Apple pay with iPhone 5s + apple watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AndrewForeva, Sep 10, 2014.

1. AndrewForeva macrumors member

Since the apple watch supports apple pay with NFC, Would apple pay still work with the apple watch if it is paired with an iPhone 5s?

What do you guys think?

2. mattopotamus, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I could see it going either way. I can easily see apple making it a 6/6+ exclusive. Logic says it should work since the watch has NFC and apple pay would work on the 5s for purchases online using touch ID

I'm actually surprised no one asked this sooner.

Edit: the more I think about it, the more I see it working with all of the devices the watch is compatible with. They want people to adopt apple pay. The best way to do that is making it work with as many devices as possible. It should work for the 5/5c/5s/6/6+

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

It depends on what they decide to do. It should be doable.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Knowing Apple, they can easily cripple it in the name of security (i.e., requires NFC instead of bluetooth to communicate between the watch and iPhone).

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I'm almost certain Apple said it would with 5, 5C and 5S. Also someone (after demo) talked about authentication on the Watch (no fingerprint reader). They said that the Watch used a passcode which only needed to be entered if it loses contact with your skin.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They said they're compatible but the catch here is they weren't referring specifically to Apple Pay.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I should have clarified the NFC portion of Apple Pay, as Apple Pay is quite broad and can be done online and through other non-NFC means. So while Apple Pay can be done online linking the watch and iPhone 5/5c/5s, I wouldn't be surprised if they cripple the NFC portion for older iPhones in a typical Apple fashion.

9. DavidTheExpert macrumors regular

The iphone 6 has that special separated component for storing secure card info.

10. Julien, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The Watch has its own NFC chip. You don't have to pull your iPhone out so the iPhone 5 will work even without NFC. You swipe the Watch.

Apple is making a % off each transactions so it is in their financial interest to get as much Apple Pay as possible. Also they are interesting in cornering the NFC payment market and this means as much saturation as possible.

This is not a normal 'don't add Siri' to force an upgrade situation. They are 'forcing' you to buy a Watch after all. EDIT: Also by buying an Apple Watch your are' forced' to buy your next iPhone (6S) to keep the Watch working. It all works to keep you in the Apple ecosystem.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Good point and I hope you're correct.

12. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Based on the bottom of this page, it seems like you'll be able to use Apple Pay as long as it's paired with iPhone 5 or higher.

http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

I wonder how they'll work around that without Touch ID.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

As I said in post number 5:

The Watch uses a passcode which only needs to be entered if it loses contact with your skin.