Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
One thing I was happy about in getting my watch was to be able to start using apple pay. I don't like carrying cash around with me, mostly because I never seem to get to a bank or remember to get cash back when shopping for groceries.

But, I don't like the lack of ability for the app to include a service tip beyond what the actual product payment is. Suddenly I find the need, even with Apple pay, to carry around singles to tip the barista. This makes me sad.

Has anyone found a solution to the lack of a tip ability with Apple pay?

Reactions: Louis C

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
One thing I was happy about in getting my watch was to be able to start using apple pay. I don't like carrying cash around with me, mostly because I never seem to get to a bank or remember to get cash back when shopping for groceries.

But, I don't like the lack of ability for the app to include a service tip beyond what the actual product payment is. Suddenly I find the need, even with Apple pay, to carry around singles to tip the barista. This makes me sad.

Apple pay has been around since the iPhone 6 and I don't think anyone complained about the lack of tipping with it even back then.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Apple pay has been around since the iPhone 6 and I don't think anyone complained about the lack of tipping with it even back then.

What, am I the only person who tips and doesn't carry cash?!?

I will use an app written for a local sandwich shop (Ike's place) that has, as part of the order form, an automatic tip calculator where you can just pick a standard percentage value, 10%, 15% or 20% values, and then add that into the total.

I just think it would be nice if that could somehow be done with Apple pay and the tip make its way out of the store's till and into the employee tip jar.

Last edited:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
This isn't something Apple can really implement. It has to be handled on the merchant end, and their terminals need to be able to give the customer the option to add a tip amount.

The same has been true of the old magstripe cards, really... it's the not the credit card issuer that determines how tips are handled... that's an option configured in the card reader.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
One time I used Apple Pay at a pizza place and there was a tip line on the receipt. I'm surprised the coffee shop you go to doesn't do that.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I doubt Apple will do it, but when you use the Starbucks app, it prompts you for giving a tip after the transaction has been completed. I agree though, it's something that needs to be handled on the merchants end.

Last edited:
Reactions: caligurl

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Is this a coffee shop? I've always been able to add a tip after the fact when using a credit card in restaurants. I suppose Apple Pay doesn't allow that, in which case you can add the tip before completing the transaction. In fact, why don't you tell them "Please add $X to the bill for your tip"?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
What, am I the only person who tips and doesn't carry cash?!?

I will use an app written for a local sandwich shop (Ike's place) that has, as part of the order form, an automatic tip calculator where you can just pick a standard percentage value, 10%, 15% or 20% values, and then add that into the total.

I just think it would be nice if that could somehow be done with Apple pay and the tip make its way out of the store's till and into the employee tip jar.

leave your phone in the jar as a tip :p

Reactions: iBighouse

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Peet's Coffee here in Northern California takes Apple pay. I will ask them next time I go in about adding a tip to my charge.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
tipping has become pointless. It started as a way of rewarding good service or asking for service above and beyond whats offered. Now its just a way for employers to pay employees less wages.

its antiquated and outdated in its current form of tip everyone, tip everywhere.

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
Drifting topic now but I never really understood the American need to tip everyone all the time. Here in the UK we only really tip for exceptional service, "keep the change" or often to somebody like a paper boy around Christmas time.

Reactions: cambookpro

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Drifting topic now but I never really understood the American need to tip everyone all the time. Here in the UK we only really tip for exceptional service, "keep the change" or often to somebody like a paper boy around Christmas time.

I'd like that if I could do it, but here they rely on tips to supplement their lower than usual base wages. In your case, tips are built into their wages and hence you don't need to tip.

It's not really necessary to tip baristas in places like Starbucks, Peet's, The Coffee Bean, etc. and many of us don't do it. It's primarily the waiters/waitresses in sit-down restaurants that depend on tips to supplement their lower than usual base wages.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

They pay their staff absolute crap and rely on the customers to top it up. It's ridiculous. I hated working for tips.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I don't think this is the place to get into discussions on tipping etiquette. If that's something that interests you, I suggest the forums on Trip Advisor.

Louis C

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2016

I have been using my iphone6s with applepay since April. In Europe as there is no tipping, I was able to use it in restaurant etc. Back in Canada now I find myself having to use my credit card to pay restaurant bills. I need to insert my card and go through the process adding the tip and then my pin. Definately would love that the pos terminals be reprogrammed to allow applepay to add tips.

Also the $100 limit is a drag and I sure hope RBC bank will raise this limit for applepay users!

Reactions: 0098386

Jessem1133

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I have been using my iphone6s with applepay since April. In Europe as there is no tipping, I was able to use it in restaurant etc. Back in Canada now I find myself having to use my credit card to pay restaurant bills. I need to insert my card and go through the process adding the tip and then my pin. Definately would love that the pos terminals be reprogrammed to allow applepay to add tips.

Also the $100 limit is a drag and I sure hope RBC bank will raise this limit for applepay users!

Great, I was still curious about this a year later lol

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
The bakery I frequent uses Square as their POS, and there's a tip option when they spin the iPad around to me so that I can sign off (tap) on the total.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Tip or not has nothing to do with Apple Pay since Apple Pay is just another form of payment. Like a card, if the system is not made to ask it will not ask on your behalf. My Visa card never says anything when I pay but if the terminal is setup or the receipt is printed with the option I can make use of it.

Reactions: JayLenochiniMac

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I generally prefer to tip in cash. Here in the UK, tips added to a card payment count as a service charge and are administered by the company and, especially in chain restaurants, that is often not very fair at all. Cash counts as a tip the individual server. If, as is increasingly common, there's an optional service charge added to the bill I generally pay it and only then tip if device has been exceptional.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Sorry can't help myself.

hand_money_over.gif

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Without getting into the merits or otherwise of tipping, the short answer here is that Apple can't implement adding the tip on the Phone/Watch, because the amount for any transaction is dictated by the merchant terminal - the Phone/Watch can't set or change the amount being paid in an NFC transaction.

Reactions: BarracksSi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.