Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreenPixel

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2014
That's unfortunate. And the same transit card can't be on an iPhone and Apple Watch at the same time either.
I agree. I wish it was the same number. like a dingus I actually added my card I use which receives a transit benefit every month. So I’ll have to go modify that transit benefit since the card is no longer valid. Not a hard fix, mind you, but I had an alternate card I could have used as well.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Cool just added an old smartrip card! It does “move” the money and the card number I don’t think you can use both. The Washington DC metro is the only one listed at this point. You need the card number and the physical card the iPhone actually “reads” the chip in the card. You start the process in the iOS wallet app by choosing Add A Card.
Portland is listed for me too, however it only shows up if you have their app installed and set it up.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I agree. I wish it was the same number. like a dingus I actually added my card I use which receives a transit benefit every month. So I’ll have to go modify that transit benefit since the card is no longer valid. Not a hard fix, mind you, but I had an alternate card I could have used as well.

I imagine millions of us will be modifying their transit benefits, the new option is so much better. I'm wondering though, how hard will it be to reach my watch to the metro parking lot card readers?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Yes -- use the SmarTrip app to set it up.
Uou can just create a new card on Apple wallet but there’s a $10 minimum.
If you’re using any transit Or government benefits or anything you will have to link the new card on the iPhone by doing it on the transit benefits website.

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2017
DC Area
I imagine millions of us will be modifying their transit benefits, the new option is so much better. I'm wondering though, how hard will it be to reach my watch to the metro parking lot card readers?

This is a really good question. Since my job provides transit benefits but not parking, I will probably keep using the card for parking if using my watch is too much of a...uh...stretch (sorry). Then again, since I'm likely not setting foot again on Metro this year, I've got a few months to see how things work for everyone.

Reactions: Iconoclysm

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
This is a really good question. Since my job provides transit benefits but not parking, I will probably keep using the card for parking if using my watch is too much of a...uh...stretch (sorry). Then again, since I'm likely not setting foot again on Metro this year, I've got a few months to see how things work for everyone.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat - I won't actually test this for a long, long time.

chill991

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2020
Does anyone know if it works in London? Was supposed to go life in March or so, but I didn't have any opportunity to try it.

We were in London last September, just use a credit card from the wallet. You will want a card that does not have a foreign transaction fee. The wife and I used out apple cards.

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
Any tips or known requirements on transferring a card? I tried to transfer my DC SmartTrip card, but my iPhone 8+ wouldn’t read the chard when I placed in the card as the Wallet depicts.

chill991

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2020
Any tips or known requirements on transferring a card? I tried to transfer my DC SmartTrip card, but my iPhone 8+ wouldn’t read the chard when I placed in the card as the Wallet depicts.

My wife and I haven't been able to transfer our cards, they are old. Our phones will not detect the cards, no matter what we try.

thomasluke231

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2013
That's unfortunate. And the same transit card can't be on an iPhone and Apple Watch at the same time either.
This is the same for all digital Apple Pay transit cards (Japan Suica, Hong Kong Octopus, Several China T-Union Transit cards). The card can only be added on one device at a time, as the value is stored offline on the device.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
This is the same for all digital Apple Pay transit cards (Japan Suica, Hong Kong Octopus, Several China T-Union Transit cards). The card can only be added on one device at a time, as the value is stored offline on the device.

I get the card/phone only one thing. But why hasn't apple designed the watch to be able to use the value stored on the phone (at least if they're paired)?
[automerge]1599051951[/automerge]
I still didn’t see this SmarTrip as an option in the wallet app. My regional setting is US already.

I think it may pop up only if you're located in the DC area? The option came up for me as I live in the area.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

Have you registered your card online with WMATA? I didn't succeed until I changed my phone number to my home rather than mobile number.

Reactions: DaveF

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
This works fine for Senior SmarTrip card also.

The transfer failed the first time though because I had the phone (iPhone XS) too far up on the card. The top of the phone should be about the middle of the card, not higher.

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
I get the card/phone only one thing. But why hasn't apple designed the watch to be able to use the value stored on the phone (at least if they're paired)?
[automerge]1599051951[/automerge]

I think it may pop up only if you're located in the DC area? The option came up for me as I live in the area.
That would be awkward. It's supposed to work for visitors too. Maybe you need to set it up using the app for that to happen?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

If you wear your watch on your left hand, how much reach do you lose from your wrist to fingertips holding your card?

63W

macrumors regular
May 10, 2020
I don't even have an option on my 6S Plus to add a SmartTrip card to my Wallet. Running iOS 13.7.

Kenko

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2020
I looked at my account online and my card number is the 9 digits on the left.

Tried to transfer my card, but it's not being read by the phone. I've only $2 on it, so I may just stop using it and use the phone going forward.
I had the same problem...iPhone could not read old card.... so I just added money to the new virtual card in wallet - kept old card for backup or friend to use .. now I just need to get an Apple Watch to make this really work well. :)

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
What about the Seniors SmartTrip card. If I load it into Wallet, does it still act as a Seniors SmartTrip card or just as a regular SmartTrip card?

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
Question for anyone using this, if you lose your phone or format/install iOS from scratch can you "re-add" your card using the new card number from the wmata site?

speedyraf

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
My iPhone SE is up to date concerning iOS 14.1 but I don't see an option to add a transit card in Apple wallet - SmartCard for DC Metro area. Is my iPhone too old?

Jon20001

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2017
iPhone: 38.961334,-77.006119
Question for anyone using this, if you lose your phone or format/install iOS from scratch can you "re-add" your card using the new card number from the wmata site?
Just got through a hell of a time after upgrading to iPhone 12Pro. The SmartTrip card did not transfer over during the transfer/new phone setup process. I called WMATA customer service (quick to answer, very good techs), who suggested that I purchase a new SmartTrip card through the SmartTrip app, and install on the phone. They then transferred over any credit from the old card. In hindsight, I believe it was because the pass was still on my Apple Watch. My suggestion -- remove your SmartTrip card from all devices before upgrading to a new phone or restoring an old one.

Reactions: jpiszcz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.