Apple pay was declined after 6 hours

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by ahostmadsen, Nov 7, 2016.

1. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I made an Apple pay payment of $5. About 6 hours later I got a message on my device that my payment had been declined. After that I tried to buy something with the credit card linked to Apple Pay. No issues with the credit card.

I have a hard time interpreting this. Doesn't Apple Pay charge immediately to the credit card? How can it decline after 6 hours? How can vendors then trust Apple Pay? It seems to me I got a free lunch.

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Not sure what happened but one thing I can mention. When you make the payment, its not exactly making it against the card. Its asking the bank if you have funds and setting up the transaction with the terminal. Your card being charged is a by product of the transaction since your card is not saved or used in the process. Your bank handles the relationship on their side. So, you could have a failed transaction without being related to the card you input in your device.

3. Hookem09 macrumors newbie

I had problems with Apple Pay on the Starbucks app on Friday. I tried about eight different times to reload my card. Each failed, but those transactions appeared with my bank for the rest of the day.

4. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Starbucks app was having some serious problems over the weekend - we couldn't reload it either.

5. Hookem09 macrumors newbie

I suppose I'm pleased it wasn't just me who had issues! :)