolutely perfect. I use Apple pay for so many things, wouldn’t even be able to count it if you’d ask me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.