Apple Pay requires debit card pin?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dangerfish, Oct 21, 2014.

1. dangerfish macrumors 6502

I just used Apple Pay for the first time at an Office Depot. The process was simple and straight forward but the cashier did ask if it was "debit or credit" and then asked me to input my debit card pin. Whats the point of that? Seems like that shouldnt be necessary. If using a credit card, are you still going to have to sign for a purchase?

2. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

If you are using a debit card with a "Visa" or "MasterCard" logo then when you are at the cashier just say "Credit" rather than debit.

I'm sure that would have resolved your issue.

I think Apple has yet to overcome the pin card issue and maybe its not in their hands and is more in the banks hands.

This is one of the reasons they didn't launch in Canada along with US because in Canada all Bank debit and credit cards use EMV [Chip & PIN] system and that is difficult to overcome...its also something "Coin" the plastic electronic credit card is having issues with.

Since debit cards use PIN, it must be required as Apple cannot input that PIN on your behalf.

3. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Just say credit.

4. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

So with Apple Pay, you have to tell them credit, they hit the credit button and then you scan the phone? Is that the process?

So, if you don't have to open Passbook to use Apple Pay, doesn't that mean NFC is always on?

5. deviant macrumors 65816

must be like bluetooth, activates only when it detects the signal

6. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

But that's not how bluetooth works on the iPhone. It is either on or off and turned on/off manually.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You hold the phone next to the reader, the reader sends a signal to your phone to activate the screen. NFC is off until the reader sends that signal.
    You Touch ID, and then hear the beeps from both the phone and the terminal and you're good.

8. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

But if NFC is off, then how can it receive a signal? What is receiving a signal to turn on NFC?

9. deviant macrumors 65816

you know how the bluetooth icon is dimmed when it's not used on the iPhone and it consumes almost nothing? might be the same. that's why bluetooth 4.0 was "invented" ;)

10. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It isn't completely off, much like the terminal itself, it sits in what's called a low power "ready state." Because you have to Touch ID to actually get it to send over any card information, nobody can just walk by with a scanner. And if they do manage to walk by with a scanner to try to skim information off your phone, they will get the fake card numbers that the iPhone generates, and not your real card.

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

By default, your debit card will act as a debit card (makes sense right?). So if you just put up your phone next to the reader, it will set up and act as a debit card and ask for your pin. If you tell the person at the register to set it as credit, then you wont be asked for a pin.

Normal cards, such as Visa, AMEX, etc. just go right thru.

12. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

Just to throw my .02 cents in.

When I use my Debit card, I always use it as debit because:

1) in most instances it will deduct from your bank account quicker than using the credit option.

2) it cost the merchant much less to process the order on a debit as opposed to credit.

As far as #2, I know it makes no difference to the consumer directly, but I like doing it cause I'm a nice guy and a believer in trickle down whereas if a merchant saves money in one area, it might result in lower prices in the future.

13. meirvin macrumors member

yes but using as a debit card is less secure, I know I have been in line and saw people's pin numbers plus if someone is using one of those scanners rip off things they won't get your pin number if using as credit, so I as a rule of thumb use or say credit all the time.