Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Almost two years since it's initial launch, I'm disappointed how few places that I frequent actually accept Apple Pay. I know retailers are coming on board every day, but it's yet to reach anything close to a critical mass where I could leave my wallet at home:

Grocery shopping - Giant: No. Harris Teeter: Yes.
Starbucks: No.
All sit-down restaurants: No. (Not sure how they would do this. Bring a device to your table?).
Gas stations: No.
Hallmark: No.
Subway: Yes.
Home Depot: No (after initially supporting it!).
Deli near my work: No.

Not complaining, just an observation. If it's only accepted at ~10% or less of the places that you spend your money, it's hardly worth remembering to use it.

Reactions: M. Gustave

jarodlee88

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2016
Almost two years since it's initial launch, I'm disappointed how few places that I frequent actually accept Apple Pay. I know retailers are coming on board every day, but it's yet to reach anything close to a critical mass where I could leave my wallet at home:

All sit-down restaurants: No. (Not sure how they would do this. Bring a device to your table?).

Not complaining, just an observation. If it's only accepted at ~10% or less of the places that you spend your money, it's hardly worth remembering to use it.
Well, compare that with Samsung Pay and Android Pay, Apple still has the lead. It'll take a while for everyone to accept this relatively new form of payment.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Retailers are slow even to change to chipped credit cards. Even the ones that have done that are not pairing them with PIN's. The security of the transaction is what makes ApplePay so attractive, not the convenience. Just takes more loss of CC numbers and account info and someday the retailers will wake-up and determine it's worth the effort and expense. Gonna take patience though.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Do credit card providers bundle it with their offerings or does the retailer have to subscribe separately?

Böhme417

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009

All of the Starbucks locations near me now take contactless payments (but not chips).

I would imagine it would work at a table service restaurant the same way it does in Europe (and has for a while with chip cards). Yes, they bring a device to your table.

It's also frustrating how few places are taking chip cards despite how long retailers have had to prepare for it. Day to day, I find more places taking contactless payments than accepting chip cards. I've only encountered two places, Target and Nordstrom, that take chips but not contactless.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Well, compare that with Samsung Pay and Android Pay, Apple still has the lead. It'll take a while for everyone to accept this relatively new form of payment.

I don't think there's much demand to pay with a mobile device outside of the Apple and Android fan sites, honestly. If there were, Samsung would be winning the marketshare war by miles and miles thanks to its support of older terminals.

I would imagine it would work at a table service restaurant the same way it does in Europe (and has for a while with chip cards). Yes, they bring a device to your table.

Also something that American restaurants mostly won't bother with. At best they'll probably do something app-based (like what Panera and OpenTable do) or if they're large enough, the Ziosk tablets at every table.

It's also frustrating how few places are taking chip cards despite how long retailers have had to prepare for it. Day to day, I find more places taking contactless payments than accepting chip cards. I've only encountered two places, Target and Nordstrom, that take chips but not contactless.

American retailers are more obsessed with fully integrated terminal processing than elsewhere, so they're mostly waiting for their POS system vendors to support/certify everything. Everyone who wasn't Visa and MasterCard also was assuming that we wouldn't bother with it until Target happened. Apparently that was a bad gamble on their part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.