Apple Pay vs My Amex card WTF Signature Required

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rstark18, Oct 25, 2014.

1. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

I used Apple pay for the first time today for my weekly shopping at Whole Foods.
    As has been stated countless times elsewhere I went through the steps:
    Hold phone up to terminal.
    Use touch ID
    Sign terminal. WAIT. what, I have to sign?

Now compare this to my Amex card that I have been using there for years:
    Hold my wallet up to the terminal (I don't even take the card out of the wallet).
    That's it. No extra steps or signing. One step.

The reason the signing irks me is it is a relic from the past. Banks DO NOT look at the signature. In fact I know there is a coffee house that encourages people to be creative on the signature of the CC receipts and they get all kinds of art on them.

Now with regards to Whole Foods and I assume all the places accepting NFC, They do not require a signature on all NFC transactions as is apparent by me using my NFC capable Amex card.
    I guess I will continue using Apple Pay just because of the security aspect of it but I hope they do away with the stupid required signature.

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Whole foods is requiring that on their own. When I go to Duane Reade I don't do a signature. They just have 40 screens begging for money for various causes they support. I wish they wouldn't.

3. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

I still had to enter my pin at the Nike store even though I used ApplePay. I assume overtime instances where more than using TouchID to confirm an ApplePay transaction will soon be rectified. Hey, it still hasn't been a full seven days.