Apple pay question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by impulse462, Oct 14, 2014.

1. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

My bank isn't supported on the list of banks on apples website, but my credit and debit card they have issued me is a VISA card. Will I still be able to use apple pay (since Visa cards are accepted) or would I have to wait for the bank to be enrolled as well?

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Your card issuing bank needs to support it.

My bank will be supporting their MC/Visa cards first, with AmEx rolling out later. So they don't even have to do it all at once.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Where did you hear that AmEx is rolling out later?

AmEx is its own bank so all cards that you get directly from them should in theory be supported.

4. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Every VISA card will not work. It depends on the financial institution that issued the card, which has to support tokenization. That is, your credit card number is converted to a token in your device. The token is submitted to the merchant and, in turn, to the credit card network and then the issuing bank for approval and back to the merchant (all that happens in seconds while you hold your iPhone 6 up to the NFC card reader at Walgreens). The token is mapped back to your actual account number as part of the process, but only tokens are transmitted back and forth.

So if your issuing bank is not yet part of the tokenization payment process, it likely will not be able to be Apple Pay compatible. The card BRANDs (i.e. VISA) support tokenization, but the banks have to as well.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

If you read what I wrote - I was referring to *my* bank. Their Amex cards will roll out later - and I read it on the banks website.

https://communities.usaa.com/t5/USAA-News/Power-of-USAA-Coming-to-Apple-Pay/

6. caesarp macrumors 6502a

AmEx is already on board with Apple Pay.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp...y-notes-american-express-visa-and-mastercard/

They do have banks issue AmEx branded cards, so depending on the bank those cards may not yet work.

----------

Many AmEx cards are issued directly by AmEx. Hence the confusion. AmEx is on board already. But if you have a bank issued branded AmEx card, then yes they have to be on board too. But USAA is on board I believe.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Your first post is what I was referring too - the USAA issued Amex cards will not work at the USAA rollout, only the Visa and MC branded cards. I quoted the part in the link I posted that said it. I personally don't have an Amex card of any flavor any longer. They did NOT do right by me, and I choose to no longer do business with them. Oddly, one of my Supervisors had a similar occurrence and ceased using them too. It was nice to find someone else that "got it". I don't begrudge anyone that has great experiences with them - and in their defense, they thought they were doing me a favor. I looked at it differently.

The key is, the issuing BANK needs to support Apple Pay before it will work - it doesn't matter which label the card has, Visa, MC, Amex because it needs to be in place by the bank first.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm guessing you meant "not every VISA card will work" based on the subsequent comments. Correct?

9. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

That's exactly what they said, only you moved the word "not" to a different place in your sentence.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Exactly. The two statements mean very different things, the difference being where the "not" is placed.

Every VISA card will not work.
    Not every VISA card will work.​

Lest someone get confused, I thought it would be helpful to the community to clarify.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We know what they meant based on context and it's actually a common grammatical error that many people make. "Every VISA card will not work" technically implies all VISA cards will not work.

12. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Correct -- the card brand itself doesn't control. The issuing bank has to be on board.

13. impulse462 thread starter Suspended

impulse462

Thanks for the explanation.

14. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I think you meant to reply to deeddawg, but that's what I was saying.

15. weaverra macrumors regular

Call them and find out. I did with my credit union and they said they in fact will be supporting Apple Pay. That list on the Apple website is for fluff. There are many more that will be supporting this than on that list.

----------

I think it really has more to do with the company that handles the debit and credit processing for the bank or credit union more than the bank or credit union itself unless they are the processor.

16. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

Yeah, my sister is very annoyed that her USAA Amex won't work with Apple Pay yet.... and doubly annoyed that my USAA MC will be working at the USAA rollout.

17. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Does anyone know if you can have different default credit cards for different locations or even different types of merchants? I use a different CC for gas stations, than I do for restaurants, than I do for grocery stores. I use the one that gives me the highest cash back :)

18. caesarp macrumors 6502a

You choose ONE default card. But you can easily use your non-default when making a purchase. So you'll have to choose one and live with it (and switch to the other when needed).

19. impulse462 thread starter Suspended

impulse462

I happened to call my bank (comerica) and they were pretty adamant that all of their cards worked with apple pay, but whenever I try to add my visa card my phone tells me that the issuer doesn't support apple pay yet. I don't know where I can find a list of that 500 banks, but it's kind of annoying. Anyone have an experience like this?

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

For a list of bank-issued Visa cards, see http://usa.visa.com/clients-partner...on/apple-pay/financial-institutions/index.jsp

21. impulse462 thread starter Suspended

impulse462