Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
When will the UK £30 limit be lifted for Apple Pay.

I know a few outlets accept higher payments.

Apple Pay must be the most secure payment method in my possession yet I can't spend £31 on it while at the same time I can spend an unlimited sum on my card which is secured by a puny 4 digit pin.

Madness.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Discussed to death in the "Apple Pay in the UK" thread but the rule of thumb is standard contactless terminal = £30 limit; contactless terminal at a retailer displaying the Apple Pay logo = no* limit.

*Or at least a limit so massively high you'd never run into it unless buying a house. :p

Also your Apple Pay is only as secure as your iPhone passcode, because you can choose to pay with that instead of your fingerprint. And 1) lots of people use four digit passcodes meaning it's only as secure as a PIN, and 2) people tend to be more liberal with who knows their phone passcode than who knows their PIN - so it's arguably less secure.

Reactions: Pagemakers

Baron015

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
Discussed to death in the "Apple Pay in the UK" thread but the rule of thumb is standard contactless terminal = £30 limit; contactless terminal at a retailer displaying the Apple Pay logo = no* limit.

*Or at least a limit so massively high you'd never run into it unless buying a house. :p

Also your Apple Pay is only as secure as your iPhone passcode, because you can choose to pay with that instead of your fingerprint. And 1) lots of people use four digit passcodes meaning it's only as secure as a PIN, and 2) people tend to be more liberal with who knows their phone passcode than who knows their PIN - so it's arguably less secure.

Just use the same 4-digit number for PIN and Passcode, problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.