Apple Pay, what happens when you sell your phone ?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by stylinexpat, Oct 24, 2014.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I wonder how many hackers will be out trying to retrieve info from used iPhine 6 and 6+ models that they have bought. Down the road we shall find out just how safe and secure they really are. Ideally it would be better if one could just use prepaid cards in there for safety.

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Good point. I don't think I'd trust an "erase all content and settings" or a restore to get rid of the data, as well know that doesn't really erase your data. That said, you don't sell your fingerprint when you sell your iPhone (assuming you wipe it clean so they can lift your prints of the sold phone - the only way documented to hack TouchID).

I may run my phone over with my car when I buy a new one.

3. gtstricky macrumors regular

gtstricky

Why would they? Way to much work. They can just send out Phishing emails and all the info they want.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

People have killed for far less money. There's no limit on human greed.

5. Seannyb macrumors member

Seannyb

Hackers will have no luck finding such information...

http://www.cnet.com/news/everything-you-want-to-know-about-apple-pay/
    --->scroll to the part "Is it Secure"?

Also, anyone with half a brain restores their phone info and its settings before selling it.

6. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Remember that the credit card number is never stored in the device at all... this is a big part of the reason that banks need to specifically support Apple Pay. The phone gets registered with the bank with it's own unique identifier... and when the device is wiped or the cards are unregistered then that phone's unique identifier can not be used for purchases anymore, so even if someone were able to retrieve that information from the phone it would be as useless to them as finding a lost credit card that had already been deactivated.

7. caesarp macrumors 6502a

A. The full credit card data is not ON the phone

B. They need your fingerprint anyway.

You need to read up on tokenization and the Apple Pay system. This is way more secure than the plastic card you have in your wallet right now, which has your name, the full card number, expiration date and CVV code.

----------

Do you guys read about Apple Pay before posting? There is no credit card data stored on the phone (except last 4 digits). There is nothing to gain credit card-wise by hacking the phone. And they can't use Apple Pay on the phone without your fingerprints or passcode.

And, if so, you can disable the cards or erase the phone remotely.

Sheesh.

8. newellj, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

newellj macrumors 601

Heck, arguably the issue goes the other way. Log out of iCloud and see what happens to your ApplePay information on the phone. :eek:

Edit to elaborate: the data is arguably too perishable, rather than too persistent.

9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

10. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

they'll need your fingerprint in which will no longer be on the device once you wipe it and all other data include card info

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

As stated before there is NO CC info to retrieve. There is only a randomly assigned 16 digit token that becomes useless as soon as you deactivate or activate another iPhone.

This is one of the advantages of the system. You can NEVER lose your CC or info since there in none. You will never have to have a CC changed or replaced using Apple Pay because there is NO CC info involved.