Apple Pay requiring signature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by qtrim, Nov 30, 2014.

1. qtrim macrumors regular

qtrim

Used Apple Pay at OfficeDepot and HomeDepot and both times it went through, but the terminal still asked me to sign. Wondering if it's a vender issue?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's case by case depending on the retailer.
    Some don't ask for anything further like McDonald's and walgreens.
    Others might still ask you to sign.

3. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Also depends on the amount. Some stores dont want a signature below $50. But yes, depends on the retailer. Once they realize the signature is basically useless, they will stop.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not necessarily. The signature has traditionally served two different purposes: 1) to confirm your identity and 2) as an agreement to pay the card issuer. With Apple Pay, confirming your identity is moot but they may still want the signature as an agreement to pay the card issuer. In fact, Apple support page on Apple Pay says the following:

The first two times I used Apple Pay at Petco, they didn't ask for my signature. The third time I used it when the transaction amount was over $200, they did ask for it.

5. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Good point. I guess I wonder how long before my "fingerprint" is sufficient as a payment agreement. I ask coz I mostly scribble chicken scratch on the receipt versus a proper signature. But maybe the act of scribbling is enough.

6. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

Signature verification is a joke nowadays, they aren't even verified anymore. You can draw a dick for you signature and it wouldn't matter.

7. lilfool4life macrumors member

LOL this is hilarious!

8. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I used Apple Pay at Home Depot with an Amex that wasn't the primary card. It did not ask for a signature, but Petco with the same card did require a signature. I think the terminals that have additional questions, like donation requests, ask for sigs in case you donate. I'm not sure of that, but it's a possibility..

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, if they can get proof of that for documentation purposes but since they don't have access to our TouchIDs, they have to resort to signatures as a payment agreement even if they look like chicken scratches.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I think signatures are just an antiquated way of doing things. My wife makes it a point to just draw a squiggle (nothing like her real signature) whenever she signs anything. She has never been stopped. I actually sign because, well, I don't know why.

11. LessO2 macrumors regular

Why would I want to draw a picture of Kanye West on a receipt?