Apple Pay reporting card error on terminal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newdeal, Dec 4, 2015.

1. newdeal macrumors 68020

I am in Canada, I have used Apple pay before with my new Amex card that is setup in my phone. I just tried using it at a hardware store down the street. When I attempted to use Apple Pay the terminal reported a card error. I tried twice, it didn't work either time in spite of me using it as I normally would and everything seeming OK on the phone. I then took out the actual card, tapped it and it worked no problem. The terminal at that store uses a dial up connection, I am wondering why I had this error and if Apple Pay requires the terminal be hooked up to a broadband connection? That was the only thing I could think of

2. john991 macrumors 6502a

I had the same issue at my local subway, card error. Wonder if the tap to pay terminal isn't updated to support the Apple NFC chip? Next time I go in I'll check the name of the terminal to compare with others.

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I thought that Apple Pay only works at certain businesses that have set up the service? So which franchise was it?

C

4. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

It was Home Hardware but I would have thought it would work anywhere that NFC and Amex was accepted. I have successfully used it at Tim Hortons and Canadian Tire

5. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah I just looked at apples page. It says it should work anywhere American express contactless payments are accepted so clearly there is an issue on their end

6. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... The Apple website SAYS you can use it anywhere "Amex contactless payments are supported", but then they go on and specify a few companies...

http://www.apple.com/ca/apple-pay/

I'd contact HH, and maybe Apple directly if they can't help.

C