Apple Pay Will Reportedly Launch in Germany This Week, Possibly Tomorrow

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Pay will make its long-awaited debut in Germany this week, according to German blog Macerkopf.

[​IMG]

The report, citing unnamed sources within German banking circles, says the launch will likely occur on Tuesday with mobile bank N26 and Comdirect expected to be among the initial participating issuers in the country.

Apple CEO Tim Cook confirmed that Apple Pay would launch in Germany by the end of this year back in July. Apple Pay is also listed as "coming soon" on Apple's website in Germany, so a launch is to be expected imminently.

Apple Pay first launched in the United States in October 2014 and has since expanded to many other countries, including the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, China, Singapore, Switzerland, France, Japan, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Russia, New Zealand, Brazil, Poland, Ireland, and Ukraine.

Apple Pay expanded to Belgium and Kazakhstan in late November.

Article Link: Apple Pay Will Reportedly Launch in Germany This Week, Possibly Tomorrow

2. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

Can´t believe it took this long to launch in Germany

3. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

4. saschke macrumors 6502

5. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

6. tobyx macrumors regular

tobyx

7. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

Probably another 4 years for NL...with its completely archaic financial system (and phone networks)

8. Frign macrumors regular

It took them long enough. I'm looking forward to it!

9. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

A continuous running gag in the local media the last couple of weeks...yet haven't received any note from DB which also participates. Let's see and also hope for Apple Pay Cash!

10. MaximizedAction macrumors member

Well, you know. Neuland and all.

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Someone who understands what the issue actually is. How refreshing

12. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Huh....
    Did I read this correctly.....:confused:

13. Labrat561 macrumors newbie

Labrat561

--- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2018 ---
    I use Apple daily for security reasons.

14. tuckerjj macrumors member

I had a full screen “Apple Pay coming soon” notification appear when I opened the DB app last night (this is on top of the section in the main app screen which has been there for a while) so the signs are looking good for this week.

15. Ohples macrumors newbie

Ohples

USA: Hold my beer

16. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

Apple Pay is still releasing in other countries? It's been over four years.

17. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Still >100 to go....

18. iGeek2014 macrumors 68020

Yeah and there are plenty of countries Apple have still to launch the service in, let alone Apple Pay Cash-that’s a year old now isn’t it?!

19. groadyho Suspended

groadyho

Apple Pay is one of those things that has stopped me from switching over completely to iPhone, I own a MBP. I'm so used to Samsung Pay that is accepted everywhere Visa an MC is. It's just so easy

20. alexhardaker macrumors regular

21. Sasparilla, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018

Sasparilla macrumors 65816

ApplePlay (or GooglePay etc.) uptake is controlled by the banking systems / governments in the host countries so yeah, as to be expected. Its amazing they got cash centric Germany onboard this soon, but very nice to see.

Samsung's payment tech is great here in the U.S. (since it imitates a card swipe at terminals that don't have wireless enabled and that's still alot of businesses like that here in the U.S.). Had a s9 for a time last year and got to play with it, worked very well. The only fly in the ointment is the huge EULA you have to agree to when you setup SamsungPay - just reading a little you can see they're going to monetize the heck out of your purchase information, which is a bummer since they didn't need to do that.

22. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

Add an extra five years for Apple Cash as well.

23. tmiw macrumors 68000

At least where I live most places accept NFC now. And in my experience, Samsung Pay has had more issues in comparison to Apple and Google Pay.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US ends up the only country that ever has it. A lot of other places already have well-established instant money transfer methods that are native to their respective banking systems, so Apple Pay Cash is a hard sell.

24. hardwickj macrumors member

Good luck with this. Germany is still very much a cash-based country, as I discovered when spending 2 months in Berlin this summer. Wanna pay for lunch with a credit card? Nein! Many restaurants simply don't accept credit card. It's kind of shocking actually.

Also, in the off chance they do support contactless payments, the brand/make of terminal that most places use is so wretchedly awful you'll just default to cash to avoid the hassle.

25. clauzzz203 macrumors 6502

In Germany you can’t even pay with a credit card in most places..