Apple Pay without iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Juanefny, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Juanefny macrumors regular

So I've been trying to find the answer to this all over and can't. So I understand you don't need your iPhone with you to make an Apple Pay purchase. So how does the watch verify that you have funds if it can't connect to the internet since the iPhone is not present to make that connection?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The iPhone has NEVER verified funds. If you use a CC by itself how does it verify funds? It is the CC terminal that does this.

3. Juanefny thread starter macrumors regular

Duh! :eek:
    LMAO Thanks so much. Not sure what I was thinking there....

4. SquirrelHatr14, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015

SquirrelHatr14 macrumors newbie

My best guess is that all Apple Pay does is say "I'm a credit card!". The processing of if you have funds available is still run through the terminals at the Point of Sales devices at retailers.

A curious test would be to put your phone on airplane mode and try to make a purchase with Apple Pay.

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Your Apple Watch, just like your iPhone 6/6 Plus, works like a virtual credit card, nothing more. No internet connection is needed for either device for the transaction to work.

The attempted charge will make the merchant reach out to your credit card company (or bank, if it's a debit card) to make sure the funds are available.

It is only at that point where your iPhone, if it has a data connection, may give back a push notification from your credit card company or bank that a transaction occurred, and if your Watch is near your iPhone, it will receive the same notification as well.

6. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Think about your debit/credit card. It's not connected to the internet. It's essentially the same thing. The NFC reader is the component that does all of the network communication.

7. jigzaw macrumors 6502

Quick dumb question (probably) about Apple Pay on the watch- does Apple Pay on the watch work only on iPhone 6 and 6+, or will it work even though I have a 5S (which doesn't support Apple Pay on its own)?

8. mrboba1 macrumors regular

Works all the way down to a 5, so yes, it will work.

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

10. tivoboy macrumors 68030

add cards

and you have to all all the cards you want AGAIN to the apple watch apple pay side of the app / watch. Each device needs to authenticate with each card to be enabled.