Apple Pay: receipts?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by jimthing, Jun 16, 2015.

1. jimthing, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015

jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

A question for those who have used it regularly...

Q: How are receipts handled? Do you get them emailed to you automatically (or optionally)? I thought I read they appear somewhere else...? [for returning items, and reconciling bank statements, etc.]

Thanks in advance.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

You get the same receipt as the one you would get if you used the credit/debit card directly, without Apple Pay.

3. jimthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimthing

I thought there was a record made somewhere on the device of all the transactions...?

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Some card/banks turn on an optional feature that will provide in the Passbook app more detail for your purchases. American Express will show purchase history in the Passbook card field each time the card is used even if you didn't use ApplePay to make the purchase. My father in law loves this as a way to watch for activity and last year caught some bogus charges this way. Then you have cards (like both of mine) that only show the last transaction made with ApplePay and both are vague. My credit card will show where I used ApplePay, my debit card only shows the amount spent.

Your receipt will be similar to what you have received in the past with two exceptions. The card number on the paper will reflect your device ID, not the last 4 of your card and there will be no name on the paper because its not part of the transaction with ApplePay. These two things are part of the added security of the system. You could drop your receipt and it will mean nothing to the finder. In the past it meant little but did include some personal info. Now it includes none.

5. jimthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Thanks for the reply. Seems a bit of a shame really to me, as it'd be great if one could deal with receipts digitally along with everything else these days.

Personally, I'd like it if the store could email me a receipt on every transaction, so I wouldn't have to carry all those paper receipt stubs in my physical wallet, which I then have to keep emptying all the time. It'd also make the reconciling of bank statements at the end of each month a lot easier too having them all in one place automatically.

I do wonder why Apple didn't consider this a useful feature of the service, from the outset?

6. TheMountainLife macrumors member

Would be awesome if receipts could be sent electronically but its not something Apple can do alone. The merchant has to have the support/programming within whoever POS service they use. It also contradicts the whole "contactless payment" point of Apple Pay because the business would have your email address.

As more and more businesses support paperless billing, I can easily see electronic receipts becoming the next standard.

7. heleneberk macrumors newbie

I also hate paper receipts. It's 2017! One of my networking contacts is working on a way to digitize this. Would love to chat about it and get your opinion, if interested.
    ----------

8. MC6800 macrumors 6502

Some stores ask me if I'd like an email receipt, but that would require giving them an email address. Guess what their marketing department would use that for...

9. heleneberk macrumors newbie

I've had that, too, but it takes time and I just want to get my stuff and go. The clerk made a typo before, too, so then I never even got the email at all.