Apple Pay UK, anyone else excited?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by work3d, Jun 24, 2015.

?

Are you excited for Apple Pay to come to the UK?

1. Yes

71.1%
  2. No

12.0%
  3. I hate you Barclays!

21.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. work3d macrumors member

I'm with Lloyds but couldn't wait so I went and signed up with Natwest, I'll transfer my lunch funds over to the Natwest account at the start of each week (Which will help me save also). I've been waiting for this feature since the iPhone 6 was announced, and even more when my watch was delivered.

Has anyone changed banks? Or am i just a little over excited?

2. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Yes I'm looking forward to it. My bank is a launch partner, though on a chat to one of their staff members they said they suspect it won't launch until the end of month due to the lack of information they have on it.

I see no problem with people switching account for it. If Apple pay makes it easier for you to manage your money and pay for things then why not, after all isn't that what a bank is supposed to do?

3. AppleFanBoy82 macrumors member

which bank was that then that said end of the month

4. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

RBS, which is the same company as Natwest.

The guy on the online chat said that since they have had no new information then he would imagine it's launch would be towards the end of July. It was anything official, just an educated prediction.
    This was late last week.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Glad it's happening annoyed that some terminals are limited to £20

6. shenfrey macrumors 68000

It's great that my natwest account will use apple pay but Barclays is my pain bank and I hope they launch apple pay sooner rather than later.

7. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I'm not really excited for it because it's just a payment system. I find it difficult to get enthusiastic about paying for things in a slightly different way. I honestly don't find paying with my debit card all that inconvenient enough to be excited by Apple Pay.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's not an improvement because it is, it's just not something to get excited about.

Apple Music on the other hand I am excited about. Having used iTunes for over a decade as my main music player being able to just play any song I want with just the nominal subscription price is exciting to me.

8. work3d thread starter macrumors member

I've wanted to be able to pay with my mobile for years, when i had an android phone i tried to get Google Wallet working it just wouldn't have it.

Instead of rustling through my wallet trying to squeeze my card out between my Oyster card and others, either double clicking my watch or putting my phone next to the reader will be amazing. The £20 purchase limit is annoying though. That really does need to be removed.

And yes I'm very excited about Apple Music, basically the entire library for £9.99 and beats radio helping to find new music. It's a very good mix.

9. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

Not excited in the slightest. Mainly because I've got a 5s !

10. work3d thread starter macrumors member

But would you be if you had a 6 or 6+?

11. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

12. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

i'm kind of excited to try it (on my 6) but probably won't be that excited for long. also i'm probably just a bit of a dummy but on some terminals in places you're unfamiliar with, it's not immediately clear if they take contactless card until the last moment when they're ready to take the payment... i'm usually a bit keen at check out and have my card ready to put in quite early, usually before they're ready for the payment, and it means sometimes i've used chip & pin when i could have used contactless as i realised too late. so for me adding a third option is just going to make me more nervous... do i need my phone or card out? etc....

13. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

Not particularly. I'm still not sure I have total conficence in the security of the system.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I wouldn't say I'm excited but I will be trying it out.

15. work3d thread starter macrumors member

Honestly I'm looking forward to getting rid of my wallet. Would also be amazing if I could add my Oyster card as one of the cards with my monthly travel card. The day you can leave your card and your cash at home will be a good day :)

16. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I have a 5s. Yes, my understanding is that you can use it for in app purchases. I would love to have a list of supported apps though, I guess it's somewhere out there on the Internet.

17. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

No because a £20 limit means I still have to carry a card.

18. wsc9005 macrumors regular

Not really, since Barclays won't be participating in July :(

19. wsc9005 macrumors regular

I actually think it's a nice limit :) It's enough for me to get breakfast at Greggs, lunch at work, and also my daily grocery shops :p

20. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

There is a list on Apple's UK website of apps that will support it a launch. Also retailers will be able to support it in Safari as well.

21. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Plenty of places will not have a limit.
    The amount of places that will be limited to £20 will sharp decrease.

22. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I bothered to look. Here is the link if anyone else is interested. https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-pay/where-to-use-apple-pay/

Pretty embarrassingly poor range of stores. For some reason Apple thinks we're obsessed with eating junk food, it makes up a third of all supported Apps or stores.

23. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

The main issue is the amount of wireless terminals out there. Some of the big stores don't even have them yet.

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I asked HSBC about this and they have no information yet to give.

I'm thinking we are going to see the 'hiccups' our friends across the pond had on this.

The last time I tried to use a contact less payment via my Debit Card the shop assistant didn't know what I was doing, didn't know if she had to do anything and didn't know if the machine was turned on.

I gave up and paid by cash.

25. Will22, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015

Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

Are you sure about that?

I'm not excited about it because mainly because I very rarely spend less than £20 in one transaction. Breakfast I have at home, I can only wish that lunch cost £20 or less, I get my food shopping online and I don't buy junk food.